LegacyGT.com

Strut tower bars

NickB34

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A majority does not make a right. That bar is hinged with non-camed bolts. The endplates look like they're made of paper. $10 says a full sized adult couldn't stand on that bar without either the endplates folding like orgami paper or the bar bending. Oh wait, you can't even do that test without locking down the endplates since they're hinged...

Warren

Strut bars are only designed to take compressive and tensile stresses, not bending stresses.

Yes it would bend if you stood on it, but that's not what it's designed for.

I'm only going with the front strut bar (dress it up a bit even if it isn't that functional), I don't want the rear one sticking around in my trunk. I have been informed by another member that I am way better off to go with the rear sway bar for that tension in the back... and that it is well worth the money for one.

I'm only going with the front strut bar (dress it up a bit even if it isn't that functional), I don't want the rear one sticking around in my trunk. I have been informed by another member that I am way better off to go with the rear sway bar for that tension in the back... and that it is well worth the money for one.

Sways on these cars are AWESOME.....well worth every cent.......

Strut bars, pretty much a waste of money, only for looks maybe .5% gain in handling......

Wangspeed....your last comment should have closed the deal.....Buy the cheap knockoffs...they are safer (they will bend on impact)

Doesnt that defeat the purpose of 2 accounts?

1) wasting money

2) it doesnt brace anything

Keefe

Stru bars are only designed to take compressive and tensile stresses, not bending stresses.

Yes it would bend if you stood on it, but that's not what it's designed for.

Even so, using bolts to secure it will only deflect the forces, causing the bar to bend.. for any car, a solid bar from one end of the mounting point to the other is best.

Imagine if your roll cage was not welded, and instead, it was hinged and bolted in many pieces of bolts and elbow corner joints and collar fittings "for easy installation".... I wouldnt trust that "cage" if you gave me $20 million to race it.

Get my point?

Keefe

Even so, using bolts to secure it will only deflect the forces, causing the bar to bend.. for any car, a solid bar from one end of the mounting point to the other is best.

Imagine if your roll cage was not welded, and instead, it was hinged and bolted in many pieces of bolts and elbow corner joints and collar fittings "for easy installation".... I wouldnt trust that "cage" if you gave me $20 million to race it.

Get my point?

Not really, no.

If the tower brackets are securely bolted, then the cross beam only has two pivot points. If the towers try and move closer together or further apart, then there can be no movement of the pivots. You need a third point to allow any movement to occur.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Man.... all this discussion over a little bling. Can't we all just get a bong?

I know I'm up for it.

Not really, no.

If the tower brackets are securely bolted, then the cross beam only has two pivot points. If the towers try and move closer together or further apart, then there can be no movement of the pivots. You need a third point to allow any movement to occur.

you're forgetting the fact of the chassis twisting, not just pushing the towers together. Imagine the left shock tower moving "UP" and the right shock tower moving "DOWN".. when that happens, you'll still get a borked chassis.. two pivot points is just still too much. your lower half of the car is not going to align with the top half of the car... from a head on-shot of the car, your car will look like a parallelogram.. you want a perfect trapezoid (or square if your shocks are really upright with the strut tower bar and the sway bar) with no hinged points.

Keefe

you're forgetting the fact of the chassis twisting, not just pushing the towers together. Imagine the left shock tower moving "UP" and the right shock tower moving "DOWN".. when that happens, you'll still get a borked chassis.. two pivot points is just still too much. your lower half of the car is not going to align with the top half of the car... from a head on-shot of the car, your car will look like a parallelogram.. you want a perfect trapezoid (or square if your shocks are really upright with the strut tower bar and the sway bar) with no hinged points.

You better put a piece of 3" schedule 120 pipe across the towers then, as no strut bar in existance can stop that movement :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I was sent the wrong one completely.... so irritating. They asked me to take a picture and send it to them to make sure. I laughed and told them that the one they sent only has two screw holes on each side to mount, and the bar is atleast 6 inches short. They'll be picking it up....

No trouble with my revotec bar so far. It looks pretty much just like the STi one except for the fact the STi bracket are complete rings and the revotec is partial.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw these on ebay, didn't bother looking through the GT forums. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8044039643&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I bought this same strut bar just before this thread began and just received it yesterday. I took it out today and tried to see if the mountings for the strut bolts lined up correctly. Answer is "probably" but I can't be sure because with the bolts extended through the sheet metal, the mountings can't be put on. Do the bolts just drop down when the nut is loosened or does the entire strut have to be dropped? Or am I once again simply exposing my mechanical ignorance for all to see? Help! I thought these FSBs were simple to mount. And it looks like the bar itself may foul a hard line running out of the firewall and up directly behind the motor and below the scuttle. Help! What a fool am I to buy cheap crap off ebay!:lol:

Mr. OCDetails,

Yes, you were right and took less than 20 minutes. Guess that horrible crescent wrench accident that took 9 of my fingers really shook my confidence with tools. I just couldn't believe the strut mount would shove down over the bolts. Took the car out for a quick spin around some 2nd gear corners but too much traffic. Thanks again.

Archived