LegacyGT.com

Forgive the stupid oil change question

I am new. 2006 Legacy 2.5i SE.

I know that I will normally be taking the car to my dealer for service. I really like them. But they told me NEVER to take it to a quick lube place as they won't have the right gaskets and filters for the boxer engine. That there lame way of keeping me at the dealer for service, or is it true that Jiffy Lube type places can't do basic fluid maintenance on a Subaru?

We see at least 7-10 Subaru's a year that Jiffy lube screw's up. Its your call as to where you take it, but do yourself a favor and pick up some crush washers at your local dealership(11126AA000) so when you go somewhere else for an oil change you have the washer for your drain plug because they wont. Also, pray that they dont accidentley remove your Transmission filter thinking its your oil filter(which they do alot), that is if you have an automatic.

tHe HoV

They (quick lube's) usually don't use the drain plug crush-rings and they like to drain the tranny by accident and let you leave that way...

...we replace quite a few transmissions and even a couple engines each year due to quick lube places....

Alright, I am sufficiently scared. Lets just hope when I hit 3k miles on this thing I am near a Subie dealership!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Learn to do it yourself, it's really easy once you know where everything is. Then you can decide what filter goes on, and what oil goes in. For instance I use the larger Mobil 1 M110 filter, and 0W-30 Castrol Syntec (the German made stuff that is green in color when you pour it).

Learn to do it yourself, it's really easy once you know where everything is. Then you can decide what filter goes on, and what oil goes in.
++

If you have the time and the space for it, buy some ramps and a container for oil and do it yourself.

I don't like Jiffy Lube. After they forgot to put the oil cap on my Cobra and oil got everywhere, I was done with them.

The only time I don't do my oil changes is if it's bad weather outside is if it's to cold or to rainy. I'd take it to the dealer before I take it to Jiffy Lube.

I was reading a story a while ago about a porsche owner who's wife took his car in for service at a jiffy lube... they drained oil but didnt refill it and gave it back to the wife..

needless to say it was a new engine after that.

I live about an hour from my Subaru dealer. I take my car to Texaco Express Lube, and they have done a superb job on all of my vehicles since I started using them in 1998. They even stock Mobil 1, and their prices are very good. Service is always prompt. I'm usually back on the road 15-20 minutes after I pull in. Even if I had the time to do it myself, I couldn't do all they do in that amount of time. I can't vouch for any of their other locations, but they've always done a great job in Seneca, SC.

I live about an hour from my Subaru dealer. I take my car to Texaco Express Lube, and they have done a superb job on all of my vehicles since I started using them in 1998. They even stock Mobil 1, and their prices are very good. Service is always prompt. I'm usually back on the road 15-20 minutes after I pull in. Even if I had the time to do it myself, I couldn't do all they do in that amount of time. I can't vouch for any of their other locations, but they've always done a great job in Seneca, SC.

Good to hear there are places that do quality work.

These are franchises so you may find the odd good one here and there. But if management changes RUN!

I just have my dealiership do it for 2 reasons. I am a compleate dumba$$ when it comes to auto maintiance and repairs and they are free for 3 years 60k at my dealiership.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Archived