LegacyGT.com

Two cones, no spider - new shallow Pioneer sub

wcbjr

+1 on the interesting.

I've never been one to really say that anything revolutionary ijn the audio world has been that great, I mean the whole kicker L7 thing was very popular and all, but from what I've heard they never did very well in quality.

Give me a good ol aluminum cone rubber surround high excursion standard sealed box sub any day over anything new and flashy, I just want my stuff to sound good first, and be loud 2nd, if at all..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The imprints on the cone, I would ASSume, are for stability/rigidity. There is not much cone to that cone. The impressions could be to give some of solidity back.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

honestly, I've never been a fan of pioneer subs, nor do I think that they can make a sub thats really great, their decks are fine sure but, their subs are generally low dough market targetted products.

I dont remember the term.. but that sub almost looks like a uh.. what was it.. isobaric? where you put 2 subs together, 1 pushes, and 1 pulls? it seems like thats the way this sub is designed.. as 1 unit. It also looks like ther goal was to have it as small as possible, which they've certainly accomplished, for people with no backspace its probablly the only 12" sub they have a choice of.. other than pyramid :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Pioneer = idiots. I wanted to see the specs to see what kind of enclosure it would work with and you have to register to download the manual? They don't need my info for marketing -- just give me the damn PDF!

i would think the 2nd cone would offer less excursion than a progressive roll spider. The motor structure isn't really unusual, dynaudio and others have done this. Blaupunkt even had a speaker with a similar design. As far as isobarik configuration, JBL does something similar in the WGTi series, there are 2 seperate windings that push/pull the moving mass. they call it defferential drive.

There is no reason to think this speaker sounds bad or won't perform well. pioneer is the largest speaker manufacturer in the world.

Bill

I wouldn't go so far as to call them idiots - they're very successful at what they do. The undeniable reality is a speaker that looks cool on a showroom floor will outsell a less-interesting looking sub that sounds much better. Pioneer capitalizes on that.

So without assuming what it would sound like, I have to give them points for making what appears to be an enclosed magnet assembly, pretty unique. On the other hand the traditional spider is where a speaker derives its strength & power-handling ability. I'd be afraid of any driver that removed that in favor of a second cone & rubber surround.

There is no reason to think this speaker sounds bad or won't perform well. pioneer is the largest speaker manufacturer in the world.

Bill

Honda is the largest ICE builder in the world, but we all drive Subaru's.

I didn't say they were the best, but obviously there are lots of good products out there and some companies have tehir specialties (AWD). Pioneer has a lot of resources ddicated to speaker development. More than almost everyone else i bet. many turn their nose up at certain products because of the brand name or "reputation". Truth is many high end brands are built in the same building and i don't think Ms. Chin is doing a better job gluing a speaker together because it will sell for 4X more. It comes down to engineering and Pioneer is well staffed, that's all.

I kicked ass in IASCA 15 years ago with all Pioneer gear but haven't touched it in 10 years other than the P9 setup.

Bill

Honda is the largest ICE builder in the world, but we all drive Subaru's.

haha, +1 to that!

pioneers speciality is decks, especially their screen decks, they're one of the better mainstreamed brands.. although they cant compete with nakamichi mcintosh denon eclipse etc.

my rule of thumb for caraudio is.. if you can buy ANY of the brand at walmart.. avoid it :p

300rms 1200 max? thats an unusual range.. that 1200w max must be with a "1200w max power!!" amp too.. you know the kind that doesn't acheive anywhere near their rated power in operating range? theres no standard for that you know.. theres also no standard for rating THD or S/N ratios last I checked (long time ago tho) so when someone claims an unusualy great THD or S/N you gotta wonder if they dont tell you their test parameters.. what they did to acheive it.

Well, I used to have an Alpine PRO6015 - probably the best sounding car subwoofer ever made. It had a huge underhung motor assembly. Downsides were that it needed a 3.0cu/ft box, could only handle 250 watts and couldn't play super loud. It was the most accurate and musical sub ever produced, according to many back in the day. They appreciated in value over time.....rare today.

Lol does that thing move any air at all?

"actually I dont have any bones, I'm suppored by a series of fluid filled sacks that..." kiff from futurama.. couldn't help it.. what you said just fit that for some reason.

no it doesn't appear to does it? innovation.. sometimes it leads to greatness.. other times... it leads to this :p

haha, +1 to that!

pioneers speciality is decks, especially their screen decks, they're one of the better mainstreamed brands.. although they cant compete with nakamichi mcintosh denon eclipse etc.

Pioneers specialty is speakers, they don't manufacture the displays on their head units. Most head units use the same vendor for drives, amplifiers and tuners. As far as competing with nakamichi, i certainly hope not! In almost 20 years of car audio They were probably the worst company I ever dealt with. They left the 12V market 4 times leaving the customer high and dry, had terrible support and defective rates only topped by Soundstream. McIntosh car audio was Clarion with a new face, think Pioneer Premier.

my rule of thumb for caraudio is.. if you can buy ANY of the brand at walmart.. avoid it :p

The rule of car audio is you get what you pay for. In some cases a company raises the price for "exclusive" or hyped up product, but it normally isn't the low end product. Most advertised specs are useless and only ignorant consumers would give them any weight.

300rms 1200 max? thats an unusual range.. that 1200w max must be with a "1200w max power!!" amp too.. you know the kind that doesn't acheive anywhere near their rated power in operating range? theres no standard for that you know.. theres also no standard for rating THD or S/N ratios last I checked (long time ago tho) so when someone claims an unusualy great THD or S/N you gotta wonder if they dont tell you their test parameters.. what they did to acheive it.

Most woofers today have the same specs. Real RMS testing that is meaningless because it looks at thermal limits in an unrealistic environment and fixed loads. The other is burst power in the same environment. There are tons of woofers on the market with the typical 4X Max power BS.

I wouldn't expect massive SPL with one, but with their shallow depth and small box requirements you could easily do multiples. They're pretty cheap too.

I finally buckled and registered with all fake info, just so I could have the pdf.

Archived