LegacyGT.com

OEM quality springs and struts/shocks

CHRISPY

Hi guys,

I want to make a few changes to the suspension on my 05 LGT sedan and wanted your opinions.

1) Best springs with OEM quality and about 1 inch drop? People mention the pinks. Is this something I can buy from the dealer? Are they OEM quality?

2) Best shocks/struts. What are you all using (OEM quality) for shocks and struts. Bilsteins or others? I am looking for a decent improvement over stock without too much harshness. (I have a baby girl that is four months old and do not want to rattle her around in the car)

3) Swaybars – Are they necessary with shocks and springs upgraded?

Goals are occasional auto-x but 99% street driving.

What are the suspension specs on the Spec B LGT? Can those pieces be bought directly?

I am not interested in putting in a set of springs that’ll wear out in 18 months or drop the car too much.

I’ll be running 235/40/17 GY GSD3 tires.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

1. Pinks are great....yes they are better than OEM quality!

2. As far as struts go we are VERY limited....go with the Bilsteins**spec B** the ride with the pinks will not be to harsh.....If I remember correctly OPIE has that exact setup.

3.Go with Cusco sways.....Yes you will be able to feel the difference

Your drop with the pinks is a little greater than 1".....more like 1.25F & 1.75R.

Good luck!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The best spring/strut combo is the Spec B Bilsteins/Spec B Pinks.

Racecomp sells the Spec B struts, which you also can buy directly from the dealer. There is also a Spec B specific STI pink spring which you can get from AVO, gruppe-s or racecomp.

Here is Racecomps thread, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22587

Lowering springs are always a hack and will descrease the life of the shock they are used with by asking it to work with a shorter stroke.

Tien basic or h&r street coilovers might be an option for you. They are mild upgrades and don't have adjustable shocks. However the ride is not going to be harsh. They use you factory rubber pillow ball mounts and their spring rates are fairly low. Their shocks will be factory matched for the springs they come equiped with. You will get the height you want and they will be cheaper than any spring/shock combo upgrades.

Matt

Thanks guys this is great info.

I am leaning towards the spec B struts and spec B springs. Anyone know off hand the pricing on these?

I really like using OEM components as they generally last longer and have a lower failure rate.

cheers,

Chris

Racecomp quoted in that thread

$1799 for struts/swift springs, add $150 for STI Pinks.

$1499 for struts alone.

Gruppe-S you will want to PM for pricing on the STI spec b pinks. I belive they are a little more than the GT versions.

AVO turbo world has the spec B pinks for $499 shipped, http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/index.php?cPath=1_58_3_66

chris - get a ride from someone first before you make a decision, if at all possible. I have specb struts and pinks and I love them but it is a very firm ride in town. imo. I'm sure some/many other setups may be even firmer.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

rubber pillow ball = oxymoron

You either have a rubber upper mount (like stock) or a spherical metal bushing which is otherwise known as a pillowball.

^thanks for clearing that up. hopefully you guys know what I meant.

rubber mount may take out some of the nvh for a street setup.

chris - get a ride from someone first before you make a decision, if at all possible. I have specb struts and pinks and I love them but it is a very firm ride in town. imo. I'm sure some/many other setups may be even firmer.

But then again you are driving around DC Sandwood. My stock suspension felt pretty firm driving around there. It must be those damn DC streets... they are horrible to even the softest setup.

just to clarify things for this noob following this thread:

spec B struts (Bilsteins) and spec B springs - are these specific to the Sedan or will these work on a LGT Wagon? i am looking at making some suspension changes incrementally and was going to start with STi Pink Springs, but am trying to understand the difference between the GT ones and the spec B ones (and if the spec B ones work w/ a wagon etc.)

just to clarify things for this noob following this thread:

spec B struts (Bilsteins) and spec B springs - are these specific to the Sedan or will these work on a LGT Wagon? i am looking at making some suspension changes incrementally and was going to start with STi Pink Springs, but am trying to understand the difference between the GT ones and the spec B ones (and if the spec B ones work w/ a wagon etc.)

do a search. springs are specific to wagon or sedan. specb springs are different from pink springs. I know, I know - it's confusing!

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Archived