LegacyGT.com

subaru weight savings

True that DAP, but I was going from generation to generation comparision. Nice to see the bloat has at least halted, and even backed up a bit, especially with a car that is phsysically larger and packing much more power along with the larger wheels, brakes, etc... In fact, has any other car lost weight from one generation to the next? I can't think of any off the top of my head. -B

Which model are you comparing DAP? It's not 500lbs heavier over here at least in turbo trim. ;) Just for a ballpark figure, a 1993 Legacy Sport Turbo Sedan ([url=http://www.edmunds.com/used/1993/subaru/legacy/8948/specs.html?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Subaru*]Edmunds doesn't say if Auto or Manual[/url]), but it's listed as 3,180 pounds. Now I don't know where you guys are coming from, but a new base GT Sedan doesn't weigh 3,680lbs. Maybe a decked-out Outback, but not a base GT sedan. ;) Less than 100lbs more in all actuality.

I think it's a small price to pay. My 05 GT only cost a little more then my 00 GT compared to the gains. you won't hear me complaining.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Bruno1453']And just think about how much weight all the airbags and associated electronics and such must add.[/quote] US bumper beams too :P[/quote] And the all-important feature for USDM cars: cupholders. :lol: Ken

[quote name='DAP']It was a 91 legacy sedan automatic with 4wd (you could get fwd at that time). Also at that time there was no turbo available.[/quote] DAP, look [url=http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive.html#1991]HERE[/url]. I know the turbo Legs were in production from 1991 to 1994. Also the car you list was still nowheres near a variance of 500lbs. The base Auto AWD model is listed as 3,060lbs.

I just thought about this last night, the USDM front and back bars remind me of the new Lancer from Mitsu, they are huge and that is the only thing I could certainly compare the bars in the US with. Has anyone else seen these and what are yr thoughts ?

Weight savings is a lovely thing. Just for the hell of it, I looked up some models that could be considered competitors to a LGT. A Honda Accord V6 coupe, Acura TSX, Lexus IS300 and BMW 325 are all within 50 lbs of a GT; the Accord is actually a smidgen heavier. This is despite all those cars being designed without the extra mass an AWD system necessitates. Need I mention that these all lose out to the LGT in both power and torque too? Step up to a Infiniti and there's approximately a 100lb weight penalty by going with a G35 (which increases to about 300lbs of pork if you opt for the AWD G35X variant). Cross the street to a Volkswagen dealership and you'll have to contend with an AWD Passat that, like the G35x, has 300 lbs of cheeze whiz remnants around its tummy to haul about. Yup, lots to love about the Scooby. 8) -CW

Archived