LegacyGT.com

DRL Debate

see_obxt

This actually happened two weeks ago.

I have not disabled my DRLs on my OBXT. I leave for work before 7:00am. I am only a few miles away. It's light enough outside to leave your lights off and some people still have theirs on. I did not have my lights on, just the DRLs. Well, I passed a woman that followed me into my parking lot, pulled up behind me and hysterically told me I must have a short because my rear lights are not working and it's a good thing the brake lights still work... I thanked her and told her it was the squirrily DRLs and that's the way they are supposed to work. She said, "that sucks, why would they do that..."

Some people leave their lights on all the time. I'd actually like a switch so when they are off they are off and versa visa. I really just thought this was funny that someone thought this was a short.

Personally, I consider the way our DRLs are to be broken. It is too easy for folks to drive around thinking their lights are fully on. You have dash lights, you have (partial) headlights, and yet your tail is fully unlit and you probably don't know it. It seems dangerous. I've seen many OBs driving around like this. To me, the lights should either all be on or all off.

Ya, I agree... not sure why they didn't do the DRLs like they do the motorcycle lights... all lights on all the time.

I would leave the light switch on all the time, but it's extremely difficult to break the habit of switching off the lights so the "battery doesn't drain" after ~30 years of driving... yes, I know that the Legacy automagically turns off the lights when the ignition is switched off, but I still turn off the light switch out of habit.

I'd actually like to see a mod that turns on all the lights when driving (that is, similar to the DRLs but with all lights including tails on) regardless of the light switch position. Maybe even a mod to the DRL circuit itself.

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

DRLs just seem like a terrible waste to me. if it's dark enough to not see well, PUT YOUR LIGHTS ON!

If you can't see the other cars in broad daylight MAIL YOUR LICENSE TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

"Suspend Your Own License"

829 Rockford Blvd.

Baltimore, MD

dR

I just don't understand the debate myself. I just leave my lights on all the time. This is going to be my 6th subie and I just love the fact that the lights work with the ignition. Just leave them on and they turn off with the car and back on when you are back in. You don't need to remember to turn them on at dusk. I just ignore all the idiots that falsh their lights at me because I have them on in the middle of the day. They are just not informed or know the beaughty of owing a subaru. I have never been flashed by another subaru driver becasue they know how it works.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I disabled mine when I put HIDs in. No sense in running those all the time. I would have disabled them anyway because I think it retarded to have your headlights on without having your tail lights on. I want the ability to turn my lights off sometimes too, and having DRLs keeps you from doing that unless you throw the ebrake on. I've seen too many retards driving around with their DRLs on thinking they have their headlights on but aren't aware nobody can see them from behind. It is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. How much more effort would it have been to have the tail lights come on with the DRLs anyway?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I wonder how hard it would be to change the wiring configuration to make angel eyes/halos work instead of the head light when installed?

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Easy, I have mine setup to run along with the corner lights, and I disabled the DRL.

All you have to do is install the RPM halo kit and wire it to the parking lamp. Then do the DRL disable mod.

So everytime you turn the car off or on, the parking lights come on along with the halos. Parking lights also have the rear tail lights and interior lights come on.

If you can't see the other cars in broad daylight MAIL YOUR LICENSE TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

"Suspend Your Own License"

829 Rockford Blvd.

Baltimore, MD

dR

I agree!! Can you PLEASE send this message to all the friggin morons that can't seem to see anything but still have licenses?!?!? I'd be happy to donate a few stamps!

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I wonder how hard it would be to change the wiring configuration to make angel eyes/halos work instead of the head light when installed?

Pretty damn easy I say, but as soon as you turn on your regular lights, they would go off without another extra mod. But not that hard.

X

---

Archived