LegacyGT.com

Be wary of the muffler shop that doesnt know what a uppipe is

I couldnt believe it, I went to a muffler shop today, it seemed performance savy Flowmater and Borla banners, claiming custom exhausts the whole nine yards even a nice window display. I asked the manager for a quote for installing my uppipe. The guy said, "what's a uppipe?" I told what it was, and he said "thats not an uppipe its a header". I told him it wasn't but he didn't believe me. Come on!!!! You have a exhaust shop and you don't know the components of a turbo exhaust, then he said if it had a Cat he couldn't do it anyway!! Itold him the dealer will do it but it cost $225. I know I could do it but if someone could do it for less then $150 why bother getting dirty. Any way I won't be going back.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Um....

1.) Not all turbo cars have up-pipes.

2.) By law (I believe), he CANNOT remove a factory installed (OEM) catalytic converter.

3.) Most exhaust shops don't really get into headers or turbo connections. They usually do cat-back stuff.

Subaru doesn’t call it an uppipe (look in the manual) its "8 pipe, front 44104FE080" The term uppipe is specific to Subaru community so don’t hate the shop.

Its also a federal offence to remove cats, so I understand where the guy is coming from...

:munch:

I couldnt believe it, I went to a muffler shop today, it seemed performance savy Flowmater and Borla banners, claiming custom exhausts the whole nine yards even a nice window display. I asked the manager for a quote for installing my uppipe. The guy said, "what's a uppipe?" I told what it was, and he said "thats not an uppipe its a header". I told him it wasn't but he didn't believe me. Come on!!!! You have a exhaust shop and you don't know the components of a turbo exhaust, then he said if it had a Cat he couldn't do it anyway!! Itold him the dealer will do it but it cost $225. I know I could do it but if someone could do it for less then $150 why bother getting dirty. Any way I won't be going back.

Sucks to live in California. LOL.

Sure does... How cold is it there in Vancouver again? :icon_tong

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/lgt3.jpg

-Mike-

Plan on installing ballon float tires and an out-drive pretty soon? Pretty car, but a boat would do you better right about now in "sunny" California.:icon_tong

I'm for the snow and skiing too. BC is awesome.:icon_bigg

^ Dealers love money, and love to void warranties...........LOL

Some shops have been sued, or in trouble or have heard stories, so they don't. It's their shop they can do what they want.....you'll find someone that will install it for a good price....keep search'n for a good place

PDX near ya?

Do it yourself. If you're at all mechanically inclined its not only easy, but much more rewarding after its done. You can then go tell everyone that YOU installed it instead of paying someone $100+/hr to do it. Grab a buddy and a couple brews and go for it.

+1... the only way to do it IMHO.

MIKEBRAVO, if you're up for a bit of a drive (~1-1.5 hours) you can head over to Suby Specialties in Monrovia, Aerosim-Research in Costa Mesa, or Harman Motive in Torrance. All do great work, and specialize in Subaru's.

Cold enough to go skiing every night after work :icon_tong

Psshh... I can drive 2.5-3 hours to Tahoe from my house in S.F. or 1.5 hours from my family's home in L.A. It does snow in CA. :icon_tong

Plan on installing ballon float tires and an out-drive pretty soon? Pretty car, but a boat would do you better right about now in "sunny" California.:icon_tong

Boat? For what, 1.5 days of rain? :icon_bigg Here's the forecast for this week in sunny CA...

http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/32.gif

Sunny High

72°F

;)

-Mike-

I'm actually going to Torrance tomarrow (1.5 hr). I'm going to the Cusco wharehouse to pick up my sway bars. The VP is suppose to be their and apparently he owns a LGT wagon with full Cusco and coilovers. I hope it will be their so I can check it out. Do you have the # for Harman Motive?

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Archived