LegacyGT.com

HID Kits for the new Legacy?

SPR3472

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some fantastic kits avail here in Oz and I musre also in the States at reasonable prices but have not installed one in the GT as of yet although it looks pretty straight forward. Check out a few of the other threads here as a lot of guys have been talking about to HID or not to HID. Adam.

Stay tuned..... :D I am going through this at the moment with a company that imports HID kits to Australia (xenonoz). Just have an unscheduled holdup that is preventing me installing them at the moment, hope to have them installed in a week or so. From what I have seen so far, install is very straight-forward and shouldnt take more than an hour or 2. I trialled a kit in my last car (not a subie), and was very impressed with the results.

Thanks Trumpy, that was the Co that I was refering to but for the life of me, I couldnt think of their name. They are pretty expensive but I think the best at the game so to speak. I personally will be very interested to understand the install process, the result and the final cost. Hear from you soon. Adam.

Correct. Aftermarket HID kits are illegal in the USDM, meaning if your car didn't come with it, it shouldn't be on there. This is because of the crap and idiots who installed poorly-designed, junky systems onto cars that don't have setups that are designed for HID. Anybody with a 9007 reflector-based system, for example, who installed an aftermarket HID system (too many WRX drivers) got light splash and a setup that wasn't anywhere near as effective as it should and could have been, while also blinding older drivers, or motorists with night vision problems. It's easy to understand why aftermarket HID is a bad thing. Further, the Legacy GT, with its excellent projectors, doesn't need HID. A bulb upgrade, to say something like the Osram Silverstars (not Sylvania...Osram, from Europe) does the trick, and provides a big, white blanket of light. They are a noticeable improvement over the stock bulbs. Kevin

fan42025, was that on the xenonox.com.au site? I have been in contact with the owner of company for a while now (trialled my last car as a test vehicle for him, as he wanted some feedback) and as far as I am aware, whether or not the lights are legal for use in Oz is a grey area at best. There is no specific ADR (Australian Design Requirement for you US folk) that covers the fitting of Xenons lights aftermarket. The owner of Xenonoz is working very hard with the relevant authorities to make sure that the lights are legal, as obviously it is a very good marketing tool from his point of view to have a legal kit. I was so impressed when I trialled them in my last car, that I am buying a set for the Liberty. Adam, if you talk to Frank (from XenonOz), tell him Matt that used to own the XR6 Turbo sent you. I have been in contact with him for a couple of months now, from trialling a set in my old Ford, to getting some H7s set up in the subie. I should have mine cranking next week hopefully. BTW, I am not related to xenonoz in any way, so please dont take this as spam. Matt

Yes it does say that acutally on the XenonOz and as Matt pointed out, here in Oz the lights are trying to be passed as ADR compliant. Thanks for the advice too Matt, I will give him a call anyway to see if he is doing anything OS and also Nationally as I think there could be possibilities/advantages and cost savings for both me and XenonOz. Adam.

Hi Adam, I think Frank is the owner of the business. Not sure if he has employees or if he is a sole operator. He does seem to be quite involved in sponsoring motorsport here in Australia, and sponsors the Subaru Rally team in Australia. I actually came across Frank through the Ford XR6 Turbo forum I was a member of. He was wanting someone to help trial the lights in a Falcon, and I live quite close to the town where he is located. I was just interested to see what an aftermarket kit was like.

[quote name='Trumpy']Hi Adam, I actually came across Frank through the Ford XR6 Turbo forum I was a member of. He was wanting someone to help trial the lights in a Falcon, and I live quite close to the town where he is located. I was just interested to see what an aftermarket kit was like.[/quote] Please let us know if and when you actually see the difference. Although the standard lights on the new Sub ar good, I prefer the white lights I see on other new cars. Odd Sub didn't do it in the first place given they want to get into the prestigous market. Same with the red and amber LED lights seen on the new BMWs and Mercs. If Sub ever do it I'd be willing to have them retrofitted.

That will be great thanks Trumpy. Quick Question, what do you think also about them not being ADR, does that worry you especially as the police in NSW can be way harsh and how is XenonOz going with getting them approved? Best of luck with the install. Adam.

The 5000k kit is in and wish I had a better digi camera. The light output is crystal white and kind of looks like the hid on my previous car (04 TL). The installation is plug and play with only the removal of the battery and air filter box, the time consuming part of the project.

[quote name='Weasel']The 5000k kit is in and wish I had a better digi camera. The light output is crystal white and kind of looks like the hid on my previous car (04 TL). The installation is plug and play with only the removal of the battery and air filter box, the time consuming part of the project.[/quote] Nice pics. Personally, if I go the HID route, i'm probably gonna go 4100k but my friend should be giving me a pair of Osram All SeasonH3 bulbs sometime next week. Impressions (besides color)?

Archived