LegacyGT.com

where to buy a helmet?

whitetiger

what do these ratings signify?

Snell Ratings on a helmet.

Most autox clubs and sanctions go back as far as 2 generations of ratings before the helmet is deemed "old and void". So the new SA2005 and M2005 Helmets just came out, so that means the oldest helmet you can use is M95 and SA95 (the middle generation right now is M2000 and SA2000).

Old SA90 and M90 helmet can not be used anymore..

Keefe

Snell + Motorcycle ratings = no open face. I was referring to the comment about buying a motorcycle helmet. Snell won't approve an open face for motorcycle use, but a full-face helmet isn't the best for car use.

Personally I'd contact some guys from the local SCCA chapter and find a local dealer. If you ever use it, fit is mighty important and brands vary.

Barring that, most big motorcycle shops have good helmet selections. I bought a couple of Simpsons from a racewear dealer, but bought my last helmet, a Shoei, from a bike shop.

You want the latest Snell spec, unless you're never ever going to do anything but AutoX.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 5 months later...
Snell won't approve an open face, yet that's best for track time, so :iam: on the cert comments.

after seeing what happen to Earnhardt, I'll stick with closed face. Open face is fine if you have the rest of the safety equipment at hand (such as not having the air bag, restraints, etc).

I dont see a problem with a closed face either, but it's been said to be more hazardous in a car with air-bags... I've been in an accident before with the air bag deploying on me while I had my full helmet on.. I can see the possibility of having issues, but it's going to come from a fitment issue first of being too loose.

Keefe

after seeing what happen to Earnhardt, I'll stick with closed face. Open face is fine if you have the rest of the safety equipment at hand (such as not having the air bag, restraints, etc).

I dont see a problem with a closed face either, but it's been said to be more hazardous in a car with air-bags... I've been in an accident before with the air bag deploying on me while I had my full helmet on.. I can see the possibility of having issues, but it's going to come from a fitment issue first of being too loose.

I asked an instructor at an autocross school about closed face helmets and airbags and she said the SCCA had finally decided, after some testing, that the closed face helmets posed no danger of neck injury from airbag deployment. FWIW. I'd frankly go with a closed face as Keefe says. I aint' pretty, but a open face helmet might make me a whole bunch uglier in a crash.

And if you're not using the helmet for real racing, don't get one with a small eye port. It bothers some folks. I've got a Bieffe F1 that I used for kart racing and found out too late that the small eye port interferes with my glasses (can't wear contacts) when I turn my head. It's a real pain to be racing and suddenly everythings out of focus.

I am bringing this post back from the dead. Did you ever get a helmet whitetiger? I found this place in NJ -- www.teamdi.com -- seems like nice folks over there. You will not be the only legacy at events next year. :icon_mrgr

I better not be. and yes i got a helmet. g-force racing sa2005 helmet. black to match my car.

http://www.saferacer.com/profo1sahe.html

Archived