LegacyGT.com

10,000 miles and I still hate the transmission

RangerMan

Okay, that is a bit of a lie. I don't hate the transmission, I just hate that I stalled backing up my driveway today (still don't like the way the clutch engages) and hate the fact that I ocassionally will miss the 1st-2nd shift if I am really going at it.

From a power perspective, I am still very happy with the car. I have considered increasing the power, but it is lower on my list than getting some new tires after the stockers wear out and improving the quality of the shifts.

I have searched around and wanted to see if these were the correct mods to make to the car. It seems that a short throw shifter, some bushings and an upgraded transmission mount would/should solve many of the shifter "feel" problems. For the clutch and the cars perpensity to stall when reversing I either need to learn to drive or replace it...however, I would be worried that going to a performance clutch would be trading one problem for another. Is this the right path to take?

Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the clutch in this car either. You can definitely make the stick feel better, but that's only half of the problem. :)

I still occasionally stall it and have a heck of a time getting a consistant launch. I hate to say this, but the wife's better at driving it than I am as it's her daily driver. She doesn't mind the clutch much anymore - HATED it when we first got it.

Not many people "like" the clutch. And, yes, the way it engages is what bothers me the most. I have been driving standards since 1985 and have never stalled a car like I do with this one (couple times a month). I can't really nail down exactly what it is, but I feel I need to give it more gas and slip it more than any other clutch I've driven. I don't think I've ever stalled the wife's MCS in the 2 years we've owned it.

I hated my clutch at first, but i've gotten used to it now...cept I've kinda over powered it and launchs aren't even worth trying now.

There's this one parking spot at school that I stall in every single time I back out of it. I dunno what it is, but I always stall there.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I haven't stalled in quite some time now, but I haven't even attempted to launch it either! The last time I tried to launch was between 2800-3000rpm and the clutch pedal didn't want to retract all the way.... so it was slipping on it's own!

I don't recall ever owned a "dual mass" clutch, so that could be it.... although I have yet to look up the solid definition of "dual mass" either! I'm lazy!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

you got the CDV action, you let up on the clutch too fast and it locked up on you to protect the tranny.

We have a dual mass flywheel, not clutch. You really shouldn't be able to dectect a difference from a single mass to a dual mass other than a dual mass is usually noticebably heavier.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I stall about once a month, my 04 rex is much better,

smoother engagement and more predictable, I can't

ever remember stalling my rex.

Of course I always stall with ppl in the car so I get that

"you can't drive stick" look ion their faces, I can't

stand that. The clutch on the LGT sucks lemons.

The LGT is about equal with my '98 A4 2.8Q in terms of how often I stall it. I've stalled both considerably more than the three MT cars I owned previously. Actually, in the case of the A4, I think it was not so much the clutch as it was the weight of the car combined with the lack of low-end torque of the Audi V6. I was hoping the LGT would be easier to launch because of better low-end torque, but the vague clutch makes it about equal. Although I stalled the A4 just as much I do the LGT, I generally got smoother launches with the A4 (I'm just talking regular, everyday launches from a stop).

However, the clutch on the Passat W8 6-speed that I test-drove was far trickier than either the A4 or the LGT. I stalled that car like four times before I got it off the dealer lot, and another two or three times before I returned it.

I've driven MT's for over 20 years, BTW.

I think its a combination of the vague clutch engagement and the DBW trying to figure out what you want when you're modulating the gas trying to get the car going. Whatever the reason, it sucks...

On the original topic, a shifter, bushings and the STI tranny mount definitely improves the feel when shifting.

The LGT is a somewhat heavy car and when you

load the engine too much like pulling away

from deep snow it'll stall on you quite easily.

You rev it higher to get it going put normally

you shouldn't have to. Stalled it a couple of times

backing up my driveway too, again that weight

thing.

The LGT is about equal with my '98 A4 2.8Q in terms of how often I stall it. I've stalled both considerably more than the three MT cars I owned previously. Actually, in the case of the A4, I think it was not so much the clutch as it was the weight of the car combined with the lack of low-end torque of the Audi V6. I was hoping the LGT would be easier to launch because of better low-end torque, but the vague clutch makes it about equal. Although I stalled the A4 just as much I do the LGT, I generally got smoother launches with the A4 (I'm just talking regular, everyday launches from a stop).

However, the clutch on the Passat W8 6-speed that I test-drove was far trickier than either the A4 or the LGT. I stalled that car like four times before I got it off the dealer lot, and another two or three times before I returned it.

I've driven MT's for over 20 years, BTW.

I owned an '04 WRX for over a year and have owned my '05 STi for a year now. The Impreza clutch is TONS better than the LGT clutch any day of the week. I'd say the Impreza clutch is prolly one of the most friendly clutches I've ever driven.

What's funny about the LGT clutch, is it changes from day to day. It'd be one thing to just get used to where it engages and learn to modulate correctly. But depending on who knows what, the thing seems to have a mind of it's own-possibly as it heats up? Very strange clutch.

I must say, I'd still prefer it to a slushbox though. No offense intended.

On windy roads, I try to rev match in corners. I still don't get it quite right an sometimes upset the car. I am curious, at what point in the corner do people engage the clutch/select a gear?

before/after

always (ALWAYS!) do your shifting before the corner. if you can heel/toe sufficiently you can accomplish your shift while braking. if not...do your braking then rev match pre-turn in. regardless....never (NEVER!) shift when mid-corner.

The LGT is the wifes car, her daily driver.

With the holidays, we find we are taking her car to relatives, etc. In these cases, she lets me drive.

In order to drive smoothly in this car, you REALLY have to rev it to pull away from a stop, and to shift smoothly, you really have to slip the clutch a LOT, and NOT lift fully on the throttle between shifts.

Most of these causes have been touched upon several times in past threads.

This is what I came up with while sifting through all the threads.

Dual Mass flywheel: 25% responsible. Instead of a simple standard flywheel, manufactureres are going to dual mass to dampen vibrations between engine and transmission. Simply, there is a spring dampner inside the flywheel, dampning vibrations and driveline noise. Problem is, the clutch disc is spring dampened as well. Now you have two distinct contributors to wind-up.

DBW: Drive by wire. 75% responsible. This car is the worst I've seen at throttle responsiveness. Just blip your throttle and.....NOTHING! It trys to think for you. "You didn't REALLY want to blip the throttle....did you?" If there were a way to make this CRISPER, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In order to drive smoothly in this car, you REALLY have to rev it to pull away from a stop, and to shift smoothly, you really have to slip the clutch a LOT, and NOT lift fully on the throttle between shifts.

Did you feel this way when the car was new? For our 5MT (wifes daily driver also), I would disagree with this statement 100%. i barely have to rev to pull from a stop...least of any car ive driven and i dont slip at all between shifts although i do rev-match.

weird.

Does the reflash address this? I haven't been current on these forums lately.

From Cobb Tuning's website:

"Revised Electronic Throttle mapping (BASE MAP CHANGE). We did this to improve the throttle response and remove some delays present. It took some tweaking to find a setting that gave the response we were after without making the car feel "jumpy". Note that we DID NOT simply trick you into feeling more response by opening the throttle more aggressively. Instead, we changed the delays in how the throttle actually reacted to your right foot in an effort to reduce some of the "drive by wire" feel."

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Right now, I'm looking for a FACTORY reflash/fix for this. Not aftermarket, until the warranty expires.

Not that this car REQUIRES a lot of revs to pull out, but with the sloppy DBW, feathering it is pretty touch and go. I'm used to trucks that DON'T need ANY throttle to pull out.

Archived