LegacyGT.com

Woo hoo! Xenons Installed w/o Drilling!! Wow these things rock!

SWP-LegacyGT

I did try to adjust but it seems to be casting the light far away from the vehicle but the really bright area near the front bumper remains. If I adjust them too high it may cause problems to the oncoming traffic. I'll do some adjustments this weekend.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently half way through this project and I believe now, possibly the 06 LGTs are different than what's described in the how-to. A couple differences I've noticed...

The stock wiring is "super glued" to the stock grommet, so pulling them through yields a grommet that is unworkable with the HID kits wiring.

If using the Xtec grommet, it's entirely to large for the stock grommet's hole.

I'm thinking it's time to drill.

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Interesting, I'll be do'n mine in the upcoming weeks.......good thing I got a heads up first ;)

I'll report back what I find......I've already found a bunch of "little" differences with the 06 and 05 with engine and other little things....

That's odd, Scans - You should (being the modder that you are) pull the headlamps out and snap pictures to see if there is any differences between the two housing. If so, I guess an '05 Drill-less FAQ is needed along with maybe an '06 drill-less FAQ.

Sorry for the lack of pics. The kit is in and AWESOME. Here's my minor additions. Granted drilling is drilling, but to use a 1 inch hole bit makes the xtec grommets fit perfectly and look extremely "stock-like". Secondly, I found mounting the ballasts to the top of the fog light "space" is the best place for me. Very flat, shouldn't take too much moisture, and was easy to clean. Gravity will help it stay there well. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the lack of pics. I love the kit though. Shoutout to RPM, great place to buy from, and Donny is just about the best guy I've worked with when ordering parts.

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I received my Xtec 5K kit from RPM on Friday, and had an opportunity to install the kit in my GTB yesterday afternoon. Before I go any further, I need to thank both PDX-LegacyGT & Scans007 for their excellent documentation.

Overall the install went as documented until the end. I managed to break both of the xtec rubber boots... :icon_surp Careful with those guys, they don't like to man handled.

To attach the ballasts, I removed the low beam wire from the headlight completely. This left a hole, about .75" or 1" in diameter to push the xtec bulb wires through. It was a bit tricky learning how to maneuver these connectors through, but it does work.

The only problem with my install is that the hole I used to route the xtec wiring though is open. I called Subaru, and unfortunately the boot that normally plugs this hole is only available on the harness ($17). Rather then dumping 34$ just to cut the harness up, I am now on the lookout for the proper rubber grommet. I am going to try and take measurements of the stock boot and see if I can find a match here. Worst case scenario, if my search fails, I will use silicone and create a ghetto boot.

The lights are everything the other members said they are. Absolutely fantastic!! :icon_bigg

• 2 weeks later...

Woo hoo just got mine installed in the past few days, I had to do some thinking as to which way I wanted to approach it. Really wanted to do the no drill method but I ended up drilling but it worked out good. Here are a few tips for anyone looking to do this. Just want to add my two bits to this thread.

-Watch out for the loctite/superglued wires in the rubber boot, it is very difficult to remove the wires out of the boot without damaging it. Pull the boot out to look at it before you start messing with the plug or else you will be disappaointed that you spent so much time trying to remove the plug to get the wires out.

-If wires are superglued, the easiest way is to cut the boot to get the wires out.

-You don't have to remove the stock plug if your objective is to just get the plug outside of the light housing, it will come out of the housing by maneuvering it sideways out of the hole, you'll understand what I mean if you look at the plug and see the size of the hole.

-Drilling the caps isn't really too bad if you have a rubber boot/grommet on the bulb wires, mine was round and I managed to find the right size drill bit to make the correct size hole for a snug fit.

So in the end I used my stock rubber boot to plug the hole in the light housing where the stock harness entered the housing, drilled my caps and used the HID grommet to plug that hole. Stock harness was removed from the housing and the rest was plug and play. I still don't have the ballasts mounted but I have them wedged so they are not going anywhere. Great upgrade, I recommend.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, need some help here.

So I took out the battery, and took a look at the wiring to get a better idea of what was going on.

I understand how the wiring gets to the black plastic clip. I also understand how to open up that clip, and this is there the ballast wires connect into. What I don't understand is the whole "push the grommet as far down the from the HID bulb housing"

I have the Xtec kit, and it looks just like this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c253/xtec_kit.JPG

Well almost like it...I don't have the wires in the dead center, I have the wires that are shown in PDX's walkthrough...later on where it says, "now you're ready for these wires" The problem I am having (I think) is that the HID bulbs have this rubber boot right behind them, and then have that plastic covering the black and white wires. Well the rubber boot doesn't move, and I don't think it is long enough to be routed to where the stock rubber boot is. And secondly, I think older versions of the kit didn't have the rubber boot at all, so it was possible to run wires through that flexible plastic thing covering the black and white wires. Can anyone explain this a little more?

Thanks.

psucaptainkickass - I have the exact same kit.

Remove plastic covering the black and white wires, you won't need them. In order to slide the grommet without ripping it off (I ripped off mine, be extremely careful with these, they're very delicate), apply a little bit of soap water it'll slide off easily to one end.

Because I ripped off one of the grommets , I ended up drilling a hole through the OE plastic caps and ran the Male/Female connectors that are connected to the Bulb. In this way I didn't have to remove the exhaust casing and the battery.

Awesome...so I apply soapy water to what end of the rubber grommet? It seems like the rubber grommet has a little bit of rubber tubing that extends down toward the bulb housing. Its hard to see inside the grommet to see if this rubber tubing is an extension of the grommet or not. Also, is it safe to have soapy water that close to the bulb casing.

So I take it once this whole grommet starts to move, you move it into position to where the stock one is? In which case...do you kinda jam the ballast wires in that opening and assume that the force of the rubber grommet will keep it in place?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I just want to make sure I get it right/do it the easiest way.

Usually you won't have to use any soap. The grommet can be pulled all the way towards the connectors, if it becomes difficult to slide the grommet then use liquid. No it is not safe to have soapy water, use it with caution, blot it out with paper once done.

As far as the ballast wires, the way I did it was I was able to slide out the stock bulb connector outside of the housing completely including the stock grommet. So your ballast connector that connects to the stock female socket will be exposed, I taped it good and used zip-ties to secure the wire.

Once you've pulled out the stock wires out, the only thing that goes through the stock opening is the Xtec grommet. It might not be the right fit but the fact that the wire is short and the Xtec grommet bigger than the stock, it should create a water tight fit. When in doubt you can always use silicone. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind if you ever have an electrical related problem and need some warranty work done, make sure you remove the HID's. My local dealer warned me about this, usually if you're in pretty good terms with the service department it should be okay. But if for some reason they have to get Subaru involved for repairs, the first thing they would do is reject repairs as soon as they see aftermarket stuff.

• 4 months later...

Hi, guys

I just got my Apexcone 5000 kit on Thursday. When I purchased I did select the 35 watt kit with complete harrness relay. Right now, I am totally confused with the wiring and the relay things. Does any one have any idea how to integrate the relay wires with the existing wires? Or I made a mistake purchasing useless relay?

Thanks for your opinions

• 9 months later...
i wanted to try doing your drill-less method today on my 07 but it seems like some pics are missing from your original post. do you think you can repost those? also how many connectors do you need pry off on each side? thanks!

Archived