LegacyGT.com

Strange noise after Stage I flash???v

I got my Cobb AP last week and flashed to stage 1, 91. I've put about 200 miles on the car since with nothing but positive things to say about it. But this morning, I drove the car to the airport and it started making a new noise. It sounds like the intake "woosh" you get by adding a Perrin panel filter and removing the intake silencer (which I've done). The weird thing is that the intake noise comes from the right front of the car. This is a similiar noise but it seems to be coming from the back-center or back-left of the engine compartment. It's very consistent and happens adjacent to the intake woosh on the throttle curve but continues as I apply power all the way up to ~5000rpm.

So, am I hearing the blow-off valve? If this is totally normal then I'll drop it, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something wrong as it started rather abruptly is very noticeable. I not totally sure, but the car also felt slightly sluggish today. This may have been the headwind on the way to the airport though. I think I'll hold on declaring that until I drive it some more.

Any other people out there with identical setups that could chime in?

Thanks in advance,

-Erik

Sounds like it may be your filter. When I installed my AVO panel filter, I noticed the same thing (btw - I didn't care for it and went back to the stock filter).

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Does the car still feel the same? If it has less power I'd be inclined to say you have a boost leak and you may want ot check the I/C tabs to make sure they are all in tact. If it feels the same then you may just be hearing some of the intake noise/wastegate fluttering.

So, I've read on this forum about the potential intake noise. I actually like it too. This sound was different though. While it was related to the woosh of the intake it was closer to the cabin. The ambient temp was 52 F. When I get back, the first thing I'll check are the IC tabs and vacuum hoses near the IC. I just hope I didn't blow a gasket on the manifold or DP. I'll also reassess the power of the car and try to determine if it has lost power. I really need to spring for an OBD scanner so I can watch the boost. Has anyone ever experienced this on a stage I? I've heard of similiar stuff happening on a highly modded stage II, but never with just a flash and panel filter. One other question, could this noise be caused by a partially stuck waste gate?

Ok, I just got back and checked for loose hoses, etc. Nothing. The noise persists and the car is definitely not as quick. I hooked up my AP and watched the RT boost. in 3rd @ 4000rpm I'm at 10.5psi max, and 4th @ 4000rpm is 12.5psi max. Idle boost is -7 to -8psi. Temp was 55 F. Elevation 5500ft.

This is starting to look more like I have a boost leak. It's not a hose (I think), any ideas where to look next?

Ok, took a better look at things this morning, removed the engine cover and IC and discovered the hose clamp on the hose going from the IC to the intake was popped off slightly (on the intake side). I reattached everything and the noise stopped and RT boost @ 4000rpm in 4th was 15.3psi peak. The car felt like it did before the noise. What difference 3psi makes!

Also, while I was under there, I replaced the t-fitting under the IC with a brass t-fitting w/barbs, and added mini-hose clamps to the other vacuum lines. One thing I was a little pissed off about is that I checked the torque on the bolts holding the IC down and the IC hose clamps. Bolts on the turbo side were 1/2 the spec torque, as was the hose clamp nut on the side of the IC that was still on. Either Subaru isn't following their own specs or they loosened themselves somehow.

I've never really looked closely at the IC on my XT, but after pulling it out I was surprised how flimsy it looks.

At least everything is fine now, on to other mods until something else breaks! Thanks for the suggestions, this forum really rocks!

Thanks,

-Erik

Archived