LegacyGT.com

Tightening Lugnuts

jc51373

Dayamm that's cheap! And it has a lifetime warranty too!?! Craftsman TQs have a 1-year warranty. Even Snap-On TQs have a lifetime warranty on the ratchet only - the calibration warranty is 1 year. Also, WRT accuracy this TQ is pretty much the same as the Craftsman/Snap-On. Finally, why buy the more expensive one? There are plenty of times you need to torque something to 10-20 ft-lbs, but how many times do you need to torque something over 150 ft-lbs?

My brother bought it a few years ago. It's amazing for $10. I use it to torque my wheels all the time.

The only concern I have with this torque wrench is just how much it's losing its calibration. I have no way of finding out and I'm sure it's not worth the cost of getting it calibrated professionally -- I'd just buy another one, lol.

i use a 16" husky 1/2" drive breaker bar. its awesome. ill take a pic of it when i get home. the swivel really comes in handy although mine has a nice rubber grip at the end. looks like they cost about $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/051655242314_3.jpg

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Ya, I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar as well... plus a set of metric impact wrench deep sockets... perfect for cranking just about anything off. Very nice! And a Craftsman torque wrench for getting it back on... good combo for lug nuts as well as for nut jobs... :)
"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

well, it's got ample power, but I only use it to break them. I use a torque wrench to tighten them - the most you need is 90ft/lbs and the impact gun can do alot more than that.

Good to know...But how come you don't use it to torque em down too?

because you'll overtorque them. bad for the studs and the wheel.

you also won't be able to get them off if you have a flat somewhere.

So everytime I get my tires rotated, those idiots are overtorquing them? They use their guns. Bing, bang boom and they are done. Never had any problems though. Although I have had warped rotors on my Honda, but I think that was from heat.

i dont see how these $10 tq wrenches can be close to acurate.

You are installing wheels, not assembling an engine. Precision isnt nearly as important as consistency. Its not such a big deal if you are within 10lbs on the lugs as long as they are around the same for all 5.

Cheap tq wrench for wheels, expensive one for everything else.

They should be using a torque stick (on the air ratchet) to make sure they aren't overtightening and then using a torque wrench for the final.

If they aren't, they're not doing things properly.

Wow! What a buncha idiots. I will make sure next time I get this done to make sure this is done properly.

Speaking as one of the gorillas who overtighten wheels, Torque sticks are only useful on impact guns, not air ratchets...

That being said, a mechanic worth their salt, using a gun that they are used to, can be as accurate with or without the use of a torque stick. The problem is, are you certain of the quality of your mechanic?

I once borrowed my dealer rep's 1/2" digital torque wrench and tested a car tightened by one of our long term techs, the nuts were all within 2lb/ft of each other around 95lb/ft.

before you flame, on cars worth the effort (no mid nineties tempos) I initially tighten with my gun (no torque stick), and then do a final once back on the ground with my 1/2" snap-on:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/43100/43087.JPG

On everything else, I will tighten to a generic 90 lb/ft with my gun and torque stick.

Archived