LegacyGT.com

New 06 Legacy GT Spec.b drank all 5 quarts!

PLEASE HELP

My second oil change and it took all 5 quarts from the big jug to bring the oil level to the full mark. What gives? Last time it seemed ok but now it seems like it took much more oil than the manual says. The car was sitting all day when I drained the oil. Is that the difference? I also filled the oil filter up prior to installation like the walkthrough suggested. What is the deal? The dipstick should read full after 4.2 quarts right? I've got at least 5 in there now.

Please advise.

EDIT:

So I did some more research and found a thread which discussed this exact issue. Apparently the manual specified 4.2qts but that doesn't include the oil filter. (NICE JOB SUBARU) If you change the oil filter than you'll need 5.3qts according to Subaru. Interesting. That's why I felt barely full after 5 full quarts. At least I feel better now. I kept looking under the car to see if the oil was flowing out of my fumoto oil valve. I just kept filling and filling and checking and filling. :)

Hope this helps another new owner who's trying to follow the book!

I'm not quite sure i believe the reference w/ the oil filter. Our filters certainly do NOT take 1.1 qts.

That being said, most of my changes have been proably around 4.5 - 4.8 qts. This is with only draining for maybe 10-15 min. It still drips slightly at that point, so you most likely just drained every last bit out. I wouldn't worry.

I've used 5 quarts before, too.

Don't worry about it. :)

Can't see into the engine ( unless you're Superman! ;) ) - so I just go by the dipstick. Whatever it reads and demands, I obey!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

One thing that I have found is that the Subaru motors require a bit more time for the oil to settle at the full level. In other words, when filling to the full mark, if you don't wait long enough for the oil to settle, you will end up being overfull.

How were you checking that the level was still low? Right after pouring in the oil? While the car was still on jackstands or ramps? It takes some time for oil to soak down through the engine and get back into the pan where the dipstick measures the level. If the front of your car is lifted, it can also affect the reading (dipstick is towards the front of the engine).

I don't think you'll have a problem with 5 quarts, but if you put in too much oil, the crank may dip down into it, especially under braking, and would froth the oil and reduce it's effectiveness. I put 4 1/2 in mine for the first oil change and I checked it the other day (about 2500 miles later) it's right around the 1/2 - 1/3 full mark. I need to change my oil this weekend.

Side note, is there a jack point on the front of these cars? I ended up having to go in behind the passanger side wheel to jack the damn car up for my first oil change. Where do you guys lift the front?

My two cents. By my quick calculations I have done between 200 and 220 oil changes on my own cars in my life (not all of them on Subarus). I have never filled the oil filter with oil before installing it. I have never had to add more oil than the service recommendation for an oil change (4.2 qts for our 2.5 liter NA's...haven't changed the GT's oil yet). 4.2 qts brings it right to the proper level. I only check the oil when the car is cold so that all of it has had a chance to drain back into the pan. After I change the oil, I start the engine to check for leaks, let it run a few minutes, shut it off and check the oil level the next morning. Oh yeah, I have never had an oil related part failure (knock on wood).:icon_bigg
It is still ugly.

As far as a jack point, I use the frame cross member just behind the plastic underpanel to lift the front of the car. One side note: After lowereing a jacked car it will not be level until you roll the car to allow the suspension to settle to it's correct ride height.

After installing the fumoto oil vlave oil chagnes are a snap. I still take my time because I'm just that way but it doesn't require much of anything. The only tool I use is a small screwdriver to carefully take off the oil filter's cover. Other than then its a twist here and a push of a lever here and the oil is out.

No jacks, no stands. Just get on my back and reach for the valve and then twist off the oil filter. This guy came buy handing out infomration for a real estate agency a few weeks ago and he handed me a can opener that was just a rubber piece of material. It works great for gripping the oil filter and taking it off!

How were you checking that the level was still low? Right after pouring in the oil? While the car was still on jackstands or ramps? It takes some time for oil to soak down through the engine and get back into the pan where the dipstick measures the level. If the front of your car is lifted, it can also affect the reading (dipstick is towards the front of the engine).

I don't think you'll have a problem with 5 quarts, but if you put in too much oil, the crank may dip down into it, especially under braking, and would froth the oil and reduce it's effectiveness. I put 4 1/2 in mine for the first oil change and I checked it the other day (about 2500 miles later) it's right around the 1/2 - 1/3 full mark. I need to change my oil this weekend.

Side note, is there a jack point on the front of these cars? I ended up having to go in behind the passanger side wheel to jack the damn car up for my first oil change. Where do you guys lift the front?

Archived