LegacyGT.com

Stinky clutch? SMOKING clutch!

I agree that we can avoid clutch stink my modifying our driving styles. But my point is, we shouldn't have to. I'm not talking about riding the clutch or other forms of abuse. I'm talking about normal use, under normal operating conditions, that wouldn't faze the clutch in 99.9% of the other manual transmission cars on the road.

Jason K.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You had better take that statement back right now! I am a quack damnit!:lol:

I take it all back....Please don't point your finger at me like that:lol: In my part of the world it is obvious the QUACKS run the show anyway....Enjoy your "quackdom"

how can tires damage a clutch???

But in all seriousness guys, the stock clutch works fine ... i know exactly where the clutch engages, this car, its alittle picky when shifting (mostly because i havent quite figured out how to much gas to give it and how fast to come out on the clutch), is one of the easist cars to get moving from a standstill i have ever driven ... granite i havent driven many ... a toyota, a mazda, and a honda (wow, all japanese). Im really not sure why some people on here say the Legacy is a very hard clutch to learn on ?? I mean no disrespect but where is this "difficulties" coming from??

Marble?

you guys need to take pointers from the truckers....

Leave plenty of room in front of you so that you can idle in 1st gear every so often. Yes, an asshole will jump in front of you occasionally, but saving your clutch is worth the extra 2 min. When I drive in traffic like that I don't even get clutch stink....and I learned to drive stick on this clutch too.

I always figured that was good stick driving common sense. Nobody had to tell me that when I started driving a manual, I had watched truckers do it for years so I just adapted it for myself. Unfortunately I have run in to a couple situations where that ends up not working for you but generally it's a hell of a lot easier on the clutch and your leg.

I agree that we can avoid clutch stink my modifying our driving styles. But my point is, we shouldn't have to. I'm not talking about riding the clutch or other forms of abuse. I'm talking about normal use, under normal operating conditions, that wouldn't faze the clutch in 99.9% of the other manual transmission cars on the road.

Jason K.

I don't. Reverse has a lower ratio than 1st, I've gotten clutch stink just from backing up *once*. There's nothing you can do about a hill.

This is the toughest car to start out from a stop that I've had so far. The Lancer Ralliart was pretty easy...

My last car had a lightweight clutch and it was only a little 1.8L (MR-S). This thing is easier to stall than both.

I take it all back....Please don't point your finger at me like that:lol: In my part of the world it is obvious the QUACKS run the show anyway....Enjoy your "quackdom"

Thank you, I can now but my finger on "safe" and reholster it.:lol:

On a side note, can you believe some people on this forum can't comprehend the threat that the RE92's pose to our cars? They contribute to destroyed clutches, stinky cats, slow window motors, unusual rattles, and a host of other maladies. RE92's are well on their way to destroying the automatic transmission in my car, I would change them out but I fear the damage has allready been done.

This is the toughest car to start out from a stop that I've had so far. The Lancer Ralliart was pretty easy...

My last car had a lightweight clutch and it was only a little 1.8L (MR-S). This thing is easier to stall than both.

You had a Lancer Ralliart too? Nice! I miss mine already and I haven't even taken delivery of my LGT yet. The LGT is faster but the Ralliart was just really fun to drive.

Anyways, back on topic. I've driven a 5MT LGT twice now (well, one was an OBXT, but close enough for this topic). Once even involved some SF hills, albeit just a few. I didn't encounter the dreaded stinky clutch in either drive. I did stall the OBXT once, but that was on a completely flat street. I'm pretty sure it was because I over-compensated for the quiet engine by keeping the revs too low. I usually shift by sound and that was my first time driving an LGT/OBXT.

I didn't have any problems on the few hills I drove on either. I think Subaru has too wide a range of manufacturing tolerances for LGT clutches.

The Ralliart was originally purchased for an ex. I drove it like I stole it always. Fast around corners... Just a little too much understeer. Left it up in San Antonio to pick up the LGT cause I just couldn't wait! I'll pick it up tomorrow though. Want another Ralliart? You can have it :-). I am going to miss the MR-S though. Just not a daily driver. I have a new g/f who is reasonable unlike myself. She'll lead me in a better direction than I can alone.

I've got caught once long ago for not coming to a full stop. Sucks for people driving stick.

What's an MR-S? An MR w/ a Celica GT-S engine swap?

I drove a mostly stock MR very briefly a bit ago. It seemed fun (which it'd better be for such an impractical car). Unfortunately I didn't quite fit in it - the steering wheel hit my legs even when it was adjusted all the way up.

i'm glad (in a sad way) to hear that i'm not the only one that has experienced this problem. my 05 lgt is my first manual, although i have driven friends' cars before, and i thought that i was just driving the car wrong. the problem has occurred to me three times: once in stop and go traffic on a slight incline, once in stop and go traffic headed out to Las Vegas, and after accelerating hard out of the traffic en route to Vegas. i took the car into South Coast Subaru to get the problem on record and the tech said that there was absolutley nothing wrong with the clutch. at least i have it on record now though.

las- i hear ya about that fast accleration from creeping speeds when you only give it a little gas. anyone know what causes that? i find myself having to hit the brakes sometimes when i'm just trying to pull up a little in traffic.

Well, I went in to talk to my service advisor about the smoking clutch, and he wasn't terribly understanding. He called my experience "clutch abuse," which I simply don't accept. Severe driving conditions, yes. Abuse? Nope. He also said that since I haven't experienced any further problems there likely isn't any lasting damage.

Not wanting to rely on his word alone, I sent a letter (by registered mail so I have proof they received it) to SOA with a cc to my dealer describing the exact circumstances surrounding my experience. I just want to have a written record detailing what happened just in case there are future problems with the clutch and I have to file a warranty claim.

Hope this is the end of it

Well, I went in to talk to my service advisor about the smoking clutch, and he wasn't terribly understanding. He called my experience "clutch abuse," which I simply don't accept. Severe driving conditions, yes. Abuse? Nope. He also said that since I haven't experienced any further problems there likely isn't any lasting damage.

Not wanting to rely on his word alone, I sent a letter (by registered mail so I have proof they received it) to SOA with a cc to my dealer describing the exact circumstances surrounding my experience. I just want to have a written record detailing what happened just in case there are future problems with the clutch and I have to file a warranty claim.

Hope this is the end of it

I mentioned clutch stink and finicky clutch issues to my delear numerous times. It seemed to help a lotin terms of getting coverage when my pressure plate finally failed at 25k kms and I had complained about it prior.

i've found you can let the cluth out at extremely low rpms compared to other cars. i sometime stall out my friends 325xi when i drive it since im not used to have to rev to 2-3k to get out of first. when i get stuck in nasty traffic i practive how low i can let the clutch out. i think about 800 rpms is the absloutle min on a flat surface. the clutch is very unforgiving though. once you start heating it up its almost a lost cause trying to get it not to smell no matter how low you let the clutch out at.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

My RE050A's drank all my beer and ran up over $1,000 on my credit card by calling 1-900-2-ROTATE. God only knows what RE92's would do.

Seriously, is there an aftermarket clutch that is better than the OEM?

i've found you can let the cluth out at extremely low rpms compared to other cars. i sometime stall out my friends 325xi when i drive it since im not used to have to rev to 2-3k to get out of first. when i get stuck in nasty traffic i practive how low i can let the clutch out. i think about 800 rpms is the absloutle min on a flat surface. the clutch is very unforgiving though. once you start heating it up its almost a lost cause trying to get it not to smell no matter how low you let the clutch out at.

I think the 325xi must be a relatively extreme case. Your LGT numbers basically match up with my experience, but I have to give the LGT more gas & revs than my last car.

I actually stalled my LGT a few times today (just picked it up yesterday). I think it was because of a combination of needing a little more gas/revs to get started than my last car and the clutch having less feel on takeup. I have trouble telling exactly when the LGT's clutch is catching in the snow. In the dry or normal wet pavement it's no problem of course since there's plenty of traction to keep the wheels from spinning, so you know the clutch is catching cause the car is moving.

Btw, the stock tires seem okay for OEM ones in the dry or rain; they're just terrible in the snow. They're not good compared to a good set of aftermarket tires, but they're comparable to what most other cars come with.

Now I just need to get used to using the gas to regain traction in the snow...

You can start crawling from a stop without touching the gas and get it fully in to first gear, that much is easy. I have a hard time getting started without the revs going above 2000rpm though when I give it gas. The throttle on this car is still touchy for me at low levels, I can modulate it much better once my foot is a little bit in to it. Unfortunately that means well past where I want to be to get rolling from a stop in normal driving. I'm just still not used to driving a car with such a sensitive throttle, I had the same problem the very first time I drove my mothers 04 accord (240hp v6) when I was home on a visit and made a bit of noise as I was getting up the hill from our old house. It was easier to get used to than the leggys DBW gas pedal though.

Archived