LegacyGT.com

Woo hoo! Xenons Installed w/o Drilling!! Wow these things rock!

SWP-LegacyGT

No they aren't, unless they have the self leveling ability which non do......

Exactly.

However, if you are willing to choose 4300 to even 5000 Kelvin color-temperature bulbs (OEM is typically 4300 to 4600 K), and retrofit to stock or LHD headlamp housings that have decent cut-off (such as on our LGTs), you should pass without much trouble in most areas unless lighting codes are STRINGENTLY enforced.

Taking further steps to insure having an excellent cut-off and beam pattern, such as retrofitting with complete-optics (instead of just using plug-and-play systems) can give you even more of a buffer, and you'll also rest-assured that you're being even more considerate to oncoming drivers. Still, though, despite a much improved beam pattern and cut-off such a system can provide for you (which is in many cases truly of superior grade), your conversion would be "illegal" upon close inspection.

Personally, I don't see the benefit in having various auto-leveling features. Despite their best intents, currently, I feel that they do not react fast enough to compensate for many road conditions, and still cause oncoming drivers plenty of glare. :( This, no doubt, will be rectified as HIDs continue to see more improvement in the near future.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice video pdx, i like the narration w/ intro of yourself.:lol:

looks pretty similar to the 4600K kit i got. i lowered the L (driver side) headlight to help reduce the chance that i'd glare oncoming traffic, but it still lights up the road nicely. isn't it amazing how much difference it makes in light output?

TYNY ~ Totally man. It's like.... Night and Day. :lol: (No pun intended) but honestly it makes driving at night fun again! The difference between Xenon's and Halogens is pretty substantial I'd say.

Also on the video.... yeah, I think the self-narriation is definately a personality trait for me. :D

Worth every nickle, penny and dime (at least for me).

That being said, I don't think I need to adjust the lights at all since I haven't gotten flashed at all. Also, having the PIAA ION's (yellow fogs) w/ the Xenon's = NIGHT TIME BLISS! :D

Posted it on my site so we don't have to do the fun download trips

Right click Save as

HID Video

it's on my media page :D Thanx Meng for the fun video......I'll prob do my hids this way too now. Prob won't bother with the connectors and just cut the freak'n wires and hook them up direct...;)

The cut off looks wrong?!! There is that flare at the top?!

Correct cut off => http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=321529&postcount=19

A member had a cut off similar to yours and it turned out that his bulbs were incorrectly oriented. They needed a 180 deg turn.

All I'm going to say is this is against the garage wall and you think my beam pattern is off?

BTW, the bulbs are slotted so they only fit one way. I feel for the other guy though as if he installed them wrong then that sucks.

Nice job, very good narration on your vid and nice tennis balls in the garage :lol: Gives me a good idea as to what they will look like on my car. I think it is something I will do this summer for sure.

Tennis balls are nice effect aren't they? :lol: Also I figured this would be nice for people to have that want to know what they'll look like! :) (ie the finished product)

Dudes thanks for new instruction on the install of the HID w/out drilling the cap. This thread, has been a god send. Did the install using this instruction and made some changes on minor parts. :icon_bigg Luving the HIDs

The cut off looks wrong?!! There is that flare at the top?!

Correct cut off => http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=321529&postcount=19

A member had a cut off similar to yours and it turned out that his bulbs were incorrectly oriented. They needed a 180 deg turn.

that link is of my car, however that is not a kit. its a complete bmw hella d2s projector conversion which is why the cutoff is much different.

details here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=321529&postcount=19

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Well, guys... My McCulloch 6K kit showed up today, and I started taking the car apart before I read this post.

I'm *really* glad I stopped where I did. I'm leaving for a driving trip to Florida this Sat., and I don't think I'll get them in by then, but I'm glad I won't have to drill.

I'm standing there looking at the cap off the back of the headlight assy. muttering, "How the hell am I gonna get this to fit??"

I might get ambitious and try doing it later. I dunno. If it truly only takes an hour and a half, I might not be able to resist.

Thanks!

:)

Well, guys... My McCulloch 6K kit showed up today, and I started taking the car apart before I read this post.

I'm *really* glad I stopped where I did. I'm leaving for a driving trip to Florida this Sat., and I don't think I'll get them in by then, but I'm glad I won't have to drill.

I'm standing there looking at the cap off the back of the headlight assy. muttering, "How the hell am I gonna get this to fit??"

I might get ambitious and try doing it later. I dunno. If it truly only takes an hour and a half, I might not be able to resist.

Thanks!

:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis

OK. Just got back in from doing the install.

With the help of PDX's instructions, there were no surprises. Thanks very much for that.

It took me a bit longer than an hour and a half, but I was watching TV at the same time, so... I didn't find that space was an issue, and when I pulled the airbox out I couldn't believe how many leaves were in there -- as well as how much crap was inside the airbox.

The 6K color is alright. I'm sure the 4300K or 5K from some of the various manufacturers is whiter and perhaps a bit brighter. But I have no complaints. The beam pattern is great (not as good as my GM6 2.5 RS with its true Euro H4s), and the illumination of the road is perfect.

I also got a set of H1 HIDs for my Suzuki motorcycle. It has a projector beam on the low-beam side, and a free-form reflector on the high-side. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks again.

yup hour and half is all it took. Def good to have another person for pulling apart the clips and small hands for getting the wires through the grommet hole. I intstalled the 5000k They work great.

Hey now I like my seat belt chime! :D

Gohmer1 ~ You wanting pics of the car outside?

Wife has the camera still. :( She's down in New Orleans with her work and doesn't get back till tomorrow, so this weekend, I'll have a photoshoot. :)

• 2 weeks later...

PDX-LegacyGT

Thanks for the great instructions. I was able to install the Xtec's fine with a couple of problems.

1. I broke the grommet provided by Xtec on one of the lights, I'll figure out some fancy silicon solution to seal it.

2. The driver side beam seems to be focussing too close to the car, it almost looks like a fog light. I tried to adjust the height but it doesn't seem to change - any ideas?

Archived