LegacyGT.com

Intake manifold swap necessary?

warnoldscu

Hello all... I'm in the middle of my turbo swap and of course something's going to go wrong. I've done bigger injectors, colder spark plugs, fuel pump, tgv deletes, all getting ready for my sti style td06h-20g oil/water cooler from deadbolt with 3" inlet. Turbo got here today and I had it all bolted up when I ran into a problem...

I was of the impression that to fit a 3" inlet hose beneath the intake manifold that I had to use a foresterxt or sti intake manifold (I have forester xt). I didn't think twice and followed wherever I found that piece of advice. Now I have the intake manifold and was about to put it on over my huge inlet hose and I realize that the stocker is going to fit way better - MUCH more clearance.

I just wanted to check to see if there's anything wrong with using the stock intake manifold on a big turbo? Was I just crazy? I don't know who gave me the advice but for some reason I thought it was necessary... maybe I'm just crazy. Thanks for the help guys.

Weston

Use the stock intake mani. as you've seen there is much more clearance there. You can get a 3" inlet hose under an STi/FXT intake manifold, but it will be squished in there. One thing to consider is are your TGV's from an LGT or an STi? They are different and if you have STi TGV's there will be fitment issues with the stock intake manifold.

Well for one thing, the stock intake manifold will not let you use an STI style turbo. There is no way for you to mate the STI style turbo to the stock TMIC. Are you running a FMIC?

To do an STI swap you need to use STI TGVs and the XT/STI intake manifold along with an STI TMIC or LGT FMIC. You are able to use LGT TGVs if you modify the XT/STI manifold. There is a height difference between the two TGVs though. The STI TGVs are taller, and that slight increase in height should allow you to use a 3" turbo inlet pipe. So if you are running the LGT TGVs, you may have some fitment issues.

+1

I am running legacy tgv's with sti manifold right now. (the least clearance setup). The samco regular size inlet fit.

The legacy manifold is taller(more clearance). Sti tgv's are also taller. The combination with the most clearance is the legacy manifold with sti tgv's (if they fit together).

why bother swapping intake manifolds unless you have to? I thought you got that intake manifold bc you were doing an sti swap-out, but you're getting the TDS FMIC, right? the only reason to switch is if you believe the lgt intake mani is more restrictive, which no one has proved yet.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I am doing a FMIC... I don't know where I thought got the impression that I needed a different intake manifod, now I'm just pissed at myself. It's a bummer because I already had jon fab up the intercooler piping for fxt intake manifold. You think anyone's going to be interested in that? Maybe someone who's already done the swap who just decides to switch to a FMIC.

So I guess I'll be using the sti tgvs with the lgt intake manifold (I think they're sti tgvs, but they might be lgt - I didn't realize there was a difference).

There was some hearsay going around about the Perrin 3" inlet not working, but most of it was because no one tried to fit one with the stock manifold. Either way should work just fine. I had the 3" inlet on my car with the FP Red and it actually fit better on my car than it did on my friends STi. That was using a USDM STi intake manifold with STi TGV housings on my car.

I wouldnt worry about replacing the stock manifold unless you are looking to make serious power, around 450-500++whp range. Its not rocket science to see that the LGT manifold is poorly made as there is no way it distributes an even amount of air to each cylinder.

-Matt

so even I decided to masx out the 20g with race gas I'd probably be fine with the LGT intake mani... well everyone, get ready for a member classified on that fxt manifold...haha

BOXRPWR has run 100 octane maps making 380whp on the stock intake manifold... you will be fine.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Im confused here. Could I use my LGT intake manifold with an STI TGV, VF39 style turbo, and STI TMIC?? This would save me some cash if possible.

The STI TMIC won't fit on the LGT intake manifold, so no, that wouldn't work.

The STI TMIC won't fit on the LGT intake manifold, so no, that wouldn't work.

+1

This thread started about which which manifold offered more clearance underneath for a 3" inlet tube. The LGT manifold will NOT work with an STi style turbo without an FMIC, or a custom fabbed air-water TMIC.

So would it be possible to use an STI swap with a Momentum 40T? I might look into getting a FXT manifold w/STI TMIC.

Yes, I'm doing that swap myself. I hope you weren't planning on buying it from RoBy, because his is SOLD :icon_twis

well... give me a few days to be 100% sure that the stock intake mani is going to fit well with the APS hose that I'm having overnighted to myself (ugh... just putting this all on the credit card and pretending I don't have to pay it later). Then I'll be re-selling that fxt intake mani to someone who wants to do the swap to run an STI turbo with TMIC.

Archived