LegacyGT.com

10,000 miles and I still hate the transmission

RangerMan

Right now, I'm looking for a FACTORY reflash/fix for this. Not aftermarket, until the warranty expires.

Not that this car REQUIRES a lot of revs to pull out, but with the sloppy DBW, feathering it is pretty touch and go. I'm used to trucks that DON'T need ANY throttle to pull out.

I hear that, even my Ranger barely needs throttle to get into gear (and yes the clutch is still good). If it is really slick (snow when I lived in the frozen tundra of Rochester, NY) I would feather the clutch at idle to get the car moving and then start to give it the tiniest bit of gas. I can even shift the Ranger faster than the LGT, especially the 1-2 shift. That is just plain lame.

And yes, I stalled the car today with 2 buddies in it. One of whom I had recently made fun of for stalling his car while on a hill. Karma.

I've stalled the car a once or twice. The LGT clutch is annoying and the transmission is a vague. If something can be done to increase the feel...that would be great but I'm not sweating it. Hopefully a reflash will make throttle blips and H/T a little more rewarding? Alas, I don't think there is anything you can do to make a LGT shift like a Miata, S2000 or Elise.

Okay, that is a bit of a lie. I don't hate the transmission, I just hate that I stalled backing up my driveway today (still don't like the way the clutch engages) and hate the fact that I ocassionally will miss the 1st-2nd shift if I am really going at it.

Thanks!

it's something you have to get use to.. the car isnt exactly tailor-made to anyone's style ;) If it was, we all be lying to ourselves.

good thing you weren't all too serious about 10,000 miles and still hating the car.. I am at 40,000 miles, thank goodness I dont hate it 4 times as much as you do..

10,000 miles should be enough for you to get use to the car's clutch..

I only stalled out like the first 1 to 2 months of owning the car (I thought something was wrong with the car until I changed my footwork).

Keefe

Be thankful you don't drive a Saturn!

I drove my sister's Ion sedan and the clutch was entirely too light! A 2 year old could engage that clutch quickly with his/her hand!

I'm waiting patiently to see how much of a difference the AP will make by changing the response time w/ the DBW setup.

Sometimes I feel that on more spirited acceleration from a dead stop, the car refuses to acknowledge the fact that I have the tack at a 2krpm! HaHa!

The car's saying.... "Nope.... think again buddy!"

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I've had my car for about 38,000 so far and I really don't have issues with it, rev matching, getting it into gear, or killing it. Sure sometimes I bog it a bit, but I haven't killed it in quite some time. Just takes a little getting used to, then again, that takes me like 5-10min in a car and I'm comfortable with most any clutch.

Driving a big truck with a clutch is more fun. Love the heavy truck clutches. :)

Xenonk, it would take more than just some little nitpicky things for me to actually hate the car. Just frustrated a little since it isn't "perfect" for me yet. I guess that is what the aftermarket is for! I am sold on changing the mounts and shifter since that is more of a feel thing and don't like how the car behaves when I really rail on it in 1st and try to get to 2nd.

The stalling will occur under circumstances where I want to get in gear but not really get moving yet - something of a habit I am in since I drive my truck about 50% of the time and I drive the LGT the other 50%. I just need to remember to slip it a little more than I would in the truck.

I just need to remember to slip it a little more than I would in the truck.

I think that's the whole deal right there. I really hate slipping it any more than absolutely necessary, but it's either that or stall the car from time to time.

What, another hate-the-clutch-cause-it-stalls-like-crazy thread? :lol:

I'm sure it won't be the last, either.

I have 8K on my GT and can't stand it. I have been driving manual transmissions since 1966 and this is the worst one I've had to live with for sure. I've driven worse but never in a new car with so-called "advanced design". My clutch, what little I can feel of it, seems to engage from one inch off the floor to one half inch from the top. I can't tell you folks how many times I've stalled the damn thing. I've missed more shifts than I ever did in years of drag racing. Keep in mind that I'm babying this thing because I read the reviews before i bought it and it still is very aggravating. These are design faults. There are too many people who have noticed these problems. Honda got it right years ago, what's Subaru's problem? I normally keep cars 5-10 years, I will be disposing of this car when the basic warranty runs out. I should have bought the Acura TSX for $2K more. The AWD and heated wipers just aren't worth the grief the drivetrain gives me.

I test drove two other cars before I bought my Spec B, and out of the three I drove (the Spec B included), I like the clutch in it the best.

I test drove a Mazdaspeed 6 (hate that clutch) and an Evo MR (clutch was OK), and in comparison to the 2001 Celica GT-S I traded in, I thought the Spec B had the best clutch.

Smooth engagement, although since it is so quite compared to my old GT-S, I have killed it twice. Both times pulling into my driveway.

Overall I am very happen with how the clutch engagement works on my car.

I'm new to the LGT, but have years of experience on the 02 WRX, and about 7 months worth on the 05 2.5 XT OB. So, far, I love the LGT clutch; however, I've only driven about 50 miles with it to date. I had one experience of the clutch kind of "getting stuck" mid-engagment on my wife's OB, during a high rev launch. Never stalled any of 'em (WRX, OB, LGT)

• 4 months later...
While that smell does get annoying, the clutch is just fine I think. My dad in 2 months of driving the car has only stalled it twice, once on the first day and once on the second. He has been driving since the 70s though so he probably has more experience than many with these things. All he does is rev it to about 3000 rpm (peak tourqe) let out clutch halfway, then apply gas and let it out the rest of the way. is that so complicated?

My Wrx a 2004, clutch was more progressive than the LGT. But like they say. You just have to get used to it. I don't stall it anymore. When I first got it, I felt like a beginner all over again. I driven manuals since 1979. So I don't have the most experience here, but the LGT made me rethink and re habit so to speak my shift clutch technique. As above, many have said, the stinky clutch smell is the only annoyance for me. I have to admit that the Wrx had a worse stinky smell than the LGT interestingly enough.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

After 28k I need a new one. I will leave the duelmass along and going with the ACT flywheel and a RS clutch. I finaly drove a car WRX with that set up and much better with a little heaver feel to the pedal but it was great!

Archived