LegacyGT.com

So yeah, always remember to unhook the + battery terminal

wcbjr

So I was tapping the radio's 12V constant and ignition sources for the CleanSweep last night and forgot to unhook the + battery terminal. Just so happens that I touch the 12V constant (yellow wire) to the radio's chassis. Sparks flew, let me tell ya. But it didn't long. As soon as that stopped the interior lights all went out, even the trunk light. Alarm didn't work either, pertty much nothing.

I tested and tested until I came to a fuse that I thought was a spare because it said "backup". What in the world is that fuse supposed to mean? Why didn't I blow the audio fuse?

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I blew the backup fuse this weekend...

I was doing the map light mod and I touched the + and - terminals together when I was swapping their positions in the connector.

Anyone know what the "backup" 20A fuse is?

In my experience, the "backup" many times is labled as such because it maintains constant power to things such as the radio which need to keep settings or have "backup" power when its switch power source turns off. I have also seen cases where it stands for the reverse lights, but it sounds like in this case it was obviously the constant feed to the radio and also the BIU (contains the alarm/keyless).

I've been doin the whole automotive electronics for years and consider myself a professional in that sense, I almost never unhook the battery but instead only be carefull when I'm working with any wire. Every stock wire which is hot runs into a fuse at some point and that is more or less the reason fuses exist after all. The only time u should really worry is when your working on wires going into a module of some sort as you could short something to power or ground that could damage a component inside the module.

Good times.

In my experience, the "backup" many times is labled as such because it maintains constant power to things such as the radio which need to keep settings or have "backup" power when its switch power source turns off. I have also seen cases where it stands for the reverse lights, but it sounds like in this case it was obviously the constant feed to the radio and also the BIU (contains the alarm/keyless).

That would make sense seeing as how the interior lights went out along with the trunk light, all of which are usable when the key is not in the ignition.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

• 7 years later...
I was replacing the combo intake/exhaust manifold gasket on my 1972 Volvo 142 (POS doesn't even BEGIN to describe it) when I dropped a socket wrench and it lodged between the + terminal on the alternator and the chassis. Unfortunately the wire was part of the harness that ran along the top of the radiator. Harness caught on fire, battery caught on fire, I finally chopped the + cable in two with something, can't remember what. $400, which was a lot of money in the 70's, to fix it. I STILL don't disconnect the + terminal because I figure I've had my Black Swan event for one lifetime:)

Archived