LegacyGT.com

Time for a new clutch

Well, its finally time for new clutch in my wagon. I have never done it before, but am well inclined mechanically. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the process. The one thing that bothers me is that it looks like I must drop the exaust to pull down the tranny. By the way, she is a 2wd suby. Any tips would be helpful.

Guest *Jedimaster*
wiener stop being a wiener [/img]

:lol: +1

when I want a low rider w/ fast response I take the wagon, when I want my real awd LGT I ride the sedan. When you buy used, you take what you can get.

Today 07:42 PM :mad:

I'm with ya brudda :)

Well, I just finished the install, went with a exedy stage 2, very nice! On a scale of 1-10 of hardness compared to other clutch installs, this one was about an 8. Yes the exaust had to come down. (side tip, buy your bolts for the exaust from the dealer before the install, I couldn't find them anywhere) I ended up making new ones from parts from the help! department in autozone. Not the best but will make due until my header install. I am very happy with the improved shift perfomance, who would have known 3rd gear chirp?:icon_tong

What are the step that you need to do?

1.) pull exhaust

2.) pull driveshaft ???

3.) unbolt tranny bellhousing from block?

4.) remove front half shafts ???

5.) Slide transmission back and down ??

etc, etc, etc.....

Well it's kinda drawn out but here goes:

remove negative battery cable, remove air intake tube and hoses (makes it easier to see tranny bolts), remove clutch cable & neutral cable, remove positive cable off starter and remove, jack up and go below, remove the plug for the o2 sensor, remove exaust at exaust manifolds 3 bolts per mainfold, remove spring bolts at cat, unhook exaust from back tranny mount, remove 2 bottom bolts off tranny (there is only a total of 4 major tranny bolts 17mm), back up top, remove 2 upper tranny bolts, remove the dogbone like trans mount, and its bracket, remove spedo cable, remove plug for reverse sensor, take a chain or something and support motor from rear, i used a pry bar wedged over my strut bar, back down below, take a jack and strap it to the middle of tranny, remove shift linkage there are 2 different bolts for the two pieces, remove the bolts that hold the trans mount towards the back of the tranny i think its a total of 4 bolts all 17mm, then jack down and pry gently off engine, slow and easy it will come off. a few good tips, use locktite on all internal bolts for the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch, make sure you replace all bearings, pilot, and throw out, grease the pins on the tranny to make install easier, its a bit*h to get out, make it easy to get in, get a buddy to help, its easier to steady the tranny out and in, don't forget to readjust the clutch pedal on install either with a cable tranny or bleed the hydraulic, and don't skimp on parts the torque gained with less slippage during shifts is reason enough to want to go with a racing clutch. next upgrade 4 me is STI trans mounts if the fit. :icon_tong

Archived