LegacyGT.com

Anyone ever modify the adjustable nut behind the steering wheel?

Van1

What I mean is, has anyone here ever attended an organized Drivers Education event at a road course like Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs, Road America, Sears Point, etc, in their Subaru? Like those put on by the Porsche, BMW, Audi, Corvette, Mustang, etc car clubs or organizations such as NASA, Tracquest etc. It seems that everyone on this board is quick to get the latest Stage I, II or III whatchamacallit or whatever, but I never read about anyone honing their drivers skill or exploring the limits of their Subaru in the relatively safe and legal environment of a closed road course. I have attended quite a few in my BMW E36 M3 as well as my Porsche 911. They are alot of fun. You learn much about yourself as a driver as well as how much more capable your car is than you. I want to take my LGT wagon out this year just to see how well it performs in stock form.

I did one at Pacific Raceways (near Seattle) when I had my WRX. It was a great experience. I also had an instructor with me on some laps for other days at the track. Its amazing how much you can learn so quickly. And how much you will still have left to learn after that.

As for cost they can vary a lot depending on where they are, who runs then, and whether or not you use your own car. But you're looking at somewhere from a couple hundred dollars on up.

Karl, it depends on the venue and the club or organization. I paid $475 to run Willow Springs in SoCal with the BMW club on a Saturday and Sunday. At the same track I paid around $250 for two days with NASA but during the week. Track rental is much more on the weekends. Here in the midwest, I am paying $240 for 2 days with the Porsche club at a track called Mid America Motorplex on a weekend. You can also do one day schools for less.

Patagonian, my appologies if I offended you. Honestly, 99% of the stuff posted on the Legacy Forum could be moved to a more specific forum. My question is not about track events themself but now many Legacy GT owners participate in this activity with their Legacy GT.

check around the forums, (either regionally or in the motorsports forum) and you might find some there.. I am usually out there to get some people together to the track to have a good time and get some driver's ed in there...

I have been participating in track events with the GT ever since I first got it.. look around, you'll see lot..

Keefe

Patagonian, my appologies if I offended you. Honestly, 99% of the stuff posted on the Legacy Forum could be moved to a more specific forum. My question is not about track events themself but now many Legacy GT owners participate in this activity with their Legacy GT.

Heh...I'm not offended. Just because others post in the wrong place doesn't mean you need to :icon_tong

Besides...how astute of an observation from someone who has posted only six times. As a former mod, 'legacy' is the dumping ground since it's first on the list.

////It seems that everyone on this board is quick to get the latest Stage I, II or III whatchamacallit or whatever, but I never read about anyone honing their drivers skill or exploring the limits of their Subaru in the relatively safe and legal environment of a closed road course. I have attended quite a few in my BMW E36 M3 as well as my Porsche 911. ////

You own an M3 and a 911? Lucky you!

How many BMW SUV's or station wagons or Cayennes show up at MBWCCA or PCA events? Hot lapping race courses in the family grocery getter is probably not the most popular activity. WRX's are more likely to show up at such events. I think you'd get more OBW's at a bike race than a car race.

There is no direct Subaru counterpart to BMWCCA or PCA. But as a group I think the Subaru owners are nicer people.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

You own an M3 and a 911? Lucky you!

How many BMW SUV's or station wagons or Cayennes show up at MBWCCA or PCA events? Hot lapping race courses in the family grocery getter is probably not the most popular activity. WRX's are more likely to show up at such events. I think you'd get more OBW's at a bike race than a car race.

There is no direct Subaru counterpart to BMWCCA or PCA. But as a group I think the Subaru owners are nicer people.

I wish I had both, I sold the M3 to buy the 911. I have yet to see an X5 or Cayenne show up to a DE. But I have seen people do them in their 7 Series. I think it would be a blast to use my LGT wagon. To see the face of some guy in a 997 or Ferrari doing his first event as I pass him in a wagon would be priceless. There is always a WRX or two when I go along with a sampling of everything else from Mustangs, Vettes, Mitsubishi Evos, Minis, Miatas, Ferraris, Audis, Vipers, BMWs, Porsches, etc. Point being, no matter what club is hosting the event other makes are welcome. The lack of an organized Subaru club shouldn't stop Legacy owners from attending another marque's event. WRX owners have this figured out.

I'm a HPDE (high performance driver's education) instructor in the NE with SDCA (sdca1.com) and NASA NE which has just merged with PDA (http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/registration/index.jsp). Tracks driven include Watkins Glen, Lime Rock Park, Mid Ohio, New Hampshire Road Course, Pocono Raceway, and BeaveRun.

I drive my other car at these events. I've not seen a S GT on the track yet, I'm looking forward to it.

ReedZ

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/Untitled-12.jpg

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/Untitled-17.jpg

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/Untitled-1.jpg

Yes. http://www.scda1.com is who I went with. Couple of hundred bucks for four 20 minute sessions on track combined with classroom training. All day event. Instructors are enthusiasts, 99% who take their cars out the same day in the instructor group. Good time, but hell on the brakes/tires. Had 5K on the car when I did it, front pads were 65% gone afterwards and I had boiled the fluid, hehe.

Great fun, learned a lot, and is very, very cool. Recommend it!

ReedZ,

You're a SCDA instructor eh? Wonder if I had met you before... Forget my instructors name now. Drove a gray stripped interior M3 with cage, believe it was modded for a BMW race series. Towed it to the track with a light brown Chevy pick-up. Matt something???

Oh, and the LGT was fine... Front would give first, but by the end of the day I was getting nice neutral drift in some of the corners. Instructor mentioned a solid car all-around. If you take the LGT wagon to the track, you have to do this with it as well:

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/aimhigh.jpg

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/rallyslide.jpg

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/rallydirt.jpg

I would absolutly love for someone to come out with me on the track and give me advice. I just wish it wasnt so damn expensive, especially since I'll probably end up using my own car! Is there any way the get the advice... CHEAP!???

If you are in the NorthEast, SCDA offers guests check rides with instructors. I would be happy to take you for a spin... just kidding!

BeanBoy,

I usually wear a yellow nomex suit at the track and drive a red Honda convertible with roll bar and harnesses. Are you planning on driving with SCDA again this summer?

I just purchased my Legacy in December, it's my winter car and non turbo, so I probably will not be taking it on any courses this summer. I purchased it for comfort and traction and will probably not be modding it. My Honda was a different story, however. Lots of extra toys!!

BTW, the last photos of your LGT looks like a terrible thing to do to a perfectly good wash and wash job, but it must be fun!!

ReedZ

The wax and polymers I have on the car protect the paint so I can do things like that! :icon_twis

I might try to go again up to NHIS at least with SCDA once this summer. Want to try and fit an ice/winter rally in as well as well as a drag event, 99% certain that will be Subaru Appreciation Day at NE Drag Way... Nothing like 20+ runs for free! Oh, and at least one autocross. Have done that before, just not with this car. Want to try and fit a road rally in to boot, hopefully something on the dirt roads of VT.

-B

Archived