LegacyGT.com

Now I know why the Legacy is always looked as a Camry...

the new camry's seem to be the "new hotness" around here. they had to step up their design b/c that had to produce something that would "remotely" (and i use that term VERY VERY loosely) race well next year as they step into Busch and Cup racing. i gotta admit, they look pretty hot and i didn't know they were packing 270hp.

Kenda:dm:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Camry too heavy tho

Not really - definately not by modern car standards. IIRC the new 4cyl even weighs slightly less than an LGT, and the Camry is a bigger and much roomier car. IIRC the V6 does weigh more than an LGT, but again we're talking about a bigger car.

Not really - definately not by modern car standards. IIRC the new 4cyl even weighs slightly less than an LGT, and the Camry is a bigger and much roomier car. IIRC the V6 does weigh more than an LGT, but again we're talking about a bigger car.

4cyl Camry is ~85 pounds heavier than the 2.5i Legacy. The Camry is a bigger car all around, but then the Legacy has the extra weight of the AWD components.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I was wondering wether I should bother mentioning AWD's problems. I actually typed out a little blurb about it all then erased it on a whim before posting :icon_neut

This is getting OT, but I'm actually suprised at how well the Legacy, especially the 2.5i, is selling is some places. Personally with < 200hp (or, rather < 200hp with the weight of a modern sedan) if I didn't actually need AWD (AWD + M/S tires = pass chain control w/o chains) I'd much rather have 2WD for the quicker acceleration, better mileage, and overall more fun (IMO). RWD for folks in socal, the bay area, and the south, or FWD for the east coast below New England. Heck, with > 200hp I'd take RWD over FWD and AWD for sure if I didn't have to drive in any snow or ice.

I'm not saying the new Legacy isn't a nice car - it is a nice car, and that's one of the reasons I just bought one. But I suspect there's a lot of folks driving Legacies who'd actually like driving a similar 2WD car more.

Or maybe not :) I might just be missing my older, slower, non-luxurious 2WD car that was honestly much more fun around town. The LGT is easily the most fun car that met my car buying requirements though. A short shifter and a better engine+exhaust note should help a lot (SS is on its way; the exhaust I'll probably get to eventually). Now if only it didn't feel like the 3300-3400 lbs it is... (I know that's light compared to its competitors and in fact that's a good part of the reason I bought it, but it still is and feels a lot heavier than a 2WD compact.)

I just went out to visit some buddies in SoCal, LA specifically, and so I got there and was riding around in my friend's 06 civic for a week. Upon getting back to Boston I actually said, "If I lived out there I wouldn't have bought the car I did." There just doesn't seem to be any need for awd out there, which is probably why I saw so few subarus, except for the occasional STi that somebody bought for horse. But here in New England the awd is GOLDEN.

And I don't really think anyone will be able to convince me that my LGT is too heavy or sluggish, especially if you examine all cars at the same price point.

Archived