LegacyGT.com

Check engine code on a 1990 Subaru Legacy

I just purchased a first generation legacy (called the liberty in Australia for legal reasons, same car) and I have a check engine light I'm not sure about. Reading codes and manuals I saw the flashing is your code, I counted 4 long flashes and 7 short ones, so 47. However, I didn't see anything in the codes relating to 47 for my model. Does anyone know what it means? 

The car runs well, the only noticeable issue is the air conditioning doesn't cool the air at all just blows air. I'll take that to get fixed sooner or later, but I want to make sure I'm not causing any issues with the engine in the meantime. I bought some fully synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid for it, as the guy who I bought it from said he didn't know what the check engine light meant, and a mechanic told him it just needed to run through the gas in the tank due to sitting idle for so long. About a full tank later of 95 and no real change. 

The full model of the car is: SUBARU LIBERTY GX, HERITAGE Auto or Manual BC BC7 08/1990~06/1994 4 Door Sedan AWD PETROL 2.2 litre, EJ22 F4 16v SOHC MPFI {100kW}image.thumb.png.12e591961322aa1c60e036b182b9cc67.png

The only thing I can find that's even remotely related is a list of codes for 83-88MY, and 47 is listed as just 'fuel injector'.

Downside to those older cars is that it may not even be a fuel injector fault, it could be oxygen sensors, air flow sensor, older cars had such a fuzzy logic that two other things might be out of spec and it'll set a code for something unrelated.

It being a '90, it could be worth a try getting them (injectors) professionally cleaned, outside of the car with a machine, or even just using a higher quality or octane of fuel.  Here is the US I refuse to use ARCO gas, may as well just put water in the tank. I only ever filled up at an Arco once, in 2005. My car at the time ran like absolute hammered dog shit on that tank.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silverton said:

The only thing I can find that's even remotely related is a list of codes for 83-88MY, and 47 is listed as just 'fuel injector'.

Downside to those older cars is that it may not even be a fuel injector fault, it could be oxygen sensors, air flow sensor, older cars had such a fuzzy logic that two other things might be out of spec and it'll set a code for something unrelated.

It being a '90, it could be worth a try getting them (injectors) professionally cleaned, outside of the car with a machine, or even just using a higher quality or octane of fuel.  Here is the US I refuse to use ARCO gas, may as well just put water in the tank. I only ever filled up at an Arco once, in 2005. My car at the time ran like absolute hammered dog shit on that tank.

You might be on to something with the fuel thing, because allegedly the mechanic who took a look said the fuel was bad and just needed to be used up. Since I did that now with a full tank of nicer gas, it could be the fuel injectors, so yeah I'll inspect them and if they're super dirty get them cleaned.