LegacyGT.com

Stinky clutch? SMOKING clutch!

I had a sticky throttle plate that made it very difficult for me to get the car going smoothly with low RPMs, and it also caused occasional stalling while coasting to a stop out of gear (mostly when cold). After my throttle body was replaced under warranty, my car is SO MUCH smoother to get going. Before I couldn't drive smoothly in 1st, even fully engaged; it was a bucking bronco. Now, it is smooth. My throttle plate tended to stick at the closed position, and it was jumpy when it would unstick.

I really wonder how many sticky throttle plates are out there on LGTs. From what I read, quite a bit.

--Lee

PS: Oh, replacing my throttle plate also got rid of the stutter I always had when going from no throttle to light/medium throttle, at say 2500rpm in 2nd or 3rd.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah the throttle is very touchy plus a spooling turbo takes some time to get used to. it wouldn't say the car is hard to drive, but learning how to keep that power smoother then an auto takes a little practice. the 1-2 shift still get me sometimes. i find that if i keep the clutch in for a sec or 2 i get a much smoother shift. synchros finding their place?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

wow, i'm so glad that i read this thread. i was on a hill the other day and someone was too close to me so i let the clutch out quick and gave it more gas than usual. i didn't move and the car started to buck. when i looked down i noticed that my rpm's were at around 5k. now the clutch feels like it is slipping. i guess i'll have to mention something to my dealer.

for what it's worth my 5.0 mustang has a heavy clutch but is easier to drive. i've stalled out more in the legacy than in the mustang.

edit* the spooling turbo doesn't help either. i've spooled the turbo on hills in the legacy and my old svo mustang by accident.

your clutch will probably chatter for a coupel days. just do normal stop and go driving and it should go away. just don't do that again. alot of us have done that. i did it as well when i first got my car on a steep hill. it was about a 60 degree slope. the chatter went away after 2 days. :) if it doesnt go away after a week tops then you prob did some real damage.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived