LegacyGT.com

Professional caliper painting

thebadguy

OK, I just checked mine, and I have absolutely no rust. They actually appear to be galvanised, and if you have ever cleaned your calipers with a wire brush and scratched the coating, this will explain the rust I see on your calipers Keefe.

Here's pics of mine taken this morning, I don't know the actual explanation, just that this is my 3rd Subaru, and I have never seen rusty calipers.

117_1726.thumb.JPG.7bdb0739e41af83189c401b43f454150.JPG

117_1727.thumb.JPG.9370d993c77e677de742941dfce3d2fa.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I just checked mine, and I have absolutely no rust. They actually appear to be galvanised, and if you have ever cleaned your calipers with a wire brush and scratched the coating, this will explain the rust I see on your calipers Keefe.

Here's pics of mine taken this morning, I don't know the actual explanation, just that this is my 3rd Subaru, and I have never seen rusty calipers.

as I said, things can be oxidized ;) Just like stainless steel ;)

Keefe

I am considering sending mine to Crucial to be coated in black with a thermal emissive coating. Love the way the painted black looks in the pix.

Any percentage in thermally-coating them?

I dont think that's neccessary.. you might as well buy bigger 4-piston calipers :p

Keefe

They must not use that much salt around your area then.

I just happened to take a quick look at mine. The fronts aren't too bad, but the back calipers are pretty much covered completely. On only the second winter so far. New England is notorious for LOTS of salt during the winter.

They must not use that much salt around your area then.

I just happened to take a quick look at mine. The fronts aren't too bad, but the back calipers are pretty much covered completely. On only the second winter so far. New England is notorious for LOTS of salt during the winter.

In winter Canada = salt

Like I said, the calipers are hot dipped galvanised, if the coating gets damaged then you will get rust.

• 2 weeks later...
Which looks better:

This-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/158-5892_IMG.jpg

Or this-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/158-5893_IMG.jpg

You can't tell me they don't look good painted black considering how crappy they look not painted at all. Ricey would be painting them yellow or green or something like that. Silver and black (IMO) are the only truely safe colors and red is usually safe, although I don't know why you would want to do anything to stock calipers other than make them blend in and disappear. They aren't so great that I really want to draw attention to them. I like the subtle look of black.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/wheel.gif

This looks great, and is exactly what I am going to do. I found a kit on Tirerack that is brush on, epoxy paint,high gloss. Is this what you used OC or did you spray yours?

I think it would look good if you do black calipers, and then created a stencil that said Subaru and used the same Epoxy paint and painted that on in white, or even Silver letters would look good. Gotta be perfect though.

Nice work as usual OC.

Thanks. I just used used high temp engine spray paint. If you spray the paint into a jar then you can brush it on. That's what I did. You don't want to poof can your calipers while they are still on the car unless you enjoy removing overspray from your car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks. I just used used high temp engine spray paint. If you spray the paint into a jar then you can brush it on. That's what I did. You don't want to poof can your calipers while they are still on the car unless you enjoy removing overspray from your car.

Exactly! Once I found out this stuff was brush I decided I am doing it right away. For some reason I thought this was a big project where I had to remove the calipers.

I will take pics when I am done. I might try and work on a Subaru stencil too.

i painted my calipers blue last summer. duplicolor makes a nice caliper kit that comes with a hardener. i used the high heat enamel but sprayed it into a cup and brushed about 3 coats on. still looks good, even through the winter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/Calipers%20April%2005/calipers017copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/Calipers%20April%2005/calipers022copy.jpg

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Finally had some time to take (and post) some pics of the DIY job I did a week or two ago...

The blue area/line that you see in the shot with just the caliper is just painter's masking tape.

If you do paint it yourself I highly suggest getting spare brushes. The one that comes with the Duplicolor kit is extremely crappy and will start breaking up after the first caliper. It will not last through all 4 calipers with multiple coats IMO.

I picked a good time to paint my calipers because I also took the time to rotate my tires while I was at it :lol:

redcal_job.jpg.62555ca459aa8caa402bbc46c1286019.jpg

redcal_front.jpg.f24e36d97f7d44cfd0b0f2bdaef9ecf6.jpg

redcal_rear.jpg.f6e49a504262ba3af1605c6193ca43d0.jpg

redcal_done.jpg.edb8d06727be33dfb99dcea7de4709c3.jpg

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

teh bling!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/30238.JPG

Hey how did you get the lettering on there? Looks great. I want to do the same thing but black with white or silver lettering.

Lemme know if that is a stencil or a sticker.

Thanks in advance!

For those of you that are considering the G2 system, currently Hubcapsplus.com/Wheelskin.com has their G2 Brake Caliper Epoxy kits on sale for $33.99, then use "G2" for the coupon code at checkout and save an additional $5, with free shipping. I just got a black kit shipped for $28.99 total.

Here's the link:

http://wheelskin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BRAKE+CALIPER+PAINT

For those of you that are considering the G2 system, currently Hubcapsplus.com/Wheelskin.com has their G2 Brake Caliper Epoxy kits on sale for $33.99, then use "G2" for the coupon code at checkout and save an additional $5, with free shipping. I just got a black kit shipped for $28.99 total.

Here's the link:

http://wheelskin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BRAKE+CALIPER+PAINT

Nice work kid!

I just placed my order. Saved $10! I will take it, thats lunch.

Thanks for buying me lunch Blaze!

• 1 month later...
I painted my calipers today between yesterday and today. I took it out for a drive and heard a funny noise when i pull the e-brake. If the car is moving and i pull the e-brake it sound like a loud smacking sound. I think it may be the right rear.:(

How is that different from the sound you heard when you were pulling emergency bat turns before? Here's a thought.... don't put the ebrake on while you are driving. It really isn't meant to be used that way.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived