LegacyGT.com

fyi: the white ain't white

Picked up my white 5mt gt ltd wagon this morning. It's terrific but some folks might want to know that "white" is not white. I came home and parked it between my '02 white wrx wagon and my '03 white wrx sedan. The wrx's are pure white. The legacy is off white. In bright light it looks to be tinted cream yellow. In less light it shifts between a beige and a gray off white. I'm quite pleased with it, but it was a bit of a surprise.

Last time I stopped by a dealer they had none in white ( :( ). I did receive the paint swatch and noticed that the pearl changed to gold-ish and even blue-ish tones at the right angle and light. This seems to sync with your review. I think white is my 'go' color...

Yah, I was annoyed that my car is not white. My old subaru (1991 Legacy L sedan) was white, but even that was not a pure white. Trying to get touch up paint for it was a pain just after I bought it since the dealers touchup paint was not immediately avalable, and in order to make a batch, the quantities of colors added (yellow & black I think) were so small that the smallest batch they could make was a pint)

I think the pearl white looks very nice! First time I saw that color on a Wagon, a few weeks before mine came in, made me wonder about my color. In any case, Subaru made picking a color for me, they actually had several good colors available this time!

Just got my new Legacy GT Limited in the Satin Pearl White two days ago. The compliments keep coming. Not very many people seem to be aware of this car in my area (Tulsa, Oklahoma), but once they've looked it over, most everyone is quite impressed. Love the fact that I'm driving such a unique car though. Have yet to see another one on the road.

• 9 months later...
FYI from Paintscratch.com: [b]Tri-coats[/b] This is a special paint application consisting of three different layers of paint. It gives the vehicle a milky pearl effect and can be quite striking to look at. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to repair. Any color listed on our site that has the word "[b]Tri-coat[/b]" in the paint name is a tricoat. This paint requires three different coats of paint. The first is a basecoat of color. Next a second coat of transparent color, called the [b]midcoat[/b] is applied and finally, a coat of clearcoat. The midcoat color is applied very thin and adds additional depth to the paint. In order to successfully match a tri-coat, you should practice on a scrap piece of metal or plastic. [font=Arial]The clearcoat must be polished with rubbing compound to shine properly.[/font] [center][img]http://www.paintscratch.com/images/tri.jpg[/img] [/center]

I love the pearl white effect that we had the opportunity to buy. Arctic pure white is just too "white" if you know what I mean. I see a million new Mazda 3's in white running around town, and that shade is just too darn blazing white. It makes the car look even more economy than it is, IMO. There's no flair, it looks like my fridge. Adding a pearl in gives it the luxury flair that it deserves. On a related note, my mother's 1998 A4 in "pearl white" looks like a goldy piss colour when I park my car beside it. She even asked me not to park beside her car when I go over for a visit. I think we got a great shade out of Subaru.

yeah the swp is more like an ice white the mojority of the time, but come sunset and it looks like a million bucks a gold and purple rainbow. the SWP is so classy i get compliments all the time. totally adds CLASS to the car. the only other color that seems to change alot is the light blue. that think is almost like chameleon. for whatever reason i heard the red is a 4 coat paint vs the rest which are all a 3 coat.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I was all set to get the ABP when I saw the SWP and that was it for me. Love how the SWP radiates and reflects different colors under different lighting conditions. Seemed at one point near sunset at the beach one night that I had a whole rainbow set of colors off the car. It was amazing and several of my friends commented on what beautiful colors my paint was. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

SWP is great. I'm happy with it. But there is no such thing as pure white in the automotive world. There are more shades of white than any other color. I've seen automotive paint supply shops mixing white paint, and you'd be amazed at how many other colors go into a "white" base. But SWP is very white... just go park it next to a white new Mini, or a new Beetle or a Dodge Magnum... then you'll see what a "creamy" white really is...

Archived