LegacyGT.com

Your LGT's Engine Speed at 80mph (5MT)

this thing needs a 6MT in a BAD way

Be careful what you ask for... Even with a 6MT it doesn't mean it will change. The Acura RSX (wife has one) has a better gear ratio in the 5sp than the 6sp (her's is the type-s - so 6sp). They never just add a gear to the existing ratio set, they change the whole set. And with the 6sp you WILL have to shift to 3rd to hit 60mph, guaranteed....

Be careful what you ask for... Even with a 6MT it doesn't mean it will change. The Acura RSX (wife has one) has a better gear ratio in the 5sp than the 6sp (her's is the type-s - so 6sp). They never just add a gear to the existing ratio set, they change the whole set. And with the 6sp you WILL have to shift to 3rd to hit 60mph, guaranteed....

Surely Subaru would be smart about it though. They would NOT just take the USDM STi tranny and throw it into the LGT. At least I hope they wouldn't. I can barely stand the amount of shifts my STi takes. I could see them shortening up the whole gear set slightly...making room for the tall 6th...but who knows. I DO enjoy the 5spd in the LGT ...in some ways I wish the STi had either a 5MT or a further ratio for 1-3. I end up taking off in 2nd sometimes just to skip a shift...1st is so short that the car doesn't mind. :)

Surely Subaru would be smart about it though.

Oh the things I could say.....:rolleyes: But I digress...

I doubt they would - I've been in many cars with 5 and 6 sp trannies and the 6 is rarely all that much taller for the purposes of cruising. As I had said - even in my wifes acura it's not geared as well as I would expect for highway driving. However, winding the thing out to 8k rpm is a lotta fun! Love that vtec ;)

The H6 engine (auto) runs between 2750 and 2800 rpm at 80. It's such a great highway cruiser.
Except it has to downshift a lot more than a LGT at those kinds of speeds when encountering hills.

(I'm comparing with an LL Bean H6 loaner on my usual commute. The LGT just pulls and pulls in 5th compared to the H6 auto, which often downshifted twice.)

The H6 engine (auto) runs between 2750 and 2800 rpm at 80. It's such a great highway cruiser.

REALLY ??? nice

Well im soo lucky to live in Nebraska where our speed limit is 75 :icon_tong and the cops make it no secret that they won't stop til you get to about 83+ :icon_bigg

I love my car ... basically.

REALLY ??? nice

Well im soo lucky to live in Nebraska where our speed limit is 75 :icon_tong and the cops make it no secret that they won't stop til you get to about 83+ :icon_bigg

*****:icon_mad: LUCKEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Except it has to downshift a lot more than a LGT at those kinds of speeds when encountering hills.

Probably so, it only makes sense. When encountering a significant hill it downshifts and then the engine is still probably spinning at less than the 3500rpm that the LGT is always running at.

I don't find the downshifting to be an issue at all and in fact I hardly ever even notice it happening.

Archived