LegacyGT.com

KW Variant 2 coilovers

SWortham

FWIW: I have V2 on my 02 Si, they do have th ehelper spring all around. They do squeeek when going over speedbumps, etc. They are very smooth and responsive. But like most coil-overs they are overkill for street aplications.

I would recomend them to anyone looking for a coil-over!

You would recommend...but they squeek?

How loud is it? Does it make the car sound like a tired worn out beater?

You would recommend...but they squeek?

How loud is it? Does it make the car sound like a tired worn out beater?

Kinda like a bed spring squeek. Kinda squishy squeek. Not loud at all, but you can hear the valves compress and de-compress.

Folks, you have to realize, these are a high performance, highley engineered coil-over setup. Yes they are VERY smooth! They handle beautifully. I have had them on my 2002 civic si for almost 3 years. They have been flawless. I have not autocrossed the car, its my daily driver that I love to drive very spiritley (<-is that a word??). The car handles like it on rails. I do hit the bump stops but that only due to my car being fairley low. Any bumps, railroad tracks you have to take it easy.

Also they are rebound adjustable, not compression ( I believe) they are the oposite of what iss common, or at least my aplication is.

Good luck on your dissision. :)

these seem very tempting...

i am coming from Audi S4 world where i had H&R Street Coilovers on a B5 Avant, and Stasis TrackSport Coilovers on a B5 Sedan. both cars felt very "solid" and "well planted" in all conditions. i am hoping to replicate that feeling with my LGT Wagon. originally i had been leaning toward something like STi Pink Springs on the stock struts, but more and more i find myself leaning towards some coilovers.

the Cusco Zero-2s look nice, but some of the comments here about rebuilding the KWs in the US sound good. Anyone care to add any more comments on the KWs? btw, i do occasionally track my cars and might be interested in trying an AutoX with the my LGT.

I have to say, I've got 2 friends with the V3's on their STi's and I am quite impressed with the KW quality. I'm just curious what kind of performance difference there are between the V2 and V3. V2 looks to be much cheaper, so I have to assume there are sacrifices in design (but hopefully not quality).

The main difference is that the V3's is a true 2 way damper, with seperate adjustments for bump and rebound. V2 only rebound is adjustable. V3 may be overkill for some...and hence the higher cost.

Most people say these are some of the highest quality feeling and looking coilovers they've seen...every time someone takes these out of the box their first reaction is "whoa..." Then there's silence in the room as everyone just stares...:lol:

^ I didn't expect the V2's to have tender springs. Hmm, well there you have it.

Lately I've been tuning my KW V3 coilovers on my Elantra. Since they're designed for the Tiburon, the preload is too high in the rear and kinda bouncy. That means I either have to lower the rear of the car and create an uneven stance, or I have to compensate with damping. I've done a little bit of both. It's getting better, but I'm wishing they had a separate adjustment for preload.

For those of you with much audio equipment in the trunk, you may be better off with coilovers with separate adjustments for preload such as Cusco or Zeal. The reason is the same, the rear end of your car will sag with heavy equipment in the trunk. So if you raise the rear-end to compensate you'll raise preload and therefore create a bouncy ride.

Otherwise, you should be able to tune these to be a well-damped and even drop ride right away with KW's recommended settings.

The bad:

1) There is no separate adjustment for preload. The ride height you set it for affects preload. This means that there's a sweet spot for the ride height. As I have experienced, if you set them too high the preload will be too high for the damping and the ride becomes bouncy. So if that matters to you, companies like Zeal and Cusco offer coilovers with independent preload adjustments.

So is it fair to say these aren't the correct choice for someone who wants to maintain a stock like ride height? I only want to lower it about 10mm.

Also, in Miles post he indicates the spring rated are 400/400, which i assume means they are the same front and rear. Since the stock rates are higher in the back, won't that throw off the car's balance quite a bit from stock?

So is it fair to say these aren't the correct choice for someone who wants to maintain a stock like ride height? I only want to lower it about 10mm.

Yes, I would not attempt a mild (10mm) drop with these coilovers.

Also, in Miles post he indicates the spring rated are 400/400, which i assume means they are the same front and rear. Since the stock rates are higher in the back, won't that throw off the car's balance quite a bit from stock?

I'm sure it will. But knowing KW, it'll probably be a change for the better.

Archived