LegacyGT.com

GT Manual hard to go to 1st in cold.

smoss

I am sure this is normal, but just checking... I have a GT manual. When it is cold (less than 20 degrees) I find I have to come to a COMPLETE stop before the car will go into first gear. After it warms up, I can be going around 5 miles and hour and no probs engaging 1st. Actually, if it's warm I put gentle pressure on the gear shift and it engages itself before I come to a complete stop. It WON'T do engage in the cold unless you are STOPPED. Does everyone else have this??? I am thinking it is cold trans fluid.

It's a pain because I live in downtown Burlington and I have several 4 way stop signs as soon as I leave my house. People tend to hate waiting for me to come to a complete stop and I "lose my turn" so to speak :lol: Not cool for such an awesome car, but I'll live with it.:icon_lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
Normal. Just let it warm up a bit and you'll see the difference. I came form a WRX where it was like pulling teeth trying to get the car into first on a 90 degree day, so this car is like butter to me.

Yup when you let the engine warm up the tranny warms up as well. I have the same issue as you if the car is cold. I let it run in my driveway for 5-7 minutes before starting my drive and it's WORLDS better. Try it out.

I am sure this is normal, but just checking... I have a GT manual. When it is cold (less than 20 degrees) I find I have to come to a COMPLETE stop before the car will go into first gear. After it warms up, I can be going around 5 miles and hour and no probs engaging 1st. Actually, if it's warm I put gentle pressure on the gear shift and it engages itself before I come to a complete stop. It WON'T do engage in the cold unless you are STOPPED. Does everyone else have this??? I am thinking it is cold trans fluid.

It's a pain because I live in downtown Burlington and I have several 4 way stop signs as soon as I leave my house. People tend to hate waiting for me to come to a complete stop and I "lose my turn" so to speak :lol: Not cool for such an awesome car, but I'll live with it.:icon_lol:

I owned two BMW manuals, one Porsche manual, one Saturn manual and one Mitsubishi manual. The stiffness you see in the morning is par for the course.

I refer to it as "morning stiffness".

Ok it is along the same line so I thought I'd ask here. I just bought a legacy last week and I'm amazed at how much I love the car. I came from owning three 5.0 V8 engines in a row. Two mustangs and a Ford Explorer. The mustangs were both 5 speeds and I couldn't come close to a stop without pusing in the clutch or the thing would stall.

Like I said I've had the car a week and I haven't stalled it once. After not driving a 5 speed for 2 years I'm excited. :)

Anyway, I can pretty much come to a complete stop with the car IN GEAR and it doesn't stall. This is extremely helpfull for pulling up to an intersection or making a right hand turn where I don't want to put the clutch in and bring it back out.

Is this normal? Do other people experience this while they drive. I don't think there's anythign wrong with it just thought I'd check to see if anyone else has noticed that.

On mine, I have a really hard time getting it into reverse alot of the time. This really is frustrating when you are trying to do a quick turn around, or exit a parking spot. Anyone else have this issue?

Yep, you'll see this is very common. One trick for quick reverse (say to back into a parking spot) is to leave the gearshift in a forward gear when coming to a stop (obviously with clutch in)--the transmission shafts and gears stay sync'ed and reverse goes in no prob. If you pop it into neutral, all bets are off. So far, this has worked for me.

Archived