LegacyGT.com

Spec B wheels & tires on a regular LGT

rfd425

Back on topic... I fully agree with rfd425... If you are changing wheels and/or tires to a different size than stock, be aware that your speedo (and odo) might read differently than actual... do your homework... :)
"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I'm running 225/45/18s, 5.5% difference, and I love them. I previously ran 225/40/18 and 215/40/18 (practically stock height) and hated the fact that every road imperfection felt like it was going to kill my rims. With these, I feel I've got better grip than 215s, as much comfort and rim cushion as stock, and they really fill out the wheel wells nicely without much of a drop.

A caveat is that my suspension is not stock, so this might not work for everyone. I've got Bilstein GT struts and Wangan springs (comparable to STi pinks in drop and rating).

Speedo difference does not bother me. I pretty much know when I'm speeding. :D

I still would like to know whether the change in ride height caused by the wheels warrants getting an alignment. The way I see it, the Spec B tires are a full inch larger than stock LGT tires, so ride height will be 1/2 inch higher. Should people making this change get an alignment?

Another question I have is regarding the Spec B suspension vs. the GT suspension. Since the Spec B suspension is designed for the larger wheels, are there any issues with putting the Spec B suspension on a car that is running the stock 17" LGT tires?

Another question I have is regarding the Spec B suspension vs. the GT suspension. Since the Spec B suspension is designed for the larger wheels, are there any issues with putting the Spec B suspension on a car that is running the stock 17" LGT tires?

no, there isn't.

Keefe

it's not going to matter that much.. I run oversized for a long time.. with 25.5" tires.. it's only to your benefit anyways as it lowers your odometer reading as you drive ;)

good news for me becuase i want to run 235/40 goodyear f1s on some 18x8 rims and their diameter is supposed to be 25.4 and yeah i wouldnt worry about it. i ran 36" x 14.5" tires on my 91 gmc and my speedo was about 6-7 mph off. i would not worry about one inch plus the benefits that xenon stated. also it create lower rpms cruising on the highway right? i know its minimal but still less wear and tear.

ps i completely did not realize this tread was 3 pages and i barely read any of it :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

my car reads about 3-4% high when comparing it to my GPS unit.

speedo will show 70mph, GPS will show 72-73mph. I'm not sure which one i trust more -- but a larger wheel would just offset that difference and mean my speedo is reading the same as the GPS.

Did you keep the stock Spec B tires on the rims? If so, your speedometer calibration will be off by about 4%. That's the whole reason I started this thread.

Yes, stock 215/45/18. I'll have the dealer change the settings via the Subaru Select Monitor on my next oil change (it is free so take it there, otherwise I do it on my own). But I have a dilema:

1. My all seasons are stockers so I will need 215/50 (or 55)/17 to compensate.

2. Once the RE050s are gone, I'll go 1 size wider to 225/45/18 ;)

Yes, stock 215/45/18. I'll have the dealer change the settings via the Subaru Select Monitor on my next oil change (it is free so take it there, otherwise I do it on my own). But I have a dilema:

1. My all seasons are stockers so I will need 215/50 (or 55)/17 to compensate.

2. Once the RE050s are gone, I'll go 1 size wider to 225/45/18 ;)

Wow, I didn't know they could change the setting at the dealer. If they will do it for free, even better!

The 225/45/18's will be even taller than the 215's, but not enough to significantly affect the speedometer. You could go about the same amount the other direction by getting 225/40/18's, which would be slightly better for acceleration than the 225/45/18's.

Wow, I didn't know they could change the setting at the dealer. If they will do it for free, even better!

I meant the oil change is free (every 7500 miles). Everytime they hookup the monitor they said it will cost $50.

Try this site to find out how 5 different sizes would affect your speedo

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

• 3 years later...

On my stock wheels on my 06 LGT Wagon, the speedo was about 3MPH too slow so it looks like they err on the side of caution. The dealer can recalibrate it but I didn't need to since I went to 18's. I'm still 1mph slow at cruising speeds... :spin:

(Verified by 2 GPS's and lidar :eek: )

Should people making this change get an alignment?

I certainly would and did. It makes sense that since you are changing how the original alignment was calculated (using original wheels), so you should have it re-adjusted. I mean, what's another $60-70 on a wheel/tire purchase to increase tire life?

My speedo is slower, but most of my driving is at city speeds, so the difference is negligible. I'm running 235/35/19 with a diameter of 25.5.

• 3 months later...
On my stock wheels on my 06 LGT Wagon, the speedo was about 3MPH too slow so it looks like they err on the side of caution. The dealer can recalibrate it but I didn't need to since I went to 18's. I'm still 1mph slow at cruising speeds... :spin:

(Verified by 2 GPS's and lidar :eek: )

And what did you get for wheels on your wagon pal???

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Tried a few sets (Prodrive and Enkei) and finally decided on the Prodrive PFF7's with 225/40/18's.

I am considering those too... 965 on sale here:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/static/open-box-prodrive-pff7-athracite-5x100-p-270.html

Or GT1's (18x7.5) from FredBeansparts for 925....

:-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I am considering those too... 965 on sale here:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/static/open-box-prodrive-pff7-athracite-5x100-p-270.html

Or GT1's (18x7.5) from FredBeansparts for 925....

:-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I emailed them awhile back on those and I think they sold. (Unless they have another damaged set) For 18x8 wheels the PFF7's cant be beat. (Perfect fit for the Legacy @ 51mm offset) For 18x7.5 the GT1 and Enkei RS+M's are awesome choices. Jeremy from Fred Beans is a class act also and he stands behind everything he sells. Can't go wrong there.

Archived