LegacyGT.com

GOTO:Racing Laguna Seca Race Report and Pics

ChrisLock

Damn it, I cant' run stuff like that in STU :( Looks great! Keep it running!

Btw, did you guys notice more understeer with the wing on? How about the air dam up front?

Actually the wing was installed to counter the increased downforce we got when we built the front splitter and undertray. When we first tested it, we had no wing, and it had such a pronounced effect, we took it off. The wing is the Cusco model, and it did a perfect job balancing out the aero, even without dialing in too much angle. Believe it or not, we actually have this car tending toward oversteer, same with the WRX, as we experiment with our new suspension setups from DMS and hotchkis.

Chris Lock

AWESOME !!!!! :D Keep up the great work!

Oh, and BTW: Atlantic Blue Pearl FTW!!! ;)

I could not find any information regarding potential television coverage of any USTCC events.....this series is not televised, correct? :(

----

On a side note - whew, finally, we can all safely say that Keefe's ride isn't the most riced anymore! :lol:

Just kidding. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

What engine work have you done to that car?

We changed the oil and spark plugs after we bought it. She is, how you say?, Le Stock :)

As far as bolt on power mods, just a Helix cat-back exhaust, a COBB Access Port, and a tune from Gruppe-S in Hayward, CA. The real work went into the chassis and suspension.

Great to see those results in the car's first race. Especially beating that silly little Impreza ;)

hey there! give me a break! It's was my first race in AWD :).

Can you share any of the information about how you're setting up the Legacy's suspension?

Sure, what do you want to know? We run the DMS 50mm Rally Tarmac dampers with there progressive springs ranging from 500-900lbs depending on the circut and conditions. MSI provides our camber correction pieces, and we run anywhere between 3 and 4.5 degrees depending on if we are running the Hankook or the GAC hoosier. Hotchkiss prototyped a sway bar kit for us, which I believe should be for sale soon. If you wanted more specifics, let me know what you are looking for. We are happy to share our setups (most of the time :) )

Chris Lock

hey there! give me a break! It's was my first race in AWD :).

Sure, what do you want to know? We run the DMS 50mm Rally Tarmac dampers with there progressive springs ranging from 500-900lbs depending on the circut and conditions. MSI provides our camber correction pieces, and we run anywhere between 3 and 4.5 degrees depending on if we are running the Hankook or the GAC hoosier. Hotchkiss prototyped a sway bar kit for us, which I believe should be for sale soon. If you wanted more specifics, let me know what you are looking for. We are happy to share our setups (most of the time :) )

Chris Lock

How's the wear on the Hankooks at 3~4 degrees of camber along with the ambient temps and tire pressure?

Keefe

How's the wear on the Hankooks at 3~4 degrees of camber along with the ambient temps and tire pressure?

All the testing and events we have run so far have been with cold or wet track temps, so it is hard to say if it is accurate. We were hitting 155 in january at buttonwillow, but were only about 136 in the semi wet test sessions at laguna. We know from experience that in the summer we will see 180-200+ tire temps.

Can you comment on the driving dynamic diffrences between the Impreza Chasis and the Legacy Chasis.

I also cannot BELEIVE the homogolation rules for the EVO MR. The car weighs almost the same as yours and gets to run 19 PSI of boost? on a much larger turbo?

I would LOVE to know how that EVER happened. You guys already murdered the pack by more than 6 seconds it wont be long till peeps start complaining.

Can you comment on the driving dynamic diffrences between the Impreza Chasis and the Legacy Chasis.

Yeah actually. I took three 20 minute sessions at our test session right after driving the wrx for a day. It was not at ALL what I expected!

For one, the legacy seems to have a much more positive front end. I was expecting the longer wheel base to push more, but was pleasantly surprised by how the legacy would bite into a corner with less roll than the legacy. The tighter steering rack also reinforced that feeling of a grippy front end.

Second, the rear was alot more active than I expected. I had an image of the multi-link rear acting to make a more compliant rear, but it was easy to coax rotation out of the car, on turn in and when exiting on the power. But I guess I should keep in mind the HUGE hotchkiss sway bar we added. I am sure that added to this effect alot.

Torque was way better, though the power dies in the high RPM. While the legacy has more power overall, you need to be on top of where you shift. Boost starts to drop to much farther than 5700 or so.

All in all, the legacy is actually more fun to drive than the WRX. Dare I say, more of a drivers car. Rolling into a turn on the brakes in that car was like a dream. It did have it's problem's though. The rear got twitchy and unpredictable over bumps and yumps (could be the extreme toe/camber curve of the multilink), and the tranny was a little sloppy to shift compared to the imprezas I have driven, but it was easier to downshift than the smaller motor. The throttle by wire, also takes some getting used to. It is very precise, but you can never quite shake that feeling of lag when you are used to racing with cables.

After 3 session in it. I was quite jealous that I wouldn't get to drive it in sprints. But I will get plently of seat time at the GAC events we have planned, and I can get my legacy fill then. In the meantime, the WRX still has to be my favorite road car of all time, and I am excited to be racing one finally.

Chris Lock

Chris Lock

Thanks for answering the questions. Just a few more. I realize that most of this isn't applicable to a street car, but I'm curious. How much lower than stock are you running? Have you been able to change any of the suspension mounting geometry? What sort of ratio of front to rear spring rates are you running and does this change depending on the course you're running? What are you doing in terms of brake setup? From the testing pictures it looked like stock calipers. Is it just an upgraded rotor/pads/fluid setup?

Thanks

Thanks for answering the questions. Just a few more. I realize that most of this isn't applicable to a street car, but I'm curious. How much lower than stock are you running? Have you been able to change any of the suspension mounting geometry? What sort of ratio of front to rear spring rates are you running and does this change depending on the course you're running? What are you doing in terms of brake setup? From the testing pictures it looked like stock calipers. Is it just an upgraded rotor/pads/fluid setup?

Thanks

I don't have the numbers here with me, but don't run the car very low at all. You could probably tell from the pics. It is probably 1/2" lower that stock, an inch at most. Running any lower start to effect the camber curve to much, and isn't worth it. From that reponse you probably guessed that, no, we haven't moved any suspension mounting points. It is strictly forbidden in both rulesets we built to.

As of this year, we started running a 150 to 200 spring bias to the rear of the car. We have this on both cars now. We did it to try to get rid of the push in steady state corners. So far it seems to be the right decision. Normally we don't change the spring bias for different courses, since our shocks will help us dial in oversteer/understeer of small degrees like that. If we were to change springs it would be in response to an unusually bumpy surface.

The brakes, as you noticed, are stock. But we have already recieved some 4 pot aluminum calipers from RacingBrake(fit OE rotor size too!). We tested with them and really liked them, but our brake pad supplier doesn't make an application yet for them. You will probably see us debut these pieces at Miller in May, because I don't think we will get the right pads by Mexico in 2 weeks.

Chris Lock

Archived