LegacyGT.com

Paint Issues on legacy GT

latintrpt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I have never seen that before ever.

Looks like the bar has some sort of protector over it but for it to be peeling like that or missing chunks, you would have noticed that a while ago. I would certainly be off to the dealer to ask what is going on. Personally I do not know if the JDM front or rear bar has the protector on it or not but I would say more than likely not. Let us know how you go at the dealership though.

All the best.

Ada///M.

Well the thing is that i bought this car in October of 2005. This is when they wanted to get rid of the 05's to bring the 06's. So yeah i'm not sure what is going on with the paint but yeah i'm going to take it to the dealer.

Looks like the clearcoat is peeling from the basecoat. I wonder if your car was damaged in transport and repainted incorrectly?

John

That is terrible and definitely not normal. Get that in for warranty repair ASAP. There is no way you caused that damage yourself. That paint job definitely doesn't look OEM. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay crappier than the OEM subie paint (which is pretty crappy to begin with).

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

If it is brand new then it probably wasn't wrecked or anything, but that doesn't mean the dealership didn't hit it with something else and require the bumper be repainted. If it was a used car then I would be worried, but I'll bet this is just a case of a dealership repair job that they didn't tell you about. That is fraud in most states, by the way.

OCDETAILS BLOG

So what should i do OCdetails? Should i first take it to my autoshop that i go to and ask them what they think? Or should i just take it to the dealer and see what they say? In the case of fraud, i'm thinking about pursuing it because this a brand new car that I bought and i want to make sure that i get a good car with a good paint job.

Take plenty of pictures.....I f it were me I would take it to a very good paint & body shop first for them to look at & give me an estimate.

Then take it to your dealer & have them fix it under warranty;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That's a horrible paintjob, most likely not OEM. I don't see how that would pass QC.

And you'd be suprised how many new cars end up at your local body shops. Usually the damage occurs during transit, but often removing the cars from the carrier or moving them around, or even a sales man taking a car out for a "demo" and wrecking it.

I have a red LGT as well that I purchased in St Louis and drove back to Alabama... by the time I got home, I had several areas on the front bumper that flaked away. Now every time the car gets washed (touchless of course) there are new areas that come up black. Called Subaru, told me to get it checked out but that means driving 2.5 hours to nearest dealer. I am clearing right now and PCSing to TX and will get it checked out there and will keep everyone posted as to what happens.

I would be less suspicious of a car painted in Japan than I would of one in the US. My guess is that most of the car owners who have been complaining about shitty paint are owners with cars painted in America. Our VOC standards make it so the paint sucks. Cars painted in Japan or across the pond are much better quality. That's a fact.

OCDETAILS BLOG

My 05 Satin White Pearl GT is exhibiting very poor paint quality on the front bumper. I haven't seen the large flakes of clear coat coming off that some members have reported, but I have many small flakes (pehaps 100!) of missing clear coat. I'm definitely seeing the dealer on this. The car is not my daily driver and has only 6000 miles!

I felt the bumper paint quality on all of my recent Subarus (00 2.5RS, 02 WRX, 04 STi) has not been great but this Legacy is by far the worst.

Here in Colorado they use a lot of sand and gravel on the roads so I expect some damage but something is not right with this paint.:icon_mad:

My car is doing the same thing. I took it to the local dealer and thye said it looks like a repaint and to take it back to the dealer that I bought it from. That's 2hrs away. I bought the car a month ago. So I think I will have to make that drive. Has anyone got the dealer to fix it?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Well, I took my car to the dealer today and i showed the service manager. He said that it is the paint that is coming off and not the clear coat. He wasn't able to tell me if the car was damaged in freight or anything like that because the general manger was not in. He is going to let me know what is going on monday. I asked him if the car was damaged in freight or something like that if they are supposed to disclose this information to the buyer. He said that they do not have to disclose that info if the damage is under 10% of the body.

Well after i took the car in on saturday the service manager was going to get back to me because he needed to speak to general manger to see if there was any record of the car being repainted. Well he never called me on monday so i had to call him. He said that the general manager was not in. He said he was going to call me at 10 am the next day to let me know what was going on. He didn't call at 10 so i called him like at 1 pm and i left a VM and he never called back. So i called again like around 4 and i had to speak to a service rep and he told me that the car would be taken care of. But i wanted to find out what was the deal with my car and to see if there was any record of the car being repainted or what not.

So i asked if the service manager was there and he said yeah but it didn't seem like he didn't want to talk to me. The service manger was telling the service rep to tell me things and to bring in the car on tuesday of next week so that it could be repainted. But i wanted more answers and the service rep was like that's all the info i have. I was kind of suspicious as what was going on. So yeah i got no answer about what was really wrong with the car from the service manager. They wouldn't even let me have a loaner the day the car is going in. I'm really upset right now at all of this. The service rep said that "we don't have a loaner but we would be happy to take care of the painting the front bumper." I was like what!? So yeah guys sorry this is so long but i'm very unhappy.

Archived