LegacyGT.com

Video - Hot Laps at Buttonwillow

BOXRPWR

here's the short one. http://media.putfile.com/Buttonwillow-Hot-Laps

got another video with a full 20-min session but the file size is 89 MB so I gotta find a site that allows very large files. not terribly motivated to post it anyway since I get passed about a dozen times without passing a soul. those Yokohamas went from sticky to slippery as the heat & rubber built up on the track. MAN, I gotta get some R-compounds to stick like glue. Watching others take corners at amazing speed is getting boring.

pretty cool stuff.. I would just be too afraid to go WOT and mess up on a track=death of my car. Skip Barber Formula 1 Dodge Cars (3 day course) is something i did, and i definately flew off the road a couple of times locking up the brakes or having tto. Awesome video btw!
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

the Raze wheels are great. no troubles.

the Yokohamas got slippery as the heat & rubber built up on the track. the tires never squeled or made much noise. just noticed a 4-wheel drift if I tried to take a corner too hot.

now I'm absolutely convinced. to really, really enjoy a track day....you MUST have R-compound rubber. its incredible watching "average" cars brake later and carry speed thru corners simply based on tires.

the Raze wheels are great. no troubles.

the Yokohamas got slippery as the heat & rubber built up on the track. the tires never squeled or made much noise. just noticed a 4-wheel drift if I tried to take a corner too hot.

now I'm absolutely convinced. to really, really enjoy a track day....you MUST have R-compound rubber. its incredible watching "average" cars brake later and carry speed thru corners simply based on tires.

I watched some of your lines, you're just carrying in a bit too much speed into the turns (try not to think of it as momentum).. the brakes must be doing well for you, a little hard on the brakes during the trail braking is what you might be feeling during the 4 wheel drift. Just get back on the gas faster so you can start eating the distance off those other cars that you are trying to catch ;)

It's perfectly fine to feel for the 4 wheel drift.. it's good control and good slip angles to work with.. once you fine tune that feeling, going to an R-compound will be easier to work with. Car control is still important in my book, regardless how much power you make. ;)

Just becareful with R-compounds, if you overdrive them, they will just "give up" on you without much warning.

How's your tire wear after the event?

Keefe

thanks for the feedback. for what its worth, that video was the first session in the morning, so those were my first laps on the BW track since April '05. The tire wear was not bad at all. Even the corners were only moderately orange peeled. I will snap some pics of the tires FYI.

I saw what you mean about the R's giving up without much warning. In the late sessions of the day, I saw two different purpose-built cars spin in the same final corner entry onto the main straightaway. And when they spun it was BIG TIME!

Awsome, how much power is your car putting down?

With my Protune map for 100 octane fuel that I use at the track, its 375 whp / 400 wtq.

That said, I can testify firsthand that Xenonk is absolutely correct. Having a well-handling ride with maximum traction can put a "muscle-car" to shame. I was being lapped all day long by some Civics that were track-prepped but had little, if any power mods.

boxr - were you using HPS pads? how did they hold up? what are the top speeds on that track? thanks

Yes, running Hawk HPS pads all around. they did great. good deal of dusting but that's to be expected. max. speed is around 100-120 mph in a couple places for a very brief period. mostly running in the 40-80 mph realm.

in general, probably yes. it was the first session. wanted the car and driver to get warmed up. running probably 70% capacity. racheted up to maybe 85% in last lap before pitting to check on the camera.

I wish that I didn't have to wait many weeks or months between track sessions. I find it takes at least 1/2 day to get back into the groove of not over-thinking everything.

• 3 weeks later...
the first time I had sex was probably worth $100 bucks. In fact....I think that's what I paid :icon_bigg

-the best laugh I've had on lgt.com in a long time

the vid was great too. Looked like a lot of fun.:cool:

Archived