LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control failing-AGAIN!!!

dougc

I've had two cruise control "failure's", but both of mine were directly associated with a single hard stutter, which I also feel occasionally when the CC is not engaged. My stutter occurs during light acceleration somewhere between about 2800-3500rpms. The car is currently at the dealership getting the stutter reflash (amongst other things), so I'm hoping my CC problems go away after that. This seems like it's different than the neutral switch problem.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I left Chris from SOA a v/m like two days ago, he called me back today and stated that they have a permanent fix in place and the dealer will have it by next week. I'll call them on Monday and set up a time to drop the car off...I guess we'll see if this does it.

...they have a permanent fix in place and the dealer will have it by next week...

Doug, good info, keep us posted. I am curious what exactly their fix is.

While I am expecting a hardware fix (i.e. Neutral Safety Switch), I would still like my system re-flashed to take care of the downhill surging. I hope it won't be too much trouble to get this all taken care of.

Unfortunately, I have been to damn busy to make an appt. yet. I leave for Indy on Sunday for a week of company training and probably won't be able to get it to the dealer until I get back, so I won't have any updates til then.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it's been a while since I posted on here...life's been real busy. Friday though, I took my car to the dealer to have the supposed "permenant fix" downloaded into my car, plus an oil change and new wipers. I waited there for 1 1/2 hrs total. They told me that the tech drove the car and the CC worked fine. I explained to them that it is intermittent and you have to spend some time on the highway using the CC and it will just turn itself off. Then they tell me that they pulled the software version off my ECU and compared it to the most recent and they match. Basically they are telling me that there isn't any "newer" software versions then what is in my car currently. I told them that I was contacted by SOA and was informed that they have been working on a permanent fix for the CC problem and that they spoke with the Service Manager Pete and all I had to do was bring the car in for the download. Well, the tech said that he called the Technical hotline and there isn't any other software available and that my problem is the Neutral Position Switch. They ordered the switch and I should have it installed this week sometime. Sooooo....the saga continues. I just don't understand how SOA can tell me one thing and the dealer says another. Wappinger Falls Subaru is the dealer and they told me that they don't even program ECU's there, they always have them sent out??? Guess once the Neutral POS switch is installed, I'll test it out and see if that fixed it once and for all......more to follow.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, yesterday I brought my car in for them to replace the Neutral POS switch and so far so good. I took the car to work this morning and the CC did not fail one time. I will keep testing it though.

Similair thing happened to me this weekend, except my check engine light came on, fuel gauge dropped to zero and the cruise was blinking.

I filled up the tank thinking that a sensor was off, turned the car off, and nothing reset.

I'd had the same cruise control problems on my 05 Outback 5MT since I bought the car in June 05. After many fruitless trips to the dealer, reflashes, calls to SOA and web searches, I finally convinced them to just replace the damn neutral switch...and voila! Problem solved. It's been 3 weeks and not a single glitch.

Apparently there is a good supply of these switches in the US now. For any of you still experiencing this incredibly annoying cruise control problem, I urge you to request that your dealer replace the neutral switch. SOA will advise they do it if you contact them.

My CC failed for the first time this past weekend (I'm rarely lucky enough to take long non-rush hour highway trips, so who knows how long I've been close to having a problem with this). Shut's off 20 seconds after it's engaged. 05 Turbo MT5, FWIW.

I guess my timing is good - sounds like a permenant fix has been identified. Thanks to all who have persevered before me!

Now, If I could only get my heated seat fixed (2 attempts so far, still broken/unresolved). Still might have a lemon case on that issue....

Another LGT 5MT victim of CC B/S.

Thank God for this website...

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Dont be so sure about your so called "permanent" fix fellas. Wait a few thousand miles and see. I had the switch replaced 2x and neither time did it solve the problem....Its only temporary and will comeback.

Great, so this is the Subaru verison of the mid-80's Audi sticking accelerator ghost then....Unfixable, highly annoying, and a topic to bring up at every Subaru meet and forum for generations to come.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

so after 10 mins of reading this whole thread, i can only imagine how frustrating this must be. I have only one question: any record of this happening in the AT? i think everyone has posted with this problem had a 5MT. just curious. I hope you guys are having better luck.
It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

• 2 weeks later...

So I had my car at the dealership this past weekend for some servicing, and they took a look at my CC problem. They ended up reflashing/re-programming my ECU!?!?! :iam:

(I don't have the receipt with the exact write-up/description with me now, I'll post the exact verbage soon).

Anyone else's dealer try this fix?

So I had my car at the dealership this past weekend for some servicing, and they took a look at my CC problem. They ended up reflashing/re-programming my ECU!?!?! :iam:

(I don't have the receipt with the exact write-up/description with me now, I'll post the exact verbage soon).

had the same thing done to mine about 2,000 miles ago. haven't had any problems since.

I just got a CEL with blinking "Cruise." I haven't used the CC in a long time (2,000 miles and no problem then, well the radio and climate control lights stopped working, may have been unrelated). I have an OBXT 5MT and the turbo didn't seem to spool at all also. I was getting no more power at 4.5K rpm than 2K rpm. This was at full throttle also.

Then on the way back, I could tell the turbo was working, getting that power surge around 3K rpm but the CEL and flashing "Cruise" was still there.

I am going to see if the lights are still there in the morning. If so, I'll get the code pulled somewhere.

Did you read the whole post. My ECU was flashed at the first attempt, took em almost a month to get me my car back...**see previous rants***

I certainly hope this is the fix, if it comes back, I am going to raise holy hell with Subaru after all that I have been through w/ this issue. I am happy right now though :)

Well, the lights were still on this morning, so I set up a time to take the car in...

And when I was ready to leave, they went off. I have no idea what is going on.

The trouble code is still stored within your OBD computer. I'd still get a scan to find out what it is.

']The trouble code is still stored within your OBD computer. I'd still get a scan to find out what it is.

That is why I still am going to get a scan soon. I just had other things to do yesterday... like watch soccer. haha :)

Archived