LegacyGT.com

Best washer fluid?

How do I get horsepower gains from cheap fluid?

Seriously, I have noticed differences in fluids. Sometimes they are watery and don't evaporate. Sometimes they smear without removing bugs. Sometimes they work just fine ... But I haven't paid a lot of attention to the brands I'm using until it's too late.

One time I bought an expensive bottle of pink fluid. It was the worst fluid ever ... it coagulated into a pink, sticky, rubbery mess. Fortunately it floated rather than getting sucked into the pump. Never again!

Soap!!! are you crazy!!!

That's gonna leave a smudgy mess and all sorts of streaks and crap when it dries onto your paint.

I hate the rain-x stuff. Streaks with the wipers on.

Anything that has an alcohol content to it is good. if you wann go cheapo, buy rubbing alcohol in bulk and mix it with water to make your own fluid. I think most normal blue stuff is 10% alcohol.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 4 weeks later...
I've found that WalMart's winter stuff (sort of a pale lime green color) is the best winter fluid I've used. As has been here before, I've had good luck adding a drop or two of liquid dishwashing detergent to the gallon of washer fluid as a sort of booster.

I buy the more expensive name brand fluid such as Prestone. Also consider switching to silicone wiper blades. I bought a set of "Silblades" at Amazon.com for about $12 each. You will need one 18" blade and one 24" blade. I believe they have a 5 year guarantee.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I buy the more expensive name brand fluid such as Prestone. Also consider switching to silicone wiper blades. I bought a set of "Silblades" at Amazon.com for about $12 each. You will need on 18" blade and one 24" blade. I believe they have a 5 year gaurantee.

I didn't know they had different sizes on the front-if they're that good, I'd like one for my rear wiper-I'm on my 2nd Subaru one in a year and a half and it's shredding.

I hate the rain-x stuff. Streaks with the wipers on.

Not in my experience, however I start with a rainXed winshield first, the rain X fluid keeps the rainX from wiping off after a couple of months. Does not freeze, and is pretty inexpensive at Walmart...

I buy the more expensive name brand fluid such as Prestone. Also consider switching to silicone wiper blades. I bought a set of "Silblades" at Amazon.com for about $12 each. You will need one 18" blade and one 24" blade. I believe they have a 5 year guarantee.

I don't care what the wiper blade is made out of.....it's not gonna last more than a year. sure it's not a 5 month guarantee?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The rain-x stuff is total CRAP if you live someplace you ahve to use washer fluid a lot. Starts out good, but it builds up a nasty film if you have to use it a lot.

I'm currently experimenting with mixing the cheap blue stuff with rain-x, and it's improving the issue a bit giving me actually clean windshields plus the rain-x beading. ButI need to give it about another week to judge.

My current vote is treat the windshield with rain-x proper, and use the cheap blue stuff.

I don't care what the wiper blade is made out of.....it's not gonna last more than a year. sure it's not a 5 month guarantee?
I disagree Mr. Wiener.

Premium SilBlade® Silicone Wiper Blade. Guaranteed 5 Years. Chose from 9 Blade Colors. Patented U.S. Technology. Outperforms all other blades by years not months!

• SilBlade® has been formulated with a premium silicone elastomer that offers extreme high strength and resilience.

• SilBlade® exceeds all Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) for wipe quality, durability and ozone and chemical resistance.

• SilBlade® wipers patented formulation and process prevents degradation from prolonged exposure to sunlight, ozone, washer fluid and road residue. Its the combination of ozone and sunlight that "kills" conventional wiper blades.

• SilBlade® remains flexible and maintains a superior wipe in extreme temperatures from Arctic Cold to Desert Heat!.

• SilBlade® wipers are available in lengths from 12" to 28" and come complete with metal frames, stainless steel rails and universal adapters for easy installation on most cars and trucks.

• SilBlade® wipers are unconditionally guaranteed for 5 years. Conventional wipers wear out in 6 months to 1 year. In fact, conventional wiper manufacturers recommend changing wiper blades every 6 months because of degradation to the rubber.

I use the rain-x fluid all the time. I haven't had a problem with build-up, but there are probably other fluids that would give you a cleaner wipe. The thing I like about the rain-x is it makes it much easier to remove frost and ice from the windows. We tend to get a lot of heavy frosts in the fall and spring on days it gets above freezing during the day but drops below at night. You either have to spend 5 minutes hacking away with a scraper or wait for the heater to loosen things up. With rain-x, a half-hearted swipe and the frost flies off likes needles off a 3 month old Christmas tree. Sometimes I don't even need to do the windshield, just let the wipers take it off.

I use the rain-x fluid all the time. I haven't had a problem with build-up, but there are probably other fluids that would give you a cleaner wipe. The thing I like about the rain-x is it makes it much easier to remove frost and ice from the windows. We tend to get a lot of heavy frosts in the fall and spring on days it gets above freezing during the day but drops below at night. You either have to spend 5 minutes hacking away with a scraper or wait for the heater to loosen things up. With rain-x, a half-hearted swipe and the frost flies off likes needles off a 3 month old Christmas tree. Sometimes I don't even need to do the windshield, just let the wipers take it off.

+1

I favor the Rain-X brand fluid - as with many here who live in colder areas, I've truly noticed it to be superior in terms of frost and ice protection. It's honestly THE thing that kept me safe on a particularly harrowing trip on the PA-Turnpike a few years back.

However, I have noticed that with most "conventional" rubber wiper blades, it does tend to leave a bit of deposit behind (i.e. "film," "build-up.").

My current pairing of the Rain-X fluid with a set of PIAA silicone wiper blades seem to work very well. No streaking throughout this winter - not even a whisper of the harsh "dry/frozen blade on windshield" noise that is so commonly heard in vehicles here in NE-Ohio during the colder months.

The PIAAs claim to be good for a year - I'm currently nearing the 6-month point, and am impressed enough by them that I will install a set for my wife's WRX come this spring (her "conventional" blades are still new, and quite effective).

Build-up of the fluid residual, though, is easily seen at the perimeter of my windshield in the unswept areas!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

OK, a question for all the rain-x fluid lovers.

Is the rain-x you get a nice bright orange like sherbert, or more of a pinkish color. I've seen three colors of rain-x in various places bright orange, bright pink, and what looks like a 50-50 mix.

Around here we get the bright orange stuff except in the middle of winter, then it's the slightly pinkish stuff. The bright orange stuff is what is streaking for me.

Archived