LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Info! New Pricing & Possible Recall coming!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='jedimaster']I wonder what the torque specs are for the axle nuts.[/quote] Using a beam type torque wrench, smoothly and slowly apply 174 ft-lb (2400 Kgcm, 235 Nm) of torque. NOTE: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or damage to the wheel bearing may result. If the axle nut move's when checking the torque, you must remove the axle nut and replace it with a new one.

[quote name='inthedeck']Secondly, good to know about the price increase...glad I placed the order earlier...as this won't affect people that have placed their orders earlier? At least I hope that it doesn't. i.[/quote] When I ordered my GT last weekend, the dealer told me that if I wanted to order the car (as opposed to buying one that already was on the ground), he would have to charge me the extra $100, since every car that will be reaching the lot starting with his first delivery in September will include the increase. I agreed, and the dealer worked the extra $100 into the sales contract. Whether the price increase impacts orders placed before the price increase was announced but delivered after September probably depends on what it says in the fine print of your particular sales contract.

[quote name='Opie'][quote name='jedimaster']I wonder what the torque specs are for the axle nuts.[/quote] Using a beam type torque wrench, smoothly and slowly apply 174 ft-lb (2400 Kgcm, 235 Nm) of torque. NOTE: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or damage to the wheel bearing may result. If the axle nut move's when checking the torque, you must remove the axle nut and replace it with a new one.[/quote] sounds like you have a service manual :)

The only "negative" about the increase is that they are stepping over the mental boundaries in price like the GT sedan going from 25,995 to 26,095. But then once you have advertising fees and delivery fees, it's well above anyway. When you get into these pricing issues, I think a question that never gets answered is how much you feel like is fair for a dealer to make on each car. This has to cover the building, staff, upkeep, bills, detail/pdi, sales commission, and profit. How much should a sales person make on each car? This amount will help determine just how pushy he/she needs to be and how much or little time to spend with you while trying to make your decision.

[quote name='PPower']The only "negative" about the increase is that they are stepping over the mental boundaries in price like the GT sedan going from 25,995 to 26,095. But then once you have advertising fees and delivery fees, it's well above anyway. When you get into these pricing issues, I think a question that never gets answered is how much you feel like is fair for a dealer to make on each car. This has to cover the building, staff, upkeep, bills, detail/pdi, sales commission, and profit. How much should a sales person make on each car? This amount will help determine just how pushy he/she needs to be and how much or little time to spend with you while trying to make your decision.[/quote] Preston is right, which makes you wonder, now that they have plenty of room under the next psychological barrier of $27,000 (the next round number) what's going to be added to the car, and what that will do to the price? Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
That's a good point. People do see the car as too expensive like that. It's like when stores advertise something for 3.99 and people think it's a bargain because it's less than 4 bucks.

[quote name='Opie'][quote name='jedimaster']I wonder what the torque specs are for the axle nuts.[/quote] Using a beam type torque wrench, smoothly and slowly apply 174 ft-lb (2400 Kgcm, 235 Nm) of torque. NOTE: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or damage to the wheel bearing may result. If the axle nut move's when checking the torque, you must remove the axle nut and replace it with a new one.[/quote] :o 174 ft-lb is A BUNCH of torque.......

That's the kind of torque Takeo Fukui (Honda CEO) dreams about at night :lol: [quote name='mccorry'][quote name='Opie'][quote name='jedimaster']I wonder what the torque specs are for the axle nuts.[/quote] Using a beam type torque wrench, smoothly and slowly apply 174 ft-lb (2400 Kgcm, 235 Nm) of torque. NOTE: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or damage to the wheel bearing may result. If the axle nut move's when checking the torque, you must remove the axle nut and replace it with a new one.[/quote] :o 174 ft-lb is A BUNCH of torque.......[/quote]

[quote name='mccorry'][quote name='Opie'][quote name='jedimaster']I wonder what the torque specs are for the axle nuts.[/quote] Using a beam type torque wrench, smoothly and slowly apply 174 ft-lb (2400 Kgcm, 235 Nm) of torque. NOTE: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN or damage to the wheel bearing may result. If the axle nut move's when checking the torque, you must remove the axle nut and replace it with a new one.[/quote] :o 174 ft-lb is A BUNCH of torque.......[/quote] Only 87 lbs of force with a 24" torque wrench :)

[quote name='moriarty']Improperly torqued axles nuts wouldn't cause any shuttering unles they were on the flange end. The axle nut goes onto the splined end of the axle. The spline is what actually grips to provide drive, so if there was shuttering in that area, it would be from a worn spline or bad CV joint. I kind of doubt given the suspension design that a loose axle nut would even allow the axles to become dislodged as long as the car never left the ground. It would, however contribute to premature wear of the CVs and wheel bearings. - Dan[/quote] Would such a problem contribute to a feeling that the steering is loose driving straight at reasonable speed? Would it also make the steering wheel vibrate a little when breaking?

Archived