LegacyGT.com

Help! My amplifier blew!

bhogan414

I was running a four channel amp off of the stock stereo in my 05 LGT, and the other day I got in my car, and the stereo and clock were on before I put the key in. I then realized that although everything seemed to be working just fine, there was no sound. I took it into the place that installed it and they told me that the amp had blown and had sent the stereo into protect mode, which was why it was staying on, and that I needed a new amp.

Now I don't know that much about the details of these things, but I don't understand how the amp could just blow like that, and from my understanding there is no feedback between the amp and the stereo unit and my worry is that it was some sort of install issue, and they are trying to escape responsibiliy.

Anyone that could shed some light on the issue for me would be greatly appreciated, it could be that I just don't know what the hell I am talking about, I don't know.

The whole system is a bit old, I have pieced it together over the years, but it is an Alpine amp running 55 watts rms, powering a pair of Focal polykevlar components in the front and Eclipse point sources in the rear.

I don't know the specific ohms, but the gain was set pretty solidly in the middle, I definitely wasn't maxing it out.

The amp is definitely still getting power, the status light on it is now showing red, which according to the manual, indicates that the circuit is "abnormal."

The shop is Cartoys here in Boulder.

Hmm. It’s always a roll of the dice when playing with used gear, but that’s no reason for it to fail. So the amp’s in protect mode, not the CD player, right?

Three reasons why that happens – improper install, improper use or broken gear. Cartoys is pretty good, so assume the install’s OK for now. It’s a 4 channel amp running four speakers so it’s an appropriate use. That leaves speakers, speaker wiring & the amp itself.

First thing I’d check is the speakers, that’s usually the problem. Disconnect all the negative connectors on the amp speaker terminals, then re-start the car. Still in protect mode? Disconnect the RCA’s too, then re-start again. Also check the amp fuses, the onboard fuse & the one by the battery.

If still no joy it’s probably new amp time. Cartoys has a kick-ass Eclipse 4-channel on sale for about $280 or get the same one on Ebay for $200. If any of the above fixes the problem you’ve got a short in the wiring, the shop should cover it under their install warranty. Outside chance it’s a bad speaker, but wiring is more likely.

Excellent, thank you for the tips. Of course it is snowing now, and without a garage, I guess it will just have to wait before I can check everything, then maybe I will have to consider a new amp.

I will let you know wukindada.

Archived