LegacyGT.com

Discouraging Issue

VTGT

i know this may not apply to everyone, but just think back to the issues with a previous car... the studdering, lack of power, etc., was much more annoying than with the LGT. This is a great car and like mccorry said, this small problem is GREATLY exaggerated.

I can easily recreate the stutter with the engine plenty warm, temperature has proven irrelevant in my car, it doesn't get that cold here anyway. I can also easily avoid it by keeping the rpms up. It's a matter of adjusting your driving style accordingly. It gets me most when I'm in slow traffic and then traffic suddenly starts moving more quickly. I don't typically downshift because there's a good chance they'll be slowing down again, but accelerating from a little over 2K rpm will almost undoubtetly cause studdering in my car.

Get the cobbAP!! Simply: my car stuttered somewhat during break-in, after Cobb AP = never stuttered again.:) Plus, i think the AccessPort also will prevent any rattles from developing:icon_bigg

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Get the cobbAP!! Simply: my car stuttered somewhat during break-in, after Cobb AP = never stuttered again.:) Plus, i think the AccessPort also will prevent any rattles from developing:icon_bigg

Oh I will. Just can't afford it yet. :(

IMHO, the stutter is pobably mostly a function of driving techniques. I shift at higher rpms and I observe my own "2K Rule" which means that I never cruise below 2K rpm in any gear (which means the car never sees 5th below 50 mph), and I don't have the stutter, even for the 10K miles before I got the AP.
Ron

I never experienced a "stutter". I love the engine in the car. (I only "like" the suspension because it has a bit more body roll than I'd like; I only "accept" the brakes because they just aren't as good as other coupes and sedans I've driven, most recently my 2002 BMW 330ci coupe w/sport suspension).

IMHO, the stutter is pobably mostly a function of driving techniques. I shift at higher rpms and I observe my own "2K Rule" which means that I never cruise below 2K rpm in any gear (which means the car never sees 5th below 50 mph), and I don't have the stutter, even for the 10K miles before I got the AP.

I try to follow the same rules too. No stutter. Even when I'm not paying attention and mash the gas at 1500 RPM I don't notice a stutter though. '05 MT

Chris

As others have said, it's not a big deal (to most) and definitely do a long test drive (especially city driving), or just lots of test drives. ;)

I've only experienced what I would describe as "mild" stuttering or hesitation, which I'm not sure is even the same as the stuttering mentioned here by most. I only notice it mainly in 2nd gear (sometimes first) and only mildy accelerating, around 2500rpm at low speed.

It's just midly annoying for me and doesn't really affect my opinion of my LGT. My last car, an Audi TT, showed mild stuttering in 1st gear at low speed (no, it wasn't close to stalling :lol: )

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I did not get the deal i expected on an 06 so i guess i'm settleing for the 05. Problem is most of the 05's i have looked at are demo cars that have been loaned and have had over 4,000 miles on them. I am somewhat woried that these "loaner" cars might be abused or not taken care of.

dont let the studder scare you away. some have it, some dont, I never experianced it with my 05. its a great car, and well worth the price

+1

I rarely notice it (think once every few months). I only notice it if I drive like a grandma and have it in 4th gear doing 50 KP/H and decide to floor it. It has some hesitation there, for about half a second, but anyone who has any 5MT skills knows to downshift into the right rpm range and thus, hesitation avoided.

I'd feel bad for you if you didn't buy this car because of those two threads.

Wow! Just got my 05 MT LGT Limited Wagon (last one in the state, I believe), and man is it smooth! No hint of studder so far. A much different experience from driving my 02 WRX. I almost wouldn't suspect this thing had a turbo. Clutch and acceleration were smooth as silk. However, I must admit, for January, this was a very warm Maine day (over 40).

Test drive the car. Make sure you like it. You likely won't experience any studder.

The "whoosh" feeling is the turbo spooling up, so when you first step on it, you kinda get a lazy acceleration, but it smoothly and quickly increases in force as you get above 2500 rpms. That delay is what some call turbo lag. No big deal--it's no worse than even non turbo engines that simply don't make much power at low revs.

The studdering feels like you were inept with the clutch, but you know you weren't cuz it's already all the way out. It could be the result of bogging or lugging--I've only had it once and it was just embarrassing to explain that I'm not that lame driving a stick. :)

But it wouldn't keep me from buying the car again. In researching what car to buy, you'll realize that all cars have their problems. Pick your poison. After that, enjoy it and don't dwell on the nits.

2005 outback xt, 5mt

stuttering is the worst when you have a fully loaded car (i.e. 4 people w/ gear) and are going up a mild incline in 5th gear, part throttle, at speeds around 50-60mph. In my car, can feel the engine hesitate probably 90% of the time in this type of situation. This drives me batty when I'm driving up to Tahoe with friends :(.

I also notice the stutter when driving by myself, especially when accellerating part-throttle on the highway. It isn't a violent "bucking" that I'm experiencing... it's a more subtle intermittent "hiccoughing" power loss from around 1500k-4000k rpms.

it's annoying. other than this issue, i am quite happy with the car. however, i can't recommend the car 100% to anybody while this issue persists.

I did not get the deal i expected on an 06 so i guess i'm settleing for the 05. Problem is most of the 05's i have looked at are demo cars that have been loaned and have had over 4,000 miles on them. I am somewhat woried that these "loaner" cars might be abused or not taken care of.

Well, there is no scheduled maintenance in that period, so there's really nothing to take care of. A 5EAT car should be fine. About the only thing is if someone test-drove a 5MT and did a lot of clutch-slipping. But, you should be getting a pretty good deal on a year-old car that was also a demo. Have them throw in an extended ESP.

Ron

Try pulling the 7.5a ECU fuse in the engine bay for a 30sec and replacing it. This solved it for me for >1000 miles prior to getting the AP which totally took care of it for me. Not sure how long it would have fixed it if I hadn't gotten the AP

I don't really find this an issue. I notice once in a blue moon, but like others have said, it depends on how you're driving. If this were such a big deal, it would be in a lot of reviews for this car, but I think I only seen it mentioned once by motor trend, and it's not even something they experienced, just something they've heard subaru was putting out a fix for(which apparently doesn't totally fix it). Anyway, I wouldn't let this minor stuttering issue set you back. Definitely take the car out for a while though and see if this is something that bugs you.

I've read many complaints here on this issue. It's not a "problem" but it is annoying and shoudn't exist in any car, especially at $30,000~ /car. My dealer has to "experience it" before they can fix they say. Of course it doesn't do it during my drive with the Tech. Next time into the dealer I'll ride him around all day to "experience" it.

That being said - WE are complaining to each other. We Should be emailing SOA, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Consumer's Report, the sport car mags, the turbo mags, government agencies, etc. I'll look into email address. Do you think SOA wants Bad Press out there? It's not a safety issue, so SOA doesn't need to respond, but bad press!

I've read many complaints here on this issue. It's not a "problem" but it is annoying and shoudn't exist in any car, especially at $30,000~ /car. My dealer has to "experience it" before they can fix they say. Of course it doesn't do it during my drive with the Tech. Next time into the dealer I'll ride him around all day to "experience" it.

That being said - WE are complaining to each other. We Should be emailing SOA, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Consumer's Report, the sport car mags, the turbo mags, government agencies, etc. I'll look into email address. Do you think SOA wants Bad Press out there? It's not a safety issue, so SOA doesn't need to respond, but bad press!

A $30K car is a middle-market car.....nothing "special" from a price standpoint.

Keep in mind, this is a 2.5 liter engine (approx. 155 cubic inches) in a fairly heavy car.When it's not on full boost, it's a dog. Yummer mentioned that he gets in a fully loaded car (4 people & gear), going uphill in 5th gear between 50-60 mph.

OF COURSE it ain't gonna like it!! That's lugging the hell ot of the car!! I would be in 3rd gear in that circumstance!

Driving alone, my car never sees 5th until at least 50 mph (2K rpm). If I had other folks in the car, or a load, going uphill, the car would NEVER be in 5th gear until at least 70 mph (which is 3K in 5th).

I will do easy cruising at NLT 2K in each gear, but with any load or incline, I'm in a gear that keeps me over 3K. This is the way to drive this car....as well as many others with small engines that need some rpm to develop power. This isn't a Hemi car that makes near-max torque at 2K rpm!

When folks who complain about the "stutter" win the Lotto and buy a $200K Ferrari, 'll bet they will also complain when the car "stutters" in 5th gear in traffic.

I have been driving small-displacement heavy cars (3.0 liter in 3,400#s) with 5-speeds for the last 15 years, and these type of engines need rpm to run properly. It was the same with my '84 911. It was 3.2 liters in 2,800#s, but did not like lugging.

Sorry this is an absolute non-issue. And yes, it's weird that the clutch stinks (all others smell like brake pads...which are basically the same material), but IMHO it tells you that you are slipping the clutch too much.

Ron

Dunno. I drive pretty aggressively. Hardly ever had my WRX below 3K. My LGT doesn't stutter; my wife's 2.5 XT OB does, at around 3-4K.

Well, my half-arsed analysis here is that (1) the OB is heavier, and (2) your wife may not drive as agressively as you do.

Folks must also keep in mind that these cars have the adaptive ECU programming, so it also can very well be that "grandpa" driving' doesn't help out the situation as the ECU "learns" those driving techniques.

FWIW, in my former SHO days (with an engine that "woke up" at 4K, and redlines at 7K), a lot of enthusiasts never wound the engine past 4-5K!! I would not have believed it if I had not experienced it firsthand while riding with others. More supposedly performance-car folks drive lke old ladies than they care to admt.

Ron

............when the engine is cold. When the engine is warm, there is no discernible stuttering. I would like to think that I am in tune with my car!

My new ECU is on backorder :icon_surp following the diagnosis of my radiator fans constantly on the high setting whenever the car is on.

Fkngrvn OUT...............

Well, my half-arsed analysis here is that (1) the OB is heavier, and (2) your wife may not drive as agressively as you do.

Folks must also keep in mind that these cars have the adaptive ECU programming, so it also can very well be that "grandpa" driving' doesn't help out the situation as the ECU "learns" those driving techniques.

FWIW, in my former SHO days (with an engine that "woke up" at 4K, and redlines at 7K), a lot of enthusiasts never wound the engine past 4-5K!! I would not have believed it if I had not experienced it firsthand while riding with others. More supposedly performance-car folks drive lke old ladies than they care to admt.

Maybe it's because the ECU learned from her driving. Dunno, but her car stutters when I drive it. When I drive mine the exact same way, AFAICT, it's smooth as glass.

Archived