LegacyGT.com

Trouble with Lights on Shifter console

So, I have a 2019 Legacy 3.6R limited.  I have had troubles with the lights (P R N D/S) on my shifter console.  I just replaced them for the second time.  I do not remember what color the lights were when I bought the car, but I do know that my second set were red (which matches most of the other interior display lights in the car).  The new lights that they used to replace the red lights are white.  I have asked the dealer a couple times to confirm that white is correct, and they insist that they should be white.  They say that the previous replacement was wrong.  Just based on the other lights on the interior, that seems a little sketchy.  

Can anyone confirm the color of the lights on their shift console?  Thank you very much.

I believe the white are correct. However I may be wrong since I rarely look at the color of the shift console lights.

Let me jump in the Leggy later(have to start it anyway) and put the lights on.  I'll let you know.  

And the answer is

Red!  

In the picture it makes the P,N, and R look White for some reason.  But I can verify it's Red. The Parking Brake button and the hill decent button are also Red.

And the M-D does not light up. Probably because you can see it on the center display between the Speedo and Tach.  

17122801912115408175561943672337.jpg

Edited by MoleMan
Forgot to place pic

Interesting.   That is what I thought.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised the dealer lied to me. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to check.  I really appreciate it.   

No problem.

Added pic just in case for reference.

Mine is an 18 but I do not think they would go from Red to White on the 19 considering it was the last year of the Generation.

Dealer probably has two part numbers and guessed wrong.  But all the sixth gen should have the same bulbs.  Maybe he thought it was a seventh Gen?  But IDK about the lights on those.

Glad I could help.

Edited by MoleMan
Spelling

Thanks.   I see the photo now.  That will be really helpful to have.   Fair point on the dealer.  I should give them the benefit of the doubt.  Cheers.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, CBrown said:

So, I have a 2019 Legacy 3.6R limited.  I have had troubles with the lights (P R N D/S) on my shifter console.  I just replaced them for the second time.  I do not remember what color the lights were when I bought the car, but I do know that my second set were red (which matches most of the other interior display lights in the car).  The new lights that they used to replace the red lights are white.  I have asked the dealer a couple times to confirm that white is correct, and they insist that they should be white.  They say that the previous replacement was wrong.  Just based on the other lights on the interior, that seems a little sketchy.  

Can anyone confirm the color of the lights on their shift console?  Thank you very much.

The lights are red.  Not white.

The indicator light assembly consists of an LED soldered to a small printed-circuit board, plus an optical lens/diffuser to distribute the light. The most common failure mode seems to be cracks developing in one or more solder joints on the PCB. Over on the Outback forum, several owners have reported successful repair by simply reflowing the solder joints using a low-wattage, fine-tipped soldering iron. (A steady hand is also required; blacksmiths need not apply.) YMMV.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/gear-shift-indicator-light-out.473017/page-5#post-6452992

spacer.png

A crack is visible at the lower left of the image below:

spacer.png

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

6 hours ago, ammcinnis said:

The indicator light assembly consists of an LED soldered to a small printed-circuit board, plus an optical lens/diffuser to distribute the light. The most common failure mode seems to be cracks developing in one or more solder joints on the PCB. Over on the Outback forum, several owners have reported successful repair by simply reflowing the solder joints using a low-wattage, fine-tipped soldering iron. (A steady hand is also required; blacksmiths need not apply.) YMMV.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/gear-shift-indicator-light-out.473017/page-5#post-6452992

spacer.png

A crack is visible at the lower left of the image below:

spacer.png

My question now is: how involved is it to get to that circuit board.  I assume the whole consol and armrest needs to be removed...    

3 hours ago, Beamercub said:

... how involved is it to get to that circuit board.

Read the entire thread at the link I posted. I haven't done the repair myself (yet), but those who have report that it's pretty simple. You do have to remove the shift knob, but after that only a few tools are required ... beyond a  couple of plastic pry tools for trim removal.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png