LegacyGT.com

Navigation standard on LGT's?

standard on the Spec B.

can't get it in 05.

can get it in the auto in 06 but not 5 speed unless u get the spec B.

i believe i am correct but someone will correct me if i am wrong.

That is correct. It's a $2K option on the 06 auto's.

ignore him, he'll go away.

geez.. buy a whole different car just cause theres no nav system?? Thats pretty interesting. I guess it all depends on what your looking for. A comparable Acura to the Legacy is a good bit more money and like a second slower.. why would you want that??

Nobody said go buy a whole different car just because there is no navigation. Even so navigation is a big accessory and one i would've loved to have. I guarantee you that subaru is cheap about our interior and puts more money into the engine, whereas acura pays out money for interior refinement. Look at the amount of rattles we have, no autoup mirrors or autodown for anyone other than the driver. No HIDs, no bluetooth, no dvd audio, no memory seats, no 6th gear. Again nobody is saying get a whole different car, I still like the performance aspect of the LGT even though I'll probably hardly ever use it.

It does depend on what you're after. If you're after luxury and AWD isn't needed then there are indeed better cars for you, such as a TSX or TL. If AWD isn't needed but you care more about performance than luxury then the LGT is more competative.

If AWD *is* needed then the LGT is much more competative. If you need AWD but care more about luxury there's still tough competition though - used AWD A4s and 3 series. They have their own serious problems, namely reliability (esp the Audi) and being extremely expensive to fix when out of warrenty (esp the BMW). And I don't mean things like dash rattles - I'm talking about engine, suspension, major eletrical system, etc failures. The kind of things that are likely to leave you stranded. But, there are problem-free examples of both those cars, and when they work they're great and more luxurious than an LGT.

If AWD is needed and you value performance more than luxury, then there's less competition in the LGT's price range, especially when it comes to the wagon. There's no 330XiT and, from what I've read, the 325Xi(T) is pretty slow for the price. Both the 3 series and A4 wagons have smaller cargo holds than the Legacy wagon. There's used biturbo S4s and, when it comes to sedans only, 330Xi's, but you have to get significantly older, higher mileage car than a comparably priced LGT (new or used). You can at least get folding rear seats in the German sedans, though. <insert rant about lack of folding rear seats in the LGT sedan here> OTOH if you don't care about a folding rear seat then the Mazdaspeed 6 is very comparable. It's roomier than any of the other cars I've mentioned here and performs well. Its lack of a folding rear seat killed it for me though.

For me my priorities this time around were, in order:

- <= $30k, with a strong preference for <= $25k

- sedan or wagon (always a requirement for me, at least for as long as I don't own two cars)

- AWD (new requirement)

- folding rear seat (always a requirement in a sedan/wagon)

- driving feel/fun to drive (always important - is it fun and sporty to drive, regardless of its actual performance; this effectively makes a manual transmission a requirement, among other things)

- actual performance

The 5MT LGT LTD wagon won by a landslide. A biturbo S4 wagon was my second choice, and a very tempting one. But in the end I trust an LGT to get me home much more than an S4. I know too many folks who've had fairly major problems with their VW's/Audi's, and CR's reliability ratings unfortunately back that up.

Oh, and obviously navigation wasn't a priority. I'd certainly like a factory in-dash nav system and would put it to use, but I've rarely missed having one. Most of the time when I could really use one I'm out of town in a rental anyways, so one of the portable units would serve me better. They sure don't look as cool though :lol:

I am lurking around this forum because I am strongly considering an 06 Legacy GT. I too wish that they offered Navigation with the Manual 06 without having to go for only the Spec. B. I know after market Navigation systems are never the same, but what do you guys think of a navigation sysytem mounted on the windshield right next (to the left) of the rear view mirror (overhead) and that is not very intrusive if positioned correctly?

Will it be possible to wire it such that it turns on when the ignition is turned on and hide the wires so they don't get in the way? A friend of mine has his radar detector wired this way. Why not a GPS like this one Garmin Streetpilot E320.

I would like your opinions.

I am considering a full black LFT 2006 :)

-Jai

I am looking for a portable product as well. I bumped into the Clarion website and found this:

http://clarion.com/us/en/products/2006/navigation/navigation/NICE_P200/us-en-product-pf_1134643389398.html

http://clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/211/101/N.I.C.E.P200.jpg

Dpubles as a 10GB MP3/Picture holder as well. Has a 20GB Hard Drive.

They also have a bigger 7" one but the smaller one seems more portable.

Now I just need to find someone that has actually used it!

X

---

For the price that you can buy a Legacy, you will not be able to find a car that has the performance, reliability, and options like the Legacy has. There isn't any car out there that can match it. This might be a dead issue.. but if anyones wondering an Acura sloSX even with a 6speed runs 0-60 in 8.3 sec, 1/4 mile time of 16.5 seconds.. Thats not even close to a LGT, and is still more expensive then a LGT, and is 2 wheel drive.. The better Acura, the TL, is like a base price of $35,000.. so you can kinda compare the TL to the Spec B. But the Spec B once again is faster, handles better, and pretty much has everything the TL has and is still cheaper. Ill just be honest. I really dont know what people like so much about Honda's and Acura's. Acura's are definitely better then Honda's but then you also pay an extra 10 grand for one. I really should post this in a Honda/Acura forum.. that would be perfect.. lol

I guess an Acura is a status symbol, and a honda is just a durability symbol? It sucks to own either because they are a dime a dozen here in the city.

***parking lot near my job and where I park once in a while**

http://deexboy.com/albums/album25/tl.sized.jpg

Now imagine if I had a grey TL, that would have been three! And the one guy that owns one of the TL's was checking my car out when I came to pick it up.

But of course do not dismiss the ever elusive 2300HP RL!!!111

http://deexboy.com/albums/album25/newspaperad.sized.jpg

Now that is a force to reckon with! :icon_bigg:iam:

X

---

Look at the amount of rattles we have

visit here and search "rattles" when you have lots of time set aside for reading

no autoup mirrors or autodown for anyone other than the driver.

IMO, only useful purpose for this is when approaching a tollbooth, therefore driver only makes sense (why would a passenger need this?)

no bluetooth, no dvd audio

the acura forums and a few magazine articles mention dropped calls and automotive technology that is "not yet fully realized", yet i find a bluetooth headset is reliable and at least equal in its convenience (and avoids the uncomfortable situation of your girlfriend hearing your buddy recount the sordid events of the supposed "poker night" thru the audio speakers). just out of curiosity, how many dvd-audio music cd's do you or anyone you know currently own?

no 6th gear

shift to 3rd to get to 60 and more frequent shifting in city driving than i already have to? no thanks

I still like the performance aspect of the LGT even though I'll probably hardly ever use it.

tsk tsk tsk.....what a waste

the hids, maybe. i've never had them, and i've never taken a late night test drive, so i don't know. i know some people crave them, but never having had them they aren't missed by me. the memory seats, meh....i guess when you take the car into the shop, since they move the seat around, but they often disconnect the battery as well. does this reset the memory? :iam:

now don't get me wrong, if you had said things like auto-open & close sunroof, low-tire pressure warning indicator, laminated side windows, traction/stability control, brembo brake calipers, summer performance tires, fold-down rear seats, separately controlled single or double din radio chassis, and (dare i dream?) overhead sunglass holder, then i'd be right there with you. :icon_bigg

i suppose a more fragrant clutch smell would be nice too. :lol:

Can the nav system from the 06 be retrofitted into the 05? It looks like it runs independant of the radio so maybe we can swap them in?

It should be possible, but we've figured that it will take $2000-$3000 in extra parts alone to do it. (although you could probably sell some of the old parts)

I'm not sure that anybody would find it worth it to pay that much for the OEM system.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I havent seen too many nav systems.. but I have to give it to GM for what theyve done especially with OnStar, you just push a button, someone answers and you just ask them where the hell something is and they find it for you, then like mark it on your lil navigation screen. You dont have to pick up a phone or anything.. theres like microphones mounted in the car. You just talk.. I am not a big high tech electronics geek but that was one of the easiest systems to use I have ever seen.

I'm in love with the NAV system. For a guy who drives 30k plus a year in a new unfamiliar place every day it is worth every penny and I would have paid more for it if I had to! For me it played a big part in the decision of which car to buy. When I was done test driving everything and reading all the forums it was clear that the spec. b was the only choice at that time that I would be completely thrilled with. Prior to purchasing every subaru owner I talked to said if you are buying for performance you better get a manual transmisison. Then I quickly realized the only way to get a manual and a NAV was the spec. b. Way to go SOA. They found a way to sell the spec b. All of us sales guys need the nav and want the manual.! HA HA!~

It works great, you can put in phone numbers of the business you are going to... you can put in a name of a restaurant. You can store the point of you favorite auto store. It's great!

For what i do it's a must have! MP3..that's cool too!

Overall I have no major complaints it has saved me countless hours already and I've only had it two months.

^ Same here.

Mine actually found me a about a 15 minutes faster way home from work (45 minutes down to 30). Mapquest and maps.google both always took me back to the main highway basically around to get home. The Nav never even offers that route as an option and just loves the damn back roads.

One of the selling points for me was the nav as well. I have to do some traveling for work and I've got friends and family all over the place so when we go and visit, it's nice to just have the thing always bring me home. I still need to spend some time with the POI setup and figure out how it works but so far, I've been very happy.

Archived