Honda S2K

The Honda S2000 is  

69 members have voted

1. 1. The Honda S2000 is

• The perfect daily driver for a good looking lady
    • A bad idea. Get another Subaru.
    • Okay, okay, sweeer taa meeeee!
    • Great for weekends, but not daily.
    • Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries.

:golfclap:

Seriously though, it's a fun car and easy to drive around town. We stored one for a buddy for six months...it was his daily driver and his commute was 45 miles each way. We almost bought one, but got the Mini instead since it has four seats (we have two big dogs) and much lower insurance.

I am debating getting S2k or Z3M (roadster or coupe) for a weekend fun toy. I like the reliability of S2k, but love the low end torque of the inline 6 in a bimmer. I will most likely come down to price/condition and personal preference. I am somewhat leaning towards the Z3M...

We have an 00 S2k with 60k on it, got it right when they came out in nov 99, LOVE IT!!!! My dad drove it for the most part then sold it to get his RS6, I wanted to buy the S2k but wife wouldn't let me so my twin sis bought it, at least it's still in the family. In fact I have it parked at my house for the winter.

Anyway-The car is bulletproof, we have just changed the oil and done regular maintenance, no problems at all. The car is not slow if you drive it hard, it's really not meant for drag racing, but even below VTEC the car is not that slow. Above 6k it rips.

I wouldn't say the S2k is impractical as a daily driver, but I would like a second car for the rainy days (it's ok in the rain but you have to pay attention). Don't even think about driving it in the snow without some snows, also you don't really want to drive it with the oem tires in the very cold, as any high performance tire goes they don't like to grip in the cold too well. The Vettes/M cars have a lot more torque and feel a lot faster but I have had no problems keeping up with E36 M3's which share the same engine. Being a Honda if it does break you are probably looking at 50% of what the BMW would cost in repairs. PM me with any questions.

As an owner of a S2000, I would reccomend test driving one or arrange a ride with someone local instead of relying upon opinions of people not familiar with the car. Routine maintenace is affordable. Expect to replace rear tires between 8000-12,000 miles and fronts will get about double due to agressive camber spec from the factory.

Don't expect to gain much hp with bolt ons, most will only gain a few hp for the money. The car is a pure and simple a two seat roadster that just happens to spin to 9,000 rpm:icon_bigg and loves the twisties. For the money, this is one of the best two seaters on the market. Mine is a garage queen used only top down days as well as an occasional track event so I cannot comment about using it for a daily driver. An S2000 requires you to pay attention especially if you want to drive it quick.

If you have any other questions, send me a pm

(Offtopic)...When, oh when will Subaru come out with competition for the Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Mazda MX-5, etc?

I'm picturing a modern 914-ish ride; mid-engine turbo 2.5 with room for the future addition of a TT 3.0, 6-spd, and a self stowing top so there's no need for a seperate cover. We already know the STI's and LGT's are great Q-ships let's up the ante a little and get Subies noticed.

I own both! My new Legacy is my winter "beater". :) (Don't throw anything, just being honest) I drove my S2000 for three years winter and summer. Dedicated winter tires are a MUST, as has been stated. I track the car regularly, road courses only, and I'm an instructor for NASA Northeast, SCDA, and PDA Driving schools. You other S2k owners may recognize the name Rick's Signature Accessories, I'm one of the partners of this business. Just like the other s2k owners, I'll gladly answer any questions you have on the car. I have had mine since '99, it is car number 854 from the firts year's production. You can also browse or search the s2k forum at www.s2ki.com. It's interesting to see this topic come up since I just purchased my Legacy a week ago. I have been reading your posts trying to learn as much as I can about the car.

Regards,

ReedZ

I would certanly recommend S2, and not only cus selling them, but more cus it is THE best bang for your dollar. After trying shifting gears on it you are not likly to like anything else LGT included. Over all it's a very well balanced car that will last a long time.

It is possible to find one out of lease with low miles on it that's the way I would go.

But now a reality check. It IS NOT good for every day driving- to stiff, and if it's snowing and you do not have a diferent car- you are screwd for shure.

. It IS NOT good for every day driving- to stiff, and if it's snowing and you do not have a diferent car- you are screwd for shure.

In it's stock form it is STIFFER than the LGT, but not unbearable. I drove mine for three years. And it IS driveable in winter. I did it for three. Dedicated winter tires are ABSOLUTELY necessary since the stock tires are almost R-compounds. I can say this with conviction because I did it without a single incident through a couple of really bad winters here int he northeast. Think ahead of where you are driving and make moderate corrections.

No torque. Wait for the '07 Soltice Turbo this fall . About $27,000 and 260# and 260 Hp. A 9000 rpm redline is cool at times but gets old to me as a daily driver.

good point...

except that no real reliability data...and that saturn badge

oh and u can turbo the s2k too

A 9000 rpm redline is cool at times but gets old to me as a daily driver.

Have you driven one? The direct feel of the throttle, steering and 6sp make up for any real lack of torque. You can drive it like a 'normal' car and it's plenty capable, yet the beast is unleashed when you need it.

For six months, I had one in my garage along with my daily driver - a modded CRX Si. The S2000 was better in every way, without ever getting to the VTEC, so it's certainly not necessary to drive it at 8/10ths or more to enjoy the car.

I have one and love it. Honda really put alot of time into engineering this automobile. All you have to do is buy it and drive it. No mods are necessary. Trust me, most of the people who mod this car loose performance or are just doing it for the bling (we are all guilty of that). The car really is a gem though. The gearbox is sex.:icon_surp :icon_surp

i was watching top gear today and in britain, the S2000 was voted the most satisfying car to own out of like 160 cars. 2nd was the IS200/300

i am personally a big fan of the S2000...i mean i always liked it cuz of its stying and specs and what not, but wen i first got a ride in a friends a few months ago....wow. even as a passenger...i was like...wow. that thing SCREAMS. and it takes corners like its nobodies business. my reasonable dream garage would def have to be an LGT and a S2000, hands down. the S2K is amazing.

OK, I am not going to go the technical route this time...

I am not going to immediately argue the pros and cons of S2k vs Miata, vs Solstice, vs Mini, vs... whatever else...

I am going to go at this from a personal perspective.

Buy your wife a convertible. S2K is probably a great one. Any of the above are probably great ones.

First RULE:

Make your wife look for cars. She needs to make this choice, Not Us certainly, and not even you.

Second RULE:

Encourage her to get what she wants. Suggest she get a FUN car. Suggest a bright color like red, blue, or yellow. (Women want to be stylish. They try very hard to be in most other realms. They sometimes don't think of it when it comes to the car they drive, though.)

Third RULE:

Listen to the little tidbits about her liking one color, or this interior piece, or that detail. THAT is what will get her to love the car. Horsepower and performance stats won't impress her much. If they did, you wouldn't be asking this question here, and she'd already be driving the car she had been eyeing for a while.

Few other tips...

Bring up things like trunk space. Helps to think that you'll be taking this car on weekend jaunts to the country. You can't if it has no trunk (Ask me how I know...)

Ask her if she wants leather or not. That is something she'll care about. Paint color, as I mentioned before. What options does she think would be cool?

Side note: I was looking at Mazdaspeed 6 and Legacy Spec B, and pointing out the differences to my wife... She was uninvolved completely as I mentioned the keyless entry and keyless start that the MS6 has. I don't see the need for it, and I prefer the security assurance of a key, especially for the ignition.

*** She loved the idea.*** She started talking about not having to fish through her purse for keys, not having to juggle hands full of shopping bags (key thing there, for women...) and not having to worry about whether the car is locked as she walks away from it (automatically locks when key is out of range...)

THAT sort of thing is what you need to listen for, or pitch her on.

My wife has a Miata. We've had it for almost 5 years. We love the thing. I barely fit in it, yet we drive it all over the place. Snow tires in the winter and everything. She loves washing it, and enjoys how good it looks.

SHE LOVES the attention she gets. Children, other passers-by all comment on it. (it is bright red) AND she loves driving it. She is very proficient with a manual transmission, and it is a very easy car to drive. It isn't scary fast, and it isn't hard to drive smoothly, it is light, and she feels great about it being manueverable and stable on the road. She loves that it turns on a dime, and stops sure-footedly, every time.

So. If she wants the s2k, or any other sporty convertible, GET IT, and get her what she wants. She will love it more and more as she owns it.

My wife has actually gone out of her way to mention to me that she loves the car (years after buying it) and was glad that I helped her find one, instead of a normal boring coupe or sedan, like she had. (Toyota Corrola GTS 5MT, not that boring, but it is compared to a roadster.)

I hope this helps. Keeping her happy is a good way to keep YOU happy.

Archived