LegacyGT.com

Front Top Strut Mount Options

Last June, I lowered my LGT by installing the Koni strut inserts (fronts), Koni struts (rear), and Swift springs. The Konis and Swifts dropped my wagon to an acceptable ride height and the ride/comfort is just as comfortable as stock.  

In December, I started experiencing a clunking noise from the front suspension, which turned out to be the strut top mounts, and I ended up replacing with new OEM mounts (20320AG00A). At the time I replaced the mounts, I didn't compare the new and old mounts. After the install and lowering the car back down to the ground, it was very noticeable that the front wheel gap had increased about 3/4"-1" and my wagon was sitting with a slight reverse rake (the rears have 1/2" saggy butt spacers). 

The way the wagon sits has been bothering me. I purchased another set of OEM strut mounts to compare to the stock/factory mounts and noticed that the new mounts have a slightly different design and a taller profile.

I attached pictures to this post that show the height difference. The original/factory mount is ~9/16" from the bottom lip of the cup where the spring sits to where it mounts to the body. The new OEM replacement is ~15/16" from the bottom lip of the cup to where it mounts to the body. In the original/factory mount, the cup is where the top of the spring sits and is partly recessed into the original/factory mount whereas the new OEM mount, it sticks out.

I went to O'Reilly's to look at the KYB mounts (SM5806) and they are designed like the new OEM replacement mounts and have roughly the same height profiles. I looked at what's offered on RockAuto--Monroe, Beck Arnley, etc.--but it's difficult to see if they have the same height profile.

Does anyone know if there are front top strut mounts that have a similar profile to the factory mounts?

Are there other options to lower the front of the car? I went the Koni/Swift route based on others posts and recommendations for lowering the wagon w/o sacrificing ride quality. The front currently has roughly a 2-1/4" inch gap between the wheels and the fender--I would like to be at 1.5" or less to be at the same wheel to fender gap as the rear.

PXL_20240314_195836687_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20240314_200142652_copy_768x1020_1.jpg

Edited by mejum
*added and

Pretty sure that is the difference between a Spec B/JDM mount and 'other'.

I think the solution is to get new Spec B mounts. Dealership should be able to get them, but they're probably also available elsewhere. Maybe rockauto etc... if they state compatibility with Spec B suspension.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The spec.B mounts are coming up as part number 20320AG00A, which are the same for the GT and what I ordered and pictured above.

However, when searching the forums, there is a suggestion to use part number 20320AG01A--is anyone able to verify that they are the lower profile top hat?

17 minutes ago, mejum said:

The spec.B mounts are coming up as part number 20320AG00A, which are the same for the GT and what I ordered and pictured above.

However, when searching the forums, there is a suggestion to use part number 20320AG01A--is anyone able to verify that they are the lower profile top hat?

Spec B mounts are 01A.