LegacyGT.com

Hand cranking on stand to get oil flowing?

So thanks to this forum we are getting close to dropping the motor into the LGT. While waiting for the clutch parts to arrive I was wondering if it would  be a good idea to put oil in it and crank the engine by hand without the plugs installed to get some oil flowing and test for any pressure.  If I did this do you think that my mechanical pressure gauge would see any pressure at all?  Even seeing the slightest flow of oil coming out of the gallery oil pressure line feed would give me some peace of mind.  After all the time and money spent on this project I want to do as much as I can to avoid messing this up.

All advise is appreciated 

Thanks for all of your help.

Tom

Short answer is ‘’no’. You’ll never get enough vacuum hand cranking for the pump to pull anything up and send it anywhere.

If you used assembly lube during the rebuild, then critical components will be protected during first fire-up. A little oil in the turbo chra never hurt either.

Pull the fuel pump relay or use the clear flood function and crank until you see oil pressure, the fire it up as normal.

People have developed some pretty crazy means of using pressurized garden sprayers and the like to prime the oiling system, so you can investigate that. But given that every Subaru the rolls off the line is just filled with oil and starter, you should be just fine.

If your sure the engine will fire up and first start, that is the way to go. Mine started just like it does every time. If you think your going to have starting issues, pull the fuse and crank for about a minute or a little more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here