LegacyGT.com

New LGT Lim. & $2500 for mods, which way to go?

I'm liking the idea of crucial stuff, I really am, although Perrin looks good too.

As for tires, what makes them so bad exactly? I'm debating between all-season tires, and a set of summer and winters. Are the stock ones real bad in dry performance, but could work for winter?

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

within thier limits, the stock tires are fine. If you push them beyond what they are capable of - you will end up in trouble.

the problem is that the limits (in dry or wet) of the re-92's are much lower than that of most other performance tires.

if you drive safely, and realize the limits of the tire you won't have any problems. However if you really want to get the most out of the car - a new set will be nice.

personally, i'm beating the hell out of my re92's until I can justify replacing them. (working on my second autox season on them)... I dont mind them too much, but I can definitely feel that on the track they dont have the traction of better tires.

^ +1 to rallispec's "take" on the stock RE92s. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Is there a reason why everyone recommends a Crucial DP (which is a shorty to my knowledge) as opposed to say a perrin full length for around $35 more? I'm lost cause I just got a Perrin DP :iam:

not telling u what to do but ive got a perrin dp & its fine. there werent alot of options for a AT at the time. it was for a MT ive got a AT slight mods to it but nothing crazy.

The choice between running a shorty versus full-length is one that eventually boils down to personal preference - the shorty typically will allow you to retain your factory third (i.e. last) cat, thus cutting down drastically on emissions (in most cases, well-tuned Scoobys can pass even "sniffer tests" with just this cat alone) as well as in-cabin "cat odor."

Aside from this issue, the shorty offers slight "modularity," especially if a HFC is coupled to it. In this manner, in case of cat failure (rare), you'd only have to switch one component, instead of spending the extra dollars for an incorporated one or go to the trouble of cutting/welding.

Finally, although a good shorty-to-midpipe combo will net almost inperceiveable differences between it and a full-length system, piping diameter and other "potential power-related' issues, which you should consider for your down-the-road modification path, is yet another concern.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I'm liking the idea of crucial stuff, I really am, although Perrin looks good too.

As for tires, what makes them so bad exactly? I'm debating between all-season tires, and a set of summer and winters. Are the stock ones real bad in dry performance, but could work for winter?

IMHO, tires make the MOST noticeable difference in performance. No, the stocks are not "real bad" in the dry (though many will disagree) and will work for the winter. However, many of us have found that as they wear, they get worse and worse. After 10K miles, they can be very unsettling in the rain - especially if you like spirited driving. It was at that point that I put on the F1s - and boy were they ever fun in all conditions (probably the best tire I have ever experienced in wet conditions)

so....+1 on doing tires first - and if you really want to maximize performance, go with dedicated summer tires (like the Goodyear F1 GSD3s) and then get an excellent all season for the winter (like the Nokian WRs). That is the route I and several others on the board have gone and we are all one happy bunch.

And +1 on the Crucial shorty dp and Jeremy's service. I went that route as well and could not be happier.

Good luck on your choices.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have the LGT, I can say I don't find the tires AS_BAD as everyone describes. I'm actually going to modify the car in this order...

HID conversion

Tein H-Tech's

Cusco F&R Sways

(possibly kartboy endlinks for F&R when they are ready)

kartboy sts w/ bushing

Cobb AP w/ stage 1 tuning

... then plan the best route to stage 2, as the engine isn't even close to be broken in yet, but hopefully at this point it will be

I might throw in a stock sub subwoofer kit too :)

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Personally, I like Wukinda's lineup except, I'd scratch the Brake lines/ Front sway bar/pulley's and go with better tires. Thats a major part of the braking and handling problem right there. For springs youcan get tein's for 170$ shipped in Stech or Htech variety.

Now that I have the LGT, I can say I don't find the tires AS_BAD as everyone describes. I'm actually going to modify the car in this order...

HID conversion

Tein H-Tech's

Cusco F&R Sways

(possibly kartboy endlinks for F&R when they are ready)

kartboy sts w/ bushing

Cobb AP w/ stage 1 tuning

... then plan the best route to stage 2, as the engine isn't even close to be broken in yet, but hopefully at this point it will be

I might throw in a stock sub subwoofer kit too :)

Stock sub is pretty good and will really improve the sound of your stock system.

With the Stock tres, wait till it rains or snows :eek:

Take a look at the Perrin Performance Website. I installed their Short Ram Intake along with the Turbo Inlet Hose. HUGE difference with this, and then also installed their bottom pulley as well. Cobb downpipe with the high flow converter is also a GREAT modification along with the Access port. This will give your car about a 28-30 HP gain all said.

Sway bars are pretty critical. I installed the Perrin REAR ONLY, as it's the same diameter as the stock front. I also installed their sway bar links on all 4 corners, expensive but WORTH it. A-Spec makes strut tower tie bars in their own brand, for a VERY inexpensive $58 each and again, as good as a Cusco for about a third of the price.

Tires and wheels....A preference for sure. This is where things become expensive if you aren't careful. I installed SSR 18X8 with Kumho Ecsta 225/40-18 tires and have found it to be an excellent combo. They are incredibly light, and are truly a race wheel. The ONLY problem here, is that this combo runs about $2300 from the Tire Rack. Buy the lightest wheel you can afford, and the Kumho tires are a great deal, as their rating is excellent, but beware of snow with them as they are truly a dry condition tire.

I have no idea, but I just ordered one this morning. I can't freaking wait. I'm already planning to go to "stage II" if anyone could actually tell me what's required for it with the AP.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

what effect would installing AP, up/down pipe have on the longevity of the engine? and how about warranty?

search, been brought up plenty before..

AP stage 1 will not effect the longevity of the car as long as you stick to the regular maintenance schedule.. under most circumstances, you can also get by without attracting to much attention from the dealer as far as warranty.

with stage2, you shouldnt effect the life of the engine too much... but of course with added stress will come added wear. Stick to the maintenance, etc... and it should be okay. Dont expect the dealer to honor any powertrain related warranty claims though.

I have no idea, but I just ordered one this morning. I can't freaking wait. I'm already planning to go to "stage II" if anyone could actually tell me what's required for it with the AP.

the only thing you need to flash to the stage 2 map is a downpipe. Crucial's shorty downpipe is a good place to look. To squeeze a few more HP out of the stage 2 tune -- you may want a full catless DP instead (or one with a High flow cat, such as the one offered by COBB...), and also a catless uppipe.

Thanks rallispec, so to recap, from stock to Stage 2, we're talking simply a downpipe. This can be a shorty or one without cats/high flow cats. This alone, will allow a stage 2 AP map to run correctly? If so that's cool. I was thinking a complete turbo back exhaust, up and down pipes were necessary. Of course they would help, but we're trying to stick to the $2500, at least I am. Thanks for your help again!

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Thanks rallispec, so to recap, from stock to Stage 2, we're talking simply a downpipe. This can be a shorty or one without cats/high flow cats. This alone, will allow a stage 2 AP map to run correctly? If so that's cool. I was thinking a complete turbo back exhaust, up and down pipes were necessary. Of course they would help, but we're trying to stick to the $2500, at least I am. Thanks for your help again!

correct, all you need is a shorty downpipe.. however the more you add, the more gains you'll get..

you'll see the most gains with a full turbo back exhuast set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to revive an old post but I figured I'd post what I've done so far. Please forget the $2500 limit as I plan on exceeding that I think... LOVE THIS CAR

(this is what i have so far)

Crucial DP

Cobb AP w/ TDC stage 2 mapping

Cusco front and rear anti-sways

Cobb front and rear end links (too pretty for any car)

kartboy short shifter with bushings everywhere

tein h-tech springs

drop in k&n with baffle removed

stock subwoofer option

xtec hid conversrion kit 5000k

rockblocker yellow fog protection w/ 100watt bulbs

So far I'm so impressed and so excited that I think I've forgotten about my 350z. The LGT is absolutely faster than the Z, however the handling is not all there. With my setup, it handles considerably better than stock, but still has that very appealing family sport sedan ride. Nothing harsh whatsoever.

I just ordered a new thermostat and and radiator cap from crucial...

Also a set of technafit brake lines and motul fluid...

After rereading this post, I'm tempted to contact Jeremy from crucial and try to get a good deal on an uppipe with potentially putting money down on a cat back....

I still don't think these tires are terrible. They are absolutely the limiting factor in my handling, but I'm just gonna replace them through wearing them out. Same goes for the brake pads...

Oh well, I hope everyone is ok with my upgrade path. I'd love to hear feedback, and thank you guys so much for your original input. I took everyones opinions very seriously, and weighed my options. I honestly can say it was a group effort on my decisions. Thanks again, Jeff

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

If you can sit on the stocker rubbers and rims that long, you're a saint! :) With your hankering for more performance when the roads get twisty, I'd be amazed if you don't plunk down for some new shoes sooner rather than later. ;)

The UP won't net you much power - nowhere near as much as what the DP did for you in going "Stage II" - but it's a nice "safe" addition (in my view), as well as will return with some tangible improvements in spool.

Glad you're enjoying your LGT! :D

Thanks TSi, hey you're not too far away from me. It's hard for me to drop money on something that's disposable and new. Sounds crazy, but I'd rather burn off my tires than sell them. Also, I figured the up wouldn't do too much, however what did you mean by "safe"? I'm all about safe, is the stock uppipe not great in my setup? Something gonna break loose and fly into the turbo?

Thanks!

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Archived