LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control failing-AGAIN!!!

dougc

My check engine light and the flashing cruise turned off the next day when I started the car, so I was not able to get the code(s). I am just going to wait for what SOA is calling the "permanent fix" to come out in March. Once they do this work, if it fails again, I am going to raise holy hell and demand a new car :lol: ...wonder if it will work?

Oh...I wonder If I should just let them try to fix it on their own, or if I should recommend checking the Neutral switch?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same CC problems. It started when the OB was a month old. The CC would disengage after a few hours of use, now only after a few minutes. Yesterday the dealer reflashed the ECU. It took about 30 minutes.

So far so good, although with everyone else's experience, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Same problem with the CC here, too!

First started occassionally 'round about Thanksgiving, now it won't stay on for more then a few minutes. 23,000 miles total.

Dealer hadn't heard of the problem, wanted to flash the ECU. No thanks, not until the problem is ID'd.

I emailed SOA middle of last week, so far no response.

Any specific details of this March "Permanent Fix"??? When is it due? Does it claim to take care of any other issues? (i.e. cruise "surging" on downhills)

I had issues with CC surging on downhills. Since my throttle body was replaced (to fix stalling issue), my CC surging is gone. My throttle body tended to stick at the closed position according to data logs captured by the dealer.

There is a reflash available for 2005 normally aspirated manual transmission 2.5L Legacy and Outback cars which corrects several problems including:

1) Cruise Control Intermittently shuts off.

2) Vehicle surge with cruise control on going downhill.

Same problem with the CC here, too!

First started occassionally 'round about Thanksgiving, now it won't stay on for more then a few minutes. 23,000 miles total.

Dealer hadn't heard of the problem, wanted to flash the ECU. No thanks, not until the problem is ID'd.

I emailed SOA middle of last week, so far no response.

Any specific details of this March "Permanent Fix"??? When is it due? Does it claim to take care of any other issues? (i.e. cruise "surging" on downhills)

FORGET emailing SOA. Call this number 800-782-2783, that is SOA's number. I sw Chris both times, he is taking care of my case number. Also, he can pass it directly on to a Sr. Rep. That's how I got a month's payment credited for the car being at the dealership so long. I spoke w/ Chris again two weeks ago about this. Anyone who is having this problem (especially if it was at the dealer already and is still doing it) should call that number and ask for Chris and have a case # opened for this problem.

Actually email might be ok... but I defintely wouldn't call. You need to document your communications with SOA and the dealer. I would suggest using Certfied US Mail (dont forget to request a return receipt) as it tends to get the point across a little more quickly and it will withstand legal scrutiny.

What do you think opening up a case # does. Everything is documented in it. When I have called and referenced my case number, they can tell me exactly when it was opened, who talked to me and on what day. You can also just take your own notes as to when you called and who you spoke with. I guess it doesn't matter whether it is by email or phone, as long as you open a case number about the CC problem...you should be all set. I have only dealt with SOA via phone and I have had no problems at all. As a matter of fact, it is more personal that way and you can get your frustrations across more easily.

']There is a reflash available for 2005 normally aspirated manual transmission 2.5L Legacy and Outback cars which corrects several problems including:

1) Cruise Control Intermittently shuts off.

2) Vehicle surge with cruise control on going downhill.

Just to confirm then that the Curise Control problem I'm having on my non-turbo 2.5 is different (& solved); everyone else here is having unresolved trouble on turbocharged vehicles?

I had my car at the dealer yesterday to get the cruise control fixed for the third time. The dealer said that they now have a fix. They are just waiting for Subaru to send it to them. They said they should have it within the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Just to confirm then that the Curise Control problem I'm having on my non-turbo 2.5 is different (& solved); everyone else here is having unresolved trouble on turbocharged vehicles?

NO...I have a 2.5i ltd and the problem came back after the reflash. I was told by SOA that the fix will be out in March. Once it is released, Chris from SOA told me he would call me and let me know so I can make an appt to have it done. If I don't hear from him in like 2 weeks I will do a follow up call.

NO...I have a 2.5i ltd and the problem came back after the reflash. I was told by SOA that the fix will be out in March. Once it is released, Chris from SOA told me he would call me and let me know so I can make an appt to have it done. If I don't hear from him in like 2 weeks I will do a follow up call.

Ok, thanks, that sound more reasonable!

I'll sit tight and watch for a post from you indicating the fix is in!

What do you think opening up a case # does. Everything is documented in it. When I have called and referenced my case number, they can tell me exactly when it was opened, who talked to me and on what day. You can also just take your own notes as to when you called and who you spoke with. I guess it doesn't matter whether it is by email or phone, as long as you open a case number about the CC problem...you should be all set. I have only dealt with SOA via phone and I have had no problems at all. As a matter of fact, it is more personal that way and you can get your frustrations across more easily.

What I'm trying to say her bud is that SOA has a vested interest in minimizing their monetary losses (ie they might even try to scew you). Anyone who is experiencing this problem has a defect present in their car which seriously diminishes the value of that car. What SOA has likely failed to share with you, is that in many states this (along with the manufacturer's inability to resolve the defect) is sufficient grounds for the car to be "lemoned".

I read what you wrote and that is not the point you were making. The main reason for opening a case # w/ SOA is that right now most of these cars are still under warranty. If you open a case and have the car looked at by the dealer because of this problem, then when the car is outside the warranty...they still have to fix it for free if it should happen again. Three years from now..you might not have a copy of the email...but if you call SOA and give them the VIN #, they can find all your case problems you ever opened with them.

So I take it you have faith that these records might not come up missing after say 3 years and an upgrade or so to SOA's CRM system?

Point is you better have docoumentation of your own. Notes alleging phone calls on particular dates and times wont do you any good.

NO they will not come up missing...it is in the system. When the dealer fixes something under warranty, they have record of it....if that part should break again after the warranty...they have to honor it as part of the warranty.

I can't understand why you think calling SOA and complaining about the CC issue and having a case number opened for it...is a bad idea.

Well,

here's my good news/bad news update!

As I said earlier, I ordered the Neutral Switch from Subaru.

That was about 2-3 weeks ago.

I was informed last week there were none at all in the US, and I would have to wait for a shipment from Japan.

That got me thinking.....

How could they let that happen?

None at all in the USA?

Thinking some more......

Maybe a redesign???????????

Let me get under the damn car and remove this thing to see what it looks like.

I mean after all, it is a switch.

On - off - on - off, how complex could it be?

So I pull it off and see it's just a simple plunger.

Plastic plunger. (Looked like plastic to me)

Pushed in = gear selected

Released = neutral.

So I figure it's got to be adjusted IN towards the tranny just a little bit more so the plunger would be pushed in just a little further when the car is in gear.

So I figure.....

REMOVE THE COPPER WASHER*****

Reassemble everything without the washer.

Lower the car.

Start it up.

and....

Can't select ANY GEARS!

I guess the switch body was preventing the selection of gears.

Back up it goes...

Remove the switch again, file down the copper washer ever so slightly.....

Replace everything one more time.

YEEEEE HAAAA!

Cruise works in every gear!

Every speed I tried. (up to 80 is all I tried for right now)

So maybe the switch does need a redesign!

Longer plunger should do nicely.

Then it becomes just a matter of selecting the correct thickness for a washer.

Could it possibly be that simple?

Cool man! I'll let Subaru figure that out..I am not too mechanically inclined and definately do not want to attempt anything at this point. If they can't fix this..the ball is in my court.

I ordered the Neutral Switch from Subaru...

...Maybe a redesign???????????

Replace everything one more time.

YEEEEE HAAAA!

Cruise works in every gear!

Could it possibly be that simple?

That was my original thought before I stumbled on this forum and began reading the "reflash" response from Subaru. Maybe the mid-March fix is new neutral safety switches?

Typically, software doesn't get worse with age. Hardware does.

Seemed wierd that so many of us were having trouble 20K+ miles into ownership, and that the shut-off problem "worsened" with time. This smacks of a switch developing a short or a sensor becoming, er... insensitive.

A truer test of this would be to either shunt or disconnect the leads of the neutral safety switch and see if the problem persists.

Fingers crossed! I'm missing my Cruise Control on longer trips.

ECU reflashed- Cruise worked perfectly on the way to my lake house (5 hr drive); on the way home, after about an hour of driving, the damn thing kicked off. It would reset but only last a few minutes. It's going back to the dealer. I figure after three tries, I'll have a case # opened with SOA.

ECU reflashed- Cruise worked perfectly on the way to my lake house (5 hr drive); on the way home, after about an hour of driving, the damn thing kicked off. It would reset but only last a few minutes. It's going back to the dealer. I figure after three tries, I'll have a case # opened with SOA.

After 3 you very likely will have yourself a new ride, check out your states consumer protection laws ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't heard from them yet. I was just thinking yesterday how I should probably make a follow up call to Chris-SOA. I'll call sometime later on, I am at work, but will most likely get a chance.

Well,

I've put on approx 1,000 miles in the last 2 weeks and have had 1 Cruise Control "failure".

I can't figure out why just that once, but it hasn't happened again.

Enjoying the car now more than ever.

The Neutral Switch is still on national backorder, as soon as they arrive in the US, one will be shipped my way. (I'm staying on top of them)

I still believe it's more of a correct sized washer thing than a switch failure, as that is the only thing I modified.

Though a better designed switch can't hurt.

I'll report back if anything new comes up.

As I "Cruise" off into the sunset.......

With a smile on my face.......

Archived