LegacyGT.com

DIY Grille?

SuperhawkLGT

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
home depot gutter guard. five strips for $0.01:icon_bigg

That's the plastic stuff? When I was contemplating doing my own DYI grill, I looked at gutter guard. I saw both thin wire metal stuff and black plastic stuff. I ended up buying a section of aluminum screen door repair. It was a perfect mesh (or would have been after it was painted black), however, I it wasn't wide enough.

H2OSB

I used the metal one. I primed it, then I painted it with black bumper paint. In the morning I will take closeup and take it out and show pix of the back.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm worried about stone chips on mine- do you guys think using high temp engine paint would be more durable?

I'm worried about stone chips on mine- do you guys think using high temp engine paint would be more durable?

The bare aluminum looks pretty good on silver cars. Any other color and I would go with a black paint. I first painted my mesh with 500deg engine paint. I had it on there for about a week of some highway driving and didn't notice any chips. I decided I liked the unfinished silver look better though and redid it.

In the painted case, judging by the damage the entire front of my car takes, I'd expect to have to repaint (or replace entirely) the mesh once a year at most since I doubt any can spray paint will cure hard enough to deter rocks. My unfinished aluminum has oxidized (and just plain gotten dirty) over the 8 months its been on the car. I may replace it every so often as well. (Can't argue spending $1 each time it needs to be replaced).

Here is a close up of the grill. It shows the sides, the bottom, top and the down part show where I filled in with bundo and how close the paint (gunmetal metallic) matches stock paint. I only paint the inside of the grill. The lower grill is just cut to lenght and dropped in the sides hold it in place.

123011(1).JPG.e5720ab00c3bfca60d897c0eabfabb79.JPG

123020(1).JPG.b9b227b449e49a5131f9c8d3d889b4b2.JPG

123048(1).JPG.02e878be68a182aece62e3011417cc31.JPG

123555(1).thumb.JPG.c2494f12997c3115cab5e8ab43ddd1ea.JPG

124021(1).thumb.JPG.6baeb5c70f594ec56bbcf9db2daf51d1.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

For the mounting of the mesh I used tie wraps. On the bottom edge of the grill I used part of the tabs that were left over when I cut out the center to keep the grill in place. To mount the emblem I used epoxy to bind a bolt to the back. I tried to add 4 bolts but, I could never could get the emblem to line up. So I went with one bolt with double sided tape on both sides of the mesh. I used bundo to fill all the cut out. When you sand the middle of the grill use a sanding block it will make the job much easier. Any other questions or pix you need let me know.

122829(1).JPG.a3192471aaef21d217e9cba4eb5d1164.JPG

122911(1).JPG.38246e8ff6f1b2e45e3180997b8ca6c3.JPG

122940(1).JPG.d878c11c6de12f58e57d132526794d3d.JPG

122950(1).JPG.00b7fbfd0d3979c6e7e6e1b63800a5e8.JPG

123238(1).JPG.cb0377c7b199463a64b48c0605f3d8c1.JPG

For the mounting of the mesh I used tie wraps. On the bottom edge of the grill I used part of the tabs that were left over when I cut out the center to keep the grill in place. To mount the emblem I used epoxy to bind a bolt to the back. I tried to add 4 bolts but, I could never could get the emblem to line up. So I went with one bolt with double sided tape on both sides of the mesh. I used bundo to fill all the cut out. When you sand the middle of the grill use a sanding block it will make the job much easier. Any other questions or pix you need let me know.

looks real good man, real good, im not that good with bondo tho...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

• 8 months later...
Wanna trade emblem? I got a genuine Subaru LL emblem that I can trade for your stock Subaru one off the grille. Pardon the crappy camera phone picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/subaru/03-13-06_1402.jpg

The emblem is "L T" for Legacy Turbo.

It's on my 93 JDM Legacy GT also. The BG5 chassis as some of you may know it by. It's a twin turbo legacy.

Sorry to resurect the thread, but I'm looking at doing this grill mod to my 06LGT

• 3 weeks later...
I have a stock from emblem still if that is what you mean.

I am not using it now either

I realize the above message is 9 months old, but do you still have that badge, Mblock?

I have a grille that looks like "itsme's" grille. (an original Subastyle grille, on Subastyle's old car, no less. :D ) I have a red and chrome STI badge in it, and I am thinking I want to add the subie oval back in.

But it didn't come along when I bought the car from subastyle... A spare one that noone is using would be cool! I'd buy it. I've already asked the nearest subie dealer, but not gotten any response about it, or any of the other parts I want.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well two comments from me after just doing mine.

First off, I attached the mesh by using clear liquid nails. That way I wouldn't have to drill or find spots to attach it, I did this on a previous car and it held for years. Just another option since I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Second, for those of you that painted the chrome section, did you have any problems with the chrome beginning to "bubble" after you sanded it so the primer and paint would adhere better? Mine began to bubble and it seems to almost be impossible to get rid of/smoothed out.

• 2 months later...

Archived