LegacyGT.com

New struts? 01 GT

Is there a reputable company that makes a strut assembly for my 01 Legacy GT daily?

I tried to find KYB, but they don't seem to have a strut assembly - only the shock replacement.  At 250K I'm concerned my springs have gotten tired also. 

TIA

Monroe makes quick struts, rockauto specifies they're for the L model but that will only MAYBE be a slight change in dampening or spring rate.  At anyrate, they will be tons better than your assumed 250k originals.

• Like 1

Monroes will be an easy install and definitely better than flogged OE units.

I'd personally go through the trouble of getting the KYBs and finding some springs you like tho, or new OE.

Depends on how much you like the car, and how long you want to keep it, I suppose. If it only sees relatively tame DD duties, Monroe would be fine. I have Rallitek springs +KYB rears on my 05 OBW, and threw Monroe quick struts in the front because I was in a hurry and it's was my daily. In hind sight, I wish I'd taken the time to move the springs over to KYBs or find some better ones. But, I do probably push the old girl harder than most, considering it's a DD.

• Like 2

Just now, rjnakata said:

Great suggestions!  Noob Q: Do I need a F & R alignment after installing?

Yes, if you are super careful you can get close to what it was (sharpie on the bolts); but I wouldn't drive a long time without getting a proper alignment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely.

You might be able to inspect and reuse the bump stop and dust cover, but I would plan to replace the mounts.

They have seen a quarter of a million miles, this would likely be the only time you would have to do this and they are tired.

• Like 2