LegacyGT.com

Racing Advenntures

chucktoo

Hi

While waiting for my car to be finished I decided to get some more instruction and seat time in a FFR spec car.

Last year at age 57 I decied to learn how to drive . I did all they typical training - Barber driving,racing and car control schools - Bondurant advanced racing school.

The schools had instructors that were either current racers [ worst teachers ] and semi-retired racers [ some good teachers but most were OK ]. The cars ran from Neon's to Formual Dodges [ once you drive an open car there is no going back to a roof] to Mustangs [ terrible handling cars].

Dave Z of Racing Adventures is by far the best instructor I have run across so far. Having a masters degree in sports psychology he reaaly is good at understanding people and how to teach them. It does not hurts that he is a world class driver with lots of experiances in lots of different cars .

They teach with both C-5 vetts and FFR spec cobras.

http://www.racingadventures.com/1cobra_school/index.html

He does all the standard trainings like threshold braking - lane change and the like.

Where he gets interesting is in day 2 - where you do a passing excercise running side by side with another car lapping the track to get the feel of totally different lines. You quickly get it into your head that the racing line is really the best way around.You also learn to use you peripheral vision to keep the other car right beside you while looking ahead.

Another interesting excercise is lapping as fast as you can with no brakes - you really learn to look ahead and get a lot smoother.

The only thing missing was skid pad or skid car work . I have done this with Barber and Bondurant in the past. This was a helpfull when I over cooked a corner and has to gather the car back up again.

One student showed up with his E Production Porsche that he runs club events with [ yes you can bring your own race legal car ] . It was a blast running with him . Very evenly matched cars but very different around the track -the Cobra's torque made coming out of turns fun. No contest with with his race slicks through the corners sad to say.

I am going back in 2 weeks and do Dave's last day of formal training - after that it is lapping days.

When my car is done I will take it to Dave for some personal instruction. You learn a lot faster with a professional and hopefully minimize bad habbits.

If you know people who want to get into racing Racing Advedntures and Dave Z are the best I have found so far.

Dave is setting up a track in Texas and I expect the training will be even more complete there.

Two more days on track with a spec car convinced me my decison to build an SU Cobra was the right choice for me. Relative to Spec Racer I want stickier tires [ we running 275 victor racers ], more brakes [ Dave was running street pads that got quickly cooked ], sway bars and more power for 10% of the time.The power is not needed for racing but is needed for fun factor.

Thanks Charlie

Archived