LegacyGT.com

Uneven Brake Pad Wear.

Attached some pics. These are from my wife's '08 legacy front brakes. What could be the cause?

Calipers are only a couple years old.

Also it looks like my cv axle is bad on the front right. Grease coming out of the transmission-side boot.

Loud howling coming from the front right (I think). Figured that was the bearing.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20240409_170908610.jpg

IMG_20240409_171029144.jpg

IMG_20240409_172907627.jpg

IMG_20240409_172921366.jpg

27 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Slide pins are probably seizing on the corner that is badly worn out.

Remove all, clean pin + bore and lubricate with (only) silicon grease.

One caliper pin was seized on the driver side (1st photo). Both pins glide freely and smoothly on the passenger side (third photo). The pads are pretty seized in the brackets though. I always wire brush and grease the bracket/clips when I change brakes. Think that'll do me?

40 minutes ago, NoviceSubyOwner said:

One caliper pin was seized on the driver side (1st photo).

That tracks.

I have always found that almost any pads except for relatively high end stuff or OE never seem to fit the calipers well. I would say that in 90% of all brake jobs I have done over the years (my own, but dozens of brake jobs for others....) the ends of the pads where the small extension (tab?) fits into the notch in the caliper, or whatever other arrangement thay have to mate up, needs to be filed down to allow the pad to slide freely.

I want the pad to not be loose, but have practically no drag when you move it around manually in the calipers. I then coat all the filed surfaces with high-quality anti-sieze and do an annual inspection of my brakes to check for anything sticking. Even better if you have a minute to re-paint the tabs you filed down to make the pads move freely, but I seldom have time for such things when throwing some new brakes into a car with the discount hardware provided...

So... I tend to buy the best quality pads I can afford for my own rides, and whatever the person wants if I am doing the job for a friend or whatever as side hustle.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

If you look in the Brake & suspension forum you'll find a sticky, like Clints brake tips. 

I have had issues with calipers for years. NAPA honored the 12 month warranty years later, Seems the reman company had issues with a jig.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here