LegacyGT.com

KW Variant 2 coilovers

SWortham

Did a search and couldn't find any mention of these. KW recently released their Variant 2 coilovers for the new Legacy...

http://82.165.32.80/kwnews/pictures/news_208/400_subaru_legacy_bl-bp_08.jpg

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/40_News/10_KW_News/20_Product_News/index.php?news_detail_lang=2&id=216

The place I know of where you can buy them would be www.group5motorsport.com

Now, I have KW Variant 3 coilovers installed on my Hyundai Elantra, and I'm not quite satisfied with them yet since I had some issues -- some of which have to do with the fact that the ones I bought are technically designed for the Tiburon. But I'm going to reserve judgment until I figure it all out.

But I will say a few things about them.

The good:

1) Their coilovers have relatively low spring rates and good high speed damping. So they're great for someone who wants to keep a plush ride for the street even with an extreme drop.

2) They do not come with pillowball mounts so reusing the stock mounts should keep NVH low (and it keeps the cost down if you don't want pillowball mounts anyway).

3) The stainless steel construction is very nice. There's essentially nothing that can rust on the entire unit and they can survive harsh winter conditions just fine. Just clean them before you try to adjust the ride height, and you'll be able to continue to do so for much longer than the units out there with galvanized steel threaded shock bodies.

The bad:

1) There is no separate adjustment for preload. The ride height you set it for affects preload. This means that there's a sweet spot for the ride height. As I have experienced, if you set them too high the preload will be too high for the damping and the ride becomes bouncy. So if that matters to you, companies like Zeal and Cusco offer coilovers with independent preload adjustments.

The Variant 3 has independent compression & rebound settings. They also have a tender spring / main spring setup. But they do not have an independent adjustment for preload.

And yeah, it looks like the Variant 2 is the only option available for the Legacy.

Like you told me, KW has had some success in racing in Europe. And this world record Nurburgring video is worth checking out...

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/40_News/30_Motor_Sport_News/index.php?from=event&news_detail_lang=2&id=121

I've heard very good things about KW's coilovers for Subarus. I almost got some for my WRX but at the time I wasn't happy with the knowledge or responses I was getting from the North America distributor. Considering the fact that they're a German company I was very impressed with the answers I got when talking directly to KW. It is interesting the they're offering these in the Variant 2s while all previous KW setups for subarus have been Variant 1s or Variant 3s.

I almost got some for my WRX but at the time I wasn't happy with the knowledge or responses I was getting from the North America distributor. Considering the fact that they're a German company I was very impressed with the answers I got when talking directly to KW.

I'm facing the same problem. Do you still have the contact info for who were talking to? Could you PM it to me?

The responses I'm getting are a little too slow and all by email so far.

I have to say, I've got 2 friends with the V3's on their STi's and I am quite impressed with the KW quality. I'm just curious what kind of performance difference there are between the V2 and V3. V2 looks to be much cheaper, so I have to assume there are sacrifices in design (but hopefully not quality).

You know what impressed me the most was the heft of these things (these are the Variant 3's)...

http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/kw/PICT0006_800px.jpg

The brackets and the welds are extremely thick and seemingly very strong while still being around 6 pounds lighter per corner than my OEM springs & struts. I had the pleasure of grinding the brackets myself, and that's some tough metal.

BTW, here's the install notes...

http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/kw/

I have to say, I've got 2 friends with the V3's on their STi's and I am quite impressed with the KW quality. I'm just curious what kind of performance difference there are between the V2 and V3. V2 looks to be much cheaper, so I have to assume there are sacrifices in design (but hopefully not quality).

Well, just going from seperate compression and rebound adjusters to a single adjuster probably saves a good deal of money. Unfortunately I don't know if there any other differences.

I love the KWV3's on my STi. It makes for a great track setup with surprisingly pleasant street results. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, just thought I'd throw this out there. KW recommended a 60K mile service schedule for my V3's. I assume it would be the same for the V2's but it'd be best to ask. And the coilovers can be serviced at KW North America located in California.

They are similar to the Cusco's in that they have stainless housings, and there's not much that can rust or corrode. But the Cusco Zero 2's have pillowball mounts, and an independent adjustment for preload. So feature-wise the Cusco's have the advantage and you pay for that.

The only problem is that the Cusco's cannot be rebuilt in the U.S. as far as I know, whereas the KW's can. And the KW's have a surprisingly long service schedule. Of course, it remains to be seen how well they perform for me after 60K miles.

KW has confirmed with us that they do fit. We addressed this concern with them, and they insured us a correct fitment.

---------------------

Myles Williams

www.GTWORX.com

Cobb - SwiftWhiteline - Cusco - Alpinestars - Prodrive

Ohlins - Moton - KW - Bilstein - STi - Pagid - Ferodo

GTWORX

(division of Racecomp)

9123 Old Annapolis Rd

Columbia, MD 21045

410-730-7223 Phone

410-707-0108 Mobile

410-730-5503 Fax

FWIW: I have V2 on my 02 Si, they do have th ehelper spring all around. They do squeeek when going over speedbumps, etc. They are very smooth and responsive. But like most coil-overs they are overkill for street aplications.

I would recomend them to anyone looking for a coil-over!

Archived